Dennys Restaurant in Santo Domingo / El Conde - many thumbs down

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
After many times trying these different franchises here I made a policy to NEVER set foot in one again in the DR. Not only lousy food, but at twice the price you would pay in the US.
Have to agree with what you are saying about the franchise restaurants here. The OUTBACK at PRV is atrocious.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you need to go 'uptown' , Tango

suits your style better !!!!

no flapjacks for you..... eggs benedict is more like it for you

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Denny's at the airport closed some time ago...last I saw. Just ate (again) at Denny's in Naco and it is great and it is open 24 hrs.
We've had breakfast and lunch there several times. It is always good, service always great. Worth every penny...I mean, peso.

IHOP at Sambil-I though it was better than the Denny's in Naco, but they disappeared a year or so ago and never returned. Last I heard, they were supposed to relocate to Churchill and it never happened.

Also, Johnny Rockets on Lincoln disappeared and became a fast food stand in Sambil-not even close to the same.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Denny's at the airport closed some time ago...last I saw. Just ate (again) at Denny's in Naco and it is great and it is open 24 hrs.
We've had breakfast and lunch there several times. It is always good, service always great. Worth every penny...I mean, peso.

I live in ZC and have enjoyed Dennys for breakfast and s great hsmburger once a week.Hamburger with fries and drink are around 500 pesos, so not much more than a hamburger in Dennys stateside.But if yoj wsnt to go to franchises,you pay here in DR because everything is taxed at least 17% or more.
Bob

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
you need to go 'uptown' , Tango

suits your style better !!!!

no flapjacks for you..... eggs benedict is more like it for you

That holindaise sauce is fattening. I cook quite a bit in my condo, or have a someone come in occaisiinaly. Believe it or not my favourite egg is a poached egg with the yolk soaking into the toast. Mmmmmm.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
All I ever said is that they charge a lot more than in the US and serve an inferior product.

For me I pass, you may feel different, no hard feelings at all.

Though i agree with you to some extent, i disagree in the part where you implied that the food quality in every franchise in DR is worse than in US. Chili's in DR is an example of a franchise that surpases it's US counterparts both in the establishment and the product. And the prices are not that much higher.
Outback is also pretty good, Fuddruckers, etc.
McDonalds is also better in quality than in the US, even though the prices are higher (still pretty cheap though).
Wendy's, the same as McDonalds, but much more expensive, but still not THAT expensive.

BTW, i cringe at the idea of a Dennys in Zona Colonial. That is no place for a US fastfood restaurant.

I don't care that much for american foodchains, like local restaurants more. The hamburgers from Mustards are far superior to anything hamburgerwise in any American corporate foodchain present in DR.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I live in ZC and have enjoyed Dennys for breakfast and s great hsmburger once a week.Hamburger with fries and drink are around 500 pesos, so not much more than a hamburger in Dennys stateside.But if yoj wsnt to go to franchises,you pay here in DR because everything is taxed at least 17% or more.
Bob

Exactly, i've been to most of these chains in the states, and in some cases what you end up paying is even MORE expensive than in DR. Restaurants overall in the US are much more expensive than in DR. The only cases where that does not happen are in american fastfood chains.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Well thought i'd give the Dennys on the Conde a try...bad mistake...probably the worst meal I've had in the DR in a long time.

...Who ever heard of substituting mash potatoes for hash -browns? ...

ROTFLOL.

It's really hard to screw up breakfast. I'm terrible in the kitchen, but still I can make a good breakfast.

I've never had issue with Denny's in the US (I'm in Illinois). Seemingly, quality control does not travel abroad!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Dennys will go like the rest of buisness in the Z.C. I passed by yesterday [Passed by as there is no parking thanks to Maribel. ] The park on a Monday is usually full of people yesterday is was empty. I drove up Catolica found 3 more buisness closed [Maribel said she would increase buisness in the Z.C.] Came down Merino and 4 more buisness closed. This all in one month. Such a shame to see people that had buisness in the Z.C. for years leaving the Zone.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
$35 Million dollars and she took it all They are now searching for funds to rebuild the hotel francase. Robery in plane sight and no one could stop her Maribel gets the award of the century. She probably has a mansion in Miami now !

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
All I ever said is that they charge a lot more than in the US and serve an inferior product.

For me I pass, you may feel different, no hard feelings at all.

This is like arguing with a dominican. They do not charge the 28%. The DR govt does. Get it? Are you happy with the infratructure and benefits the 28% gets you from the DR govt?
then complain to them. Has zero to do with franchisee.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is like arguing with a dominican. They do not charge the 28%. The DR govt does. Get it? Are you happy with the infratructure and benefits the 28% gets you from the DR govt?
then complain to them. Has zero to do with franchisee.

So, any tax that is added is no problem for you to pay. It is to be deducted from the final price even though it came out of your pocket? Bottom line: YOU PAY A LOT MORE THAN IN THE US FOR A LOT LESS.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree 100% with sky. i don't give a single fcuk how much of the final price is a tax, 99% or 1%, what counts is how much i pay from my own pocket.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
So, any tax that is added is no problem for you to pay. It is to be deducted from the final price even though it came out of your pocket? Bottom line: YOU PAY A LOT MORE THAN IN THE US FOR A LOT LESS.

Well duh. You suggest they lose money so that a dip**** that doesn't understand taxes pays the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I have not found any place in the DR that serve a nachos so good as Denny's Zetsy Nachos, or their Bourbon Burger, it's incredibly too good. I only tasted Denny's breakfast in the state, so I can't really compare, but food is incredibly great on portion, price and quality.
Wendy's burgers are so tasty that you can eat the patties by itself. There are some crappy US Restaurants here, but there are others that go on par with US Quality and flavor.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have not found any place in the DR that serve a nachos so good as Denny's Zetsy Nachos, or their Bourbon Burger, it's incredibly too good. I only tasted Denny's breakfast in the state, so I can't really compare, but food is incredibly great on portion, price and quality.
Wendy's burgers are so tasty that you can eat the patties by itself. There are some crappy US Restaurants here, but there are others that go on par with US Quality and flavor.

There are whackos here that hate US food and franchises. They seem to think that if another wendys opens, suddenly all the plato del dia places go out of business.
Why they enter a thread about a us franchise to say they don't like them is beyond me. I hate sushi, I have zero problems if more sushi places open. Options are good and I realize that a ton of people like sushi.
I also would not even enter a thread about a new sushi place, let alone enter to bash sushi places. Seems childish.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I ate breakfast yesterday at Dennys on the Conde. Food quality and service was good. The price was a little higher than in the US but due to DR taxes. If you can't afford Dennys then eat at home.

Michael Christopher

Mar 18, 2014
Denny's at least here in Northern California is like a truck stop, it would take away the character and charm of the colonial zone.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk