Deslinde Process

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I just wanted to clarify something with the new land registry law which came into effect in April 2007. Am I right in thinking that you can still purchase a parcel of land (which is part of a bigger parcel) without a deslinde but that, even after you've paid the taxes applicable, you cannot register it with the land registry until a deslinde is produced?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Thanks Ladybird. I did do a search. I am aware that a parcel of a larger piece of land cannot actually be registered at the land registry without a deslinde but what wasn't exactly clear to me was whether it's the responsibility of the vendor to produce the deslinde or whether it's acceptable for the buyer to produce their own deslinde after purchase.

I realise that most 'canny' people would require a deslinde before purchase, but sometimes time constraints don't allow this, especially as Fabio has hinted that the new process is an unknown one and has estimated that it could take up to 6 months or more. I'm sure there are many people with parcels of 'undeslinded' land that they wish to sell and who are not going to be able to wait in excess of 6 months (or however long it takes to produce the deslinde) before putting them up for sale.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The buyer may produce his or her own deslinde after purchase in order to be able to record the property in his or her name. It should be understood that there is some risk involved in having the property still recorded in the name of the seller for any appreciable amount of time.