DGA says it has seized more than 400,000 firearms in eight months

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
fuego-armas-3bf00c29-focus-0-0-375-240.jpg

The Customs Agency (DGA) reports it has seized in land, air and seaport operations more than 400,000 firearms and ammunition that had been illegally introduced into the country. This total is 65.8% more than in 2018, the highest of pre-pandemic years.

The DGA reports that the confiscations of the illegal firearms was 401,117 units, up from 300,791 seized in 2021.

The Dominican Republic has gone from confiscating 241,991 military artifacts in 2018 to 401,117 in 2022, the highest figure in the last 5 years.

Especially effective has been the use of the Rapiscan X-ray scanner model Eagle P60-S at the Port of Río Haina that has identified attempts to smuggle into the country 111,899 units of ammunition and firearms.

Eduardo “Yayo” Sanz Lovatón, director general of Customs, says the DGA is firmly committed to combat the smuggling of merchandise through the country’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
400K is not a drop in the bucket. I'd love to see them being disposed.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
They should send them to the police in 🇭🇹 .
I see your point. The obvious downside to that is: 1) When the cop know that the value of the weapon (feeding his family for 6 months) whoops....the weapon goes missing. Or 2) the bad guys shoot the cop for his weapon. Shot in the back or head

IDK the answer to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Illegal guns are bad.
Legal guns are bad too if used in the wrong way.
But I just hate to see high quality weapons goto waste.
Hurts my heart. 💔

Reactions: johne

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
It makes me wonder how many made it into the country that were not caught.
You thinking maybe like a 'bait & switch? Go ahead and grab these while three times as many get past? No mention as to where they were supposidly bound for.
Remember nobody keeps a weapon after it's used in a crime ... so ya gotta get a new one. Ain't capitalism wonderful?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You thinking maybe like a 'bait & switch? Go ahead and grab these while three times as many get past? No mention as to where they were supposidly bound for.
Remember nobody keeps a weapon after it's used in a crime ... so ya gotta get a new one. Ain't capitalism wonderful?
That is a possibility, but I was just thinking of the many more likely weapons that were not caught at all and just got through. Same situation with illegal drugs each and every single day. Making something illegal makes it more profitable to deal in.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It for the entire year, so highly doubtful it's some sort of bait & switch scam.

They catching many more now because of the new Rapiscan x-ray system they're using.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
It for the entire year, so highly doubtful it's some sort of bait & switch scam.

They catching many more now because of the new Rapiscan x-ray system they're using.
Good point, I really wasn't thinking of commercial vessels. But there is a (insert expletive) of hidey holes on them. And of course dockworkers csn be bought. Just like customs everywhere.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Good point, I really wasn't thinking of commercial vessels. But there is a (insert expletive) of hidey holes on them. And of course dockworkers csn be bought. Just like customs everywhere.
They can’t stop the drugs ..they can’t stop the guns…9 out of 10 drug lords agree:cool:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I think that t

I think that the 400,000 'firearms' includes shells and bullets.
Maybe if they are counting the shells and the bullets as separate items❓
They are usually one item until used.
Using them usually creates a body count also.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
400K is not a drop in the bucket. I'd love to see them being disposed.
Why disposed .. sounds terribly Wasteful .. what purpose would that solve .
Why not Inspect them ( a quick once over by a Gun smith can make a quick decision, and if they are up to Par , clean those , repair them , replace the Barrel , so if a Murder was committed with it , it can be tracked back to the Perp.
and then Donate these functioning Firearm to Law Enforcement to fight more Crime .
Cheap guns, yes by all means destroy them ... but if you are destroying Quality guns , what are you accomplishing exactly , might as well BURN seized CASH too while you at it ..

• Love

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
They can’t stop the drugs ..they can’t stop the guns…9 out of 10 drug lords agree:cool:
There is/was a show on cable called Locked up abroad. Explains quite nicely just how gullible, foolish and or stupid people can be when it comes to making a quick buck. Every one of them was a 'gimmie' for law enforcement.
Seeing the price of tequila, DR vs US, I even thought about bringing back some Cuervo 1800 especial. For personal use of course.

• Haha

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Why not Inspect them ( a quick once over by a Gun smith can make a quick decision, and if they are up to Par , clean those , repair them , replace the Barrel , so if a Murder was committed with it , it can be tracked back to the Perp.
and then Donate these functioning Firearm to Law Enforcement to fight more Crime .
Cheap guns, yes by all means destroy them ... but if you are destroying Quality guns , what are you accomplishing exactly , might as well BURN seized CASH too while you at it ..
Disposing 400K of arms is a drop in the ocean.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In my opinion, there are just too many guns in the world. so the more that are destroyed, the better. Coming from England, where we hardly ever see guns, it has taken a while for me to get used to seeing so many casually carried around here.

• Haha

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In my opinion, there are just too many guns in the world. so the more that are destroyed, the better. Coming from England, where we hardly ever see guns, it has taken a while for me to get used to seeing so many casually carried around here.

In theory I would agree with you. Unfortunately, the bad guys have the guns whether it's here or elsewhere. Self defense is a right.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Still trying to figure out why or how a Country as POOR as the DR in terms of how they Supply/ Arm and pay their Law Enforcement , can afford to Destroy 40- 80 Million Dollars of Firearms ..and thats conservative if what is on that Table is an accurate Sample, or perhaps just a Fake publicity photo ?
Destroy what is Trash ,and supply LE with the high end stuff .. I dont understand why this is so complicated ,but whatever .