Digital Cameras

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
gringo in dr said:
The canon eos digital slr is the cheapest digital slr on the market. In my opinion the Nikon D70 is a better camera for a bit more cash.

That is indeed a nice camera, along with the Canon D10. :chinese:

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Why

gringo in dr said:
The canon eos digital slr is the cheapest digital slr on the market. In my opinion the Nikon D70 is a better camera for a bit more cash.

Why is teh Nikon "better" than the less expensive Canon? How well do Nikon "Film" lenses work on the D70?

A>

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Argo said:
Why is teh Nikon "better" than the less expensive Canon? How well do Nikon "Film" lenses work on the D70?

A>

My preference, my opinion, leans towards Nikon. Do your own research and choose what works best for you.

The lense doesn't care if it's attached to a film or digital camera. It works the same way. Of course you shouldn't use a manual focus lense unless you want to bring along a light meter too. But any of the cpu auto focus lenses will work fine on an N80/F80, D70 or an F5 for that matter. Of course the servos on the F5 might be a bit too strong for the cheaper Nikkor lenses but they will work with it at least for a while.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
hi,

for nice "full size" cam try a canon, they produce the best colors IMHO, canon just relased the new g6 , a nice cam, but have a lot of models PowerShot Pro1, s70.

but if you want a small size cam give a look to sony 5mp t1 and new t3, pricey but you can carry it in your pocket and nowbody knows even when you have taken a pic :), I have one and have taken a lot of nice pics impossible with another cam. the only problem is in low light, but nothing is perfect.

check www.dpreview.com, one of the best sites

Last edited:

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
Help me find a cheap digital camera!!!

Hey guys,

I am in SD and these prices for digital cameras are ridic! The Canon A75K is selling for $400 U.S. when it is $150 at Best Buy in the U.S.! I really need a good quality digital camera- I will need to post pics on a website and possibly for printing out 11 x 17 posters. Where can I find a good quality camera for less than $200 bucks? Thanks.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
LSimone said:
Hey guys,

I am in SD and these prices for digital cameras are ridic! The Canon A75K is selling for $400 U.S. when it is $150 at Best Buy in the U.S.! I really need a good quality digital camera- I will need to post pics on a website and possibly for printing out 11 x 17 posters. Where can I find a good quality camera for less than $200 bucks? Thanks.
11x17 posters for under 200 bux?

You make me laugh! You need 4x that to get a good 11x17.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Escott, you're psyched.

I just happened to bump into someone who has the same camera you bought.

Amazing what those things can do. What I liked most was how you can set the film speed so that shooting without the flash in the dark still produces amazing shots.

I'm so jealous. After I get a larger snowboard for all the powder in the Sierra's I'm going to outfit myself similar to what you have.

I can't see how they can really be improved beyond what it already offers, although I'm sure they will. Perhaps it will cook leg of lamb while it measures light?

Something like that.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
They are constantly improving digital cameras, but as it stands right now they are still a long way off to matching the resolution of film.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cleef said:
I just happened to bump into someone who has the same camera you bought.

Amazing what those things can do. What I liked most was how you can set the film speed so that shooting without the flash in the dark still produces amazing shots.

I'm so jealous. After I get a larger snowboard for all the powder in the Sierra's I'm going to outfit myself similar to what you have.

I can't see how they can really be improved beyond what it already offers, although I'm sure they will. Perhaps it will cook leg of lamb while it measures light?

Something like that.
Hey Cliff, How have you been?

They are already up to 11 megapixel cameras and mine is a measly 8. I just don't want to spend 5k on one of those bad boys. Call me cheap:)

I didn't get the camera yet. I shipped it to my sister to save tax and I will probably get it this weekend sometime.

Regards,
Scott

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Escott said:
Hey Cliff, How have you been?

They are already up to 11 megapixel cameras and mine is a measly 8. I just don't want to spend 5k on one of those bad boys. Call me cheap:)

I didn't get the camera yet. I shipped it to my sister to save tax and I will probably get it this weekend sometime.

Regards,
Scott

You have to be careful with megapixels. They are not all created equal. A Nikon D70 is only 6 megapixels yet it will create much higher resolution pictures than a Nikon Coolpix 8700 which is rated at 8 megapixals. The difference comes from the size of the CCD's.

Rather than fill up this page with the reasons why, click here for reference:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2dig.htm

Kodak has DSLR's just under 14 megapixels. The best current estimates are they DSLR's will have to reach 25 - 45 megapixels to match 35 mm film.

Most land scape photographers are not using 35mm. They are using a medium or large format camera. You would need 100 and 500 megapixels respectively to match their resolution.

Scott

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Escott said:
When doing work on pictures on a computer and you enlarge the pic on a 3.3 mp camera it is all distorted quickly and you cant even see what it is once blown up. I do plan on printing larger than 8x11 and no less than 11x19 without borders.

Wait till you see my dolphins! LOL

Scott

I enlarge some photos that I took with my casio exilim (a great little camera) which is about 3 MP and the 8 x 10 came out perfect, printed on a photo printer I got for Christmas.