Dentists in Puerto Plata

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
Hi,

I have Salud Bucal Insurance with ARS CoopSalud (Copal) They list all the following doctors in Puerto Plata, can anyone recommend someone from this list?

My family and I thank you. Fernando.
Alestris Senior
Elby J Francisco R
Freddy Lepe
Gloria Cabreara
Jose Alberto Reyes
Lourdes Lantigua
Maria L Gomez
Soraya Bujosa
Vivian Perez de Finke

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I went to Jose Reyes, good office, easy to locate, Speaks english, did a very good job. He is friendly and understands being petrified of dentists.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've been going to Fredy Lepe for 11 years. The practice has grown.......he now has an endodontist, Joaquin Lopez (root canals) & an orthodontist (braces) whose name I don't have, but who happened to be there when I had a root canal just before Christmas. This man is hilarious.........he is a Pakistani with a VERY British sense of humour. I was having my root canal done by Dr. Lopez & the orthodontist somehow found a large Black & Decker drill & burst into the surgery I was in........I would imagine he is great with the kids needing braces! Also fluent English, of course, plus Spanish, probably a trace of other languages too! ;)

The dental work in this practice, in my experience, is fine. Their understanding of time keeping, well, I'm still working on it. They learn, though. The first afternoon appointment is 2.30. Dr. Lopez showed at 3, having been phoned by Frede Lepe to tell him he had an ENGLISH patient waiting! They have now altered their afternoon start to 3pm!!! Vamos a ver whether that actually means 3.30 or not.........I'll let you know tomorrow.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I know freddy lepe for many years. Many friends of mine go to him and I have sent many satisfied patients to him over many years of time frame. He is the best in puerto Plata region (in my opinion). He sees more patients than any other dentist in the region, that alone will speak of his reputation. Don't listen to a single bad experience that is listed by someone on this board, there are people who just can't be satisfied.
AZB

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Dr. Carlos Martin Sanchez in POP (near Banco Popular/Central Park)

Has anyone been to him and if so, would you recommend him? Good/bad experiences welcome.

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
Thank you all for your prompt reply. We have made an appointment for friday with Dr. Lepe's office.

Salud,

Fernando.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
JDJones,
You went to a dentist WITH an abscess? (You not the dentist!). I'd never do that...........when Joaquin Lopez did my root canal before Christmas, before I went to him, having felt the incessant throbbing & knowing I had an infection, I put myself on a course of antibiotics to clear it before I went. There is no way I'd let a dentist anywhere near my mouth whilst I had an abscess, because of the increased risk of transmission of bacteria into the bloodstream & the ensuing problems that can cause. My dentist in UK would never operate whilst I had an abscess, & I maintain her advice is good for this country, too.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Frede Lepe, DDS - Excellent ! !

I've used Frede Lepe 3 - 5 times over 8 years in POP. Including putting crowns on 5 implants in 2003, a lot of dentist work & lab work. I've always found him to be efficient, honorable, & [usually] punctual!! Not a Dominican [good news? bad news?] He epeaks exc. English. He may be a little bit more expensive than some of the others. 1 patient's opinion, . . . he's worth the money!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
New invention at Fredy Lepe's

bugaloo,
just thought I'd give you advance warning of a new invention at Fredy Lepe's. I was there this afternoon for part 2 of my root canal by Joaquin Lopez & as Fredy wasn't there they were using both surgeries for Joaquin's patients. His male nurse settled me in the chair & left me whilst it descended to horizontal. Having arrived at the horizontal position, the chair then made a cranking noise & proceeded to shake. Of course, given where we live, I immediately thought it had developed a fault & was about to take off. I had visions of myself through the wall out into Duarte & round the corner to the Amber Museum on a runaway dentist chair for which I was unlicensed straight into the arms of Amet who would doubtless have questions............ ;)

So I called out (because no-one was in my surgery) 'Is this vibration normal?'
Well.............turns out it is very normal, it is a massage chair, designed to relax the patient before surgery. Didn't quite work in my case for reasons outlined above! The 'off' switch is like a remote in a plastic pocket to your right, bugaloo, should you need it.

Part 2 of the root canal went just fine. Joaquin agreed to my request for no anaesthetic (he took the nerve out last time, so real pain should not occur). I have 1 or 2 more appointments to go.....I think only 1 will be necessary, so 1 it'll probably be ;)

And on the time keeping........you'll recall from an above post the appointment was for 3 pm. Well, just as I was about to leave home, the receptionist phoned & changed it to 3.15. Can't complain at that, the message has got through that the English woman doesn't like sitting around twiddling her thumbs waiting. I was called in at about 3.30 & then subjected to the runaway chair treatment, presumably as a diversionary tactic so that I could not read my vibrating watch!! I am all agog as to what the diversionary tactic will be next time..........

