Device to Slow Electric Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2007
I have heard about the device, it's called "cajita magica" and it's been around since 2009

EDE Este trabaja para enfrentar nueva modalidad de fraude - Hoy Digital
http://www.elnacional.com.do/nacion...un-nuevo-metodo-para-cometer-fraude-electrico

here is some explanation on how this box works:
(it corresponds more or less to what was explained to CB)
LA SUPER CAJA MAGICA AHORRAR LUZ Y DINERO | LA VEGA | La Vega

MAYBE it really works, and maybe it is even legal in the USA as they state (and the company selling it in the link above is form the USA) but according to the DR paper articles listed above, here, most likely it would be considered illegal, and good luck paying expert witnesses for your defense then to get charges dropped.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can't say about the "Electricity Saver", but I just bought a device that you hang on your cars fuel line to give you 40 to 50% better fuel economy!
What will they invent next???????????
I bought two, I'm sending one to "Barry"!
Energy Policy?,...
Fixed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No argument from me. The science doesn't add up.

But then again if it's just junk, why would the power companies consider it to be a serious fraud and theft of electricity?

afinidad el?ctrica

How can one "slow the meter"? What kind of device can be added after the meter that slows the reading? How can one consume more kw that the meter shows that results in a bill?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How can one "slow the meter"? What kind of device can be added after the meter that slows the reading? How can one consume more kw that the meter shows that results in a bill?

You cannot, if it's after the meter, that simple :)

I have yet to see anything "official" from an electricity company that classes these types of post meter devices as fraud.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power Factor Explained - Explaination of Power Factor Correction

Power Factor Explainedpdf file, 1,311 KB

Most industrial and some commercial operations use electric motors and associated plant such as conveyors, HVAC, escalators, lifts, lighting & machinery, all introduce varying measures of inefficiencies in the form of additional currents drawn as ?inductive reactive currents? onto a sites electrical supply.
The inductive reactive currents serve no useful purpose and place additional burden on the electrical supply by reducing the efficiency, reducing the utilisation of switchgear, transformers and increasing monthly utility bills.
Power factor in simple terms is a measure of electrical efficiency, a typical un-corrected power factor in most industrial & commercial organisations is around 0.80pf (80% electrically efficient) which in real terms means a 1000Kva transformer can only supply an 800Kw load, a reduction in utilisation by 20% which can also be applied to the switchgear and cables.​
Power factor correction targets the ?inductive reactive currents? by intelligently introducing capacitors onto the supply to counteract the inductive element of the load and increase the electrical efficiency to around 1.00pf (100% electrically efficient)
Power Factor Correction can offer Substantial Savings on monthly utility bills and reduce circuit currents to enable additional loads to be fitted to an otherwise inefficient electrical system.
For further information, contact a member of our team or click onto the ?Power Factor Explained? link, an independent assessment of power factor and the implementation of power factor correction.

<tbody>
</tbody>

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
All this energy talk..............
And I still get AA mixed up with AAA..........:rolleyes:
Don't get me goin on 9 volt...........

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Please do not try to commit this type of fraud. Outright theft of electricity in the DR, has been proven time and time again to be perfectly acceptable.
I stated in the beginning I have no intention of doing this.

I'm just curios the technology behind it, how it works. How can you slow a meter down past the meter without getting anywhere near the meter?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I stated in the beginning I have no intention of doing this.

I'm just curios the technology behind it, how it works. How can you slow a meter down past the meter without getting anywhere near the meter?

Point of clarification. I was not actually referring to "you" directly, but was referring to the situation in general where it is perfectly acceptable for people and businesses to steal electricity and has been that way for many years with no repercussions at all.

Why should a device that merely (albeit incorrectly) reputes to save a per centage on the bill even be a subject of debate?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have loads of info on this but won't bore you with it all. Just one story. Dom husband had a gym. Wanted aircon and i said too expensive. He said don't worry had a man who would slow down meters. Man came and did his job. Next day inspector came, said your meters are slowed down. Pay me RD$3,000 pesos or big sh*t. Paid money (of which some went to man who slowed down meter I am sure). Inspector didn't worry and left slow meters! Cost for whole gym and 7 aircons RD$1,000 a month (2002). Be warned if you get a man to slow down meters they tell electric company and split your fine. There are several other ways that big businesses or houses with high bills use to cut electric costs.

matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have loads of info on this but won't bore you with it all. Just one story. Dom husband had a gym. Wanted aircon and i said too expensive. He said don't worry had a man who would slow down meters. Man came and did his job. Next day inspector came, said your meters are slowed down. Pay me RD$3,000 pesos or big sh*t. Paid money (of which some went to man who slowed down meter I am sure). Inspector didn't worry and left slow meters! Cost for whole gym and 7 aircons RD$1,000 a month (2002). Be warned if you get a man to slow down meters they tell electric company and split your fine. There are several other ways that big businesses or houses with high bills use to cut electric costs.

matilda

trust me, matilda, i promise not to be bored if you explain to me how a 50 microfarad capacitor can cut down electricity use.

May 5, 2007
Read all of your posts and now I know less than when I began. Nothing to do with your comments (though a couple of you sound like my fluid dynamics instructor, one day the entire class thought they were understanding and got scared), I simply don't comprehend how a device added after the meter can go back and change or slow the meter down?

To me, it's kind of like adding a device after the burner on a turbojet and somehow reducing the fuel flow, just does not compute in my old slow brain

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Read all of your posts and now I know less than when I began. Nothing to do with your comments (though a couple of you sound like my fluid dynamics instructor, one day the entire class thought they were understanding and got scared), I simply don't comprehend how a device added after the meter can go back and change or slow the meter down?

To me, it's kind of like adding a device after the burner on a turbojet and somehow reducing the fuel flow, just does not compute in my old slow brain

i fail to see how the current can pass through the meter, get recorded, pass on to the panel, then the amount recorded by the meter gets reduced. i know that guys can turn back digital odometers with a program in a laptop, so i guess the makers of this device are probably saying that the machine has a lookback function that addresses the recording sector of the meter, and turns the reading back.

JoseArzabalceta

Mar 6, 2012
i fail to see how the current can pass through the meter, get recorded, pass on to the panel, then the amount recorded by the meter gets reduced. i know that guys can turn back digital odometers with a program in a laptop, so i guess the makers of this device are probably saying that the machine has a lookback function that addresses the recording sector of the meter, and turns the reading back.

The meter doesnt read how much current passes by but how much doesn't come back.
what those technicians do is to set a "bridge" that gets some current back to the meter.
it's an usual practice in America Latina specially in those countrieswhere electric generation
is a goverment owned business. Besides the honorable drawbacks we may have about it, we
should be aware that it reduces the efficiency and life of electric appliances.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The meter doesnt read how much current passes by but how much doesn't come back.
what those technicians do is to set a "bridge" that gets some current back to the meter.
it's an usual practice in America Latina specially in those countrieswhere electric generation
is a goverment owned business. Besides the honorable drawbacks we may have about it, we
should be aware that it reduces the efficiency and life of electric appliances.

Look up Kirchoff's law and tell me how that is possible?

Unless you mean that the meter is bypassed, which is stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.