I have no complaints as to the dental work.......the fact that I can crack a joke about all of this, on the same day as treatment without anaesthetic, proves to me, at least, that Joaquin Lopez knows what he is about.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
bugaloo said:
Hi,

I have Salud Bucal Insurance with ARS CoopSalud (Copal) They list all the following doctors in Puerto Plata, can anyone recommend someone from this list?

My family and I thank you. Fernando.
Alestris Senior
Elby J Francisco R
Freddy Lepe
Gloria Cabreara
Jose Alberto Reyes
Lourdes Lantigua
Maria L Gomez
Soraya Bujosa
Vivian Perez de Finke
Not on the list, but Dr Ivan Rivera is EXCELLENT. I just had a root-canal done. His Tel # is 586-3432. Many "Snowbirds" use him. Canadian Bob.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I guess that is where you & I differ, JDJones. I'll do as much of the diagnosis as I can myself......with anything.......medical, dental etc. Then I present my diagnosis to them, we discuss it & I ask them, if they have competing theories, to present theirs to me, plus their evidence/proof & then we discuss those. Eventually we arrive at a mutually agreed plan of what should be done by way of treatment. I consider myself an active partner in this process, rather than a patient.

No it isn't easy being my doctor or dentist! I must have a deep seated phobia about not being considered a guinea-pig.............. ;)

And BTW if your jaw is throbbing you have either an abscess or an infection which could become an abscess...........you'll know for next time. ;)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Root Canals...........

..........in Santiago are now being done IN ONE VISIT.......by the good dentists. Some friends of mine from CT just came and we had them done. The doctor's there are now using computers instead of X-Ray machines and they take a "computer xray" of the tooth and blow it up so large that it is absolutely amazing.

After that experience, I have had friends here that have had 2 wisdom teeth pulled, another with another root canal and I myself personally had 4 implants all at a cost of about 1/3 of the US price.

By the way, we all used to go to Dr. Lepe.........we liked him, he's a nice guy etc, but POP dentists no longer compare to the technology of Santiago.

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks Lambada. Very funny story. I believe the wife is going in with Joaquin tomorrow. (Car permitting)

I just realized that both our nicknames are based on wild dances! ;)

POP Bad Boy:

what is the name of that dentist office with the supped up X-rays?

Gracias to all!

Fernando A.K.A. Bugaloo

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
JDJones said:
I mean, I went to the dentist to find out what the problem was. At no time was I given any type of prescription or advice to take antibiotics before the dental work was done. I didn't think I had an abscess, but my jaw was swollen and throbbing.
I was not crazy about getting a root canal, believe me. But after Freddy looked at it, he directed me straight to Joaquins chair.
I want to be fair here, and mention that even though I thought 8 visits were too many to do a root canal (isn't it usually done with one visit in the states?), Joaquin did what I thought was a good job, until he finished the root canal after all of those visits, and the swelling and throbbing were still there. That's when the jab with the pointed object came, and I've had the hole in my jaw oozing fluids ever since. The swelling did go down, but I still have a dull pain in my jaw.
Anyway, I don't want to keep kicking a dead horse.
Now, does anyone want to recommend a good dentist in Santo Domingo??
Any dentist with half a brain would have suggested a regiment of antibiotics first.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
BUGALOO, The Info on 3 in Santiago is .......

;) Per my previous post the doctors are:

IMPLANTS: Dr. Juan Alonso Genao Frias
Edif Ingco 1 D-1
Av. Republica Argentina
La Trinitaria
Santiago
971-3616

BRIDGES/CAPS ON IMPLANTS: Dra. Carolina Gonzalez Nova
Calle 12 A. Acevedo #5-2
Casi esq. Metropolitana
Los Jardines
Santiago
247-3344
ROOT CANAL WITH THE "SUPER DUPER" XRAYS:

Dr. Gonzalez (lost the card but will be there tomorrow and get one and then post it.

He is on the 2nd floor of the same building as Dra Carolina Gonzalez Nova listed above.

Both of these Dr's were referred to us by Dr. Genao who is VERY well known for implants / wisdom teeth pulling etc.

THESE DR.'S REALLY PUT THE OTHERS TO SHAME.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Root Canals in Santiago

I had to have two, and believe it or not, fell asleep during both procedures. Dr. Manuel Paulino (582-4139) specializes in root canals, has a very modern office with all the computer x-ray goodies and understands panic. I was very reluctant to have them done here and figured I could always run. He assured me that it would be all right and it was. The first tooth took one visit, but the other required more time (and antibiotics) due to severe infection.

Dr. Vivian Bonnelly (587-4851) is our regular dentist and did the crowns afterwards. Both are excellent dentists.

Dianne

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
But....

bugaloo said:
Thanks Lambada. Very funny story. I believe the wife is going in with Joaquin tomorrow. (Car permitting)

I just realized that both our nicknames are based on wild dances! ;)

POP Bad Boy:

what is the name of that dentist office with the supped up X-rays?

Gracias to all!

Fernando A.K.A. Bugaloo

Just as an aside, I am pretty sure Lambada can .... but can Bugaloo actually Bugaloo???

Another thread....