Direct Flight from Buffalo to POP?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Are there any direct flights from Buffalo to Puerto Plata?

With the Jetblue flights that go to NYC, do you change planes in NYC or do additional passengers board the plane?

Also can a CDN fly one way from Buffalo to POP and return with Westjet to Toronto?

Thanks!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No direct flights from Buffalo to POP. The Jet Blue itinerary involves a plane change at JFK. Both flights on JB are on jets.

The Continental itinerary requires a change of planes (and type of plane) at Newark since the Buffalo-Newark flight is on a fairly small turboprop.

Depending on flight availability (it changes with the season) it is possible to fly Buffalo to Atlanta, change planes and fly Atlanta to POP on Delta. There was some discussion of the possibility of a flight departing the NY area to POP but I don't know if it was ever scheduled.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
November 1

Are there any direct flights from Buffalo to Puerto Plata?

With the Jetblue flights that go to NYC, do you change planes in NYC or do additional passengers board the plane?

Also can a CDN fly one way from Buffalo to POP and return with Westjet to Toronto?

Thanks!

YES!!!! Jet blue does have flights out of Buffalo to Puerto Plata..Just not now, but they will again Starting November 1..The flight leaves at 5:50, and gets in to POP at around 12:10..Jet blue always has flights to pop, but for the last couple of months they cut back from two flights a day to one, and it happens to be to early to catch a connection out of lovely buffalo:ermm:, or Rochester,,Where I am from..

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

It depends. You can if you're an airline employee (or spouse or parent) flying interline. If this isn't the case with you, then you'll need to show the return ticket to Canada before they'll issue you a one way into the DR from Buffalo. Otherwise, the only people allowed to fly one-way to the DR from the US are Dominican citizens and residents.

Pedro's Wife 09

Mar 28, 2010
THe Buffalo - NY- Puerto Plata flight is not so bad at all ,I have done this several times ,however i did notice a 5 hour wait in NY on the way home .

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
YES!!!! Jet blue does have flights out of Buffalo to Puerto Plata..Just not now.

All Jetblue flights from BUF to POP go via JFK...none direct, not even seasonally! They do seem to be changing their schedule from time to time but the layover in JFK on the outbound flight is no more than a couple of hours usually. Also, it is a really easy connection as the Jetblue terminal, T5, has great amenities and it is not too far to get from one gate to the next, in the event you are short on time.

The return ticket issue is subject to opinion as I recently discovered after asking the same question here...but if you have it, it wont matter that it is on Westjet.

Good luck!

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Ok, I did some digging and unless there's a more recent law out there, the one I found states:

Ley No. 285-04, General de Migraci?n. Publicada en Gaceta Oficial No. 10291 del 27 de agosto de 2004.

Art. 117.- Las empresas de transporte internacional, sus agencias o
representantes deber?n:

7. Responsabilizarse por la efectiva salida al exterior, de los pasajeros
que arriben al pa?s en tr?nsito y deban salir del territorio nacional en
forma inmediata, por igual o distinto medio de transporte o desde el
mismo o diferente lugar al de su arribo.

In essence it says that airlines that conduct international travel are responsible for their passengers' exit from the country, whether it's to a different destination than where they originated from or back to the same place where they came from.

If the airline doesn't do it's due dilligence, it can be heavily fined. Airlines may not impose the return ticket, but by not doing so, they're leaving themselves open to potential fines and other punishment from the DR government.

Airlines will waive this requirement for airline (and interline) employees. If you're a regular-fare passenger you will not be legally issued a one-way ticket UNLESS you are a DR resident OR citizen.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
ooooops:surprised...I missed the direct part....That will never happen out of Buffalo...I was just pointing out that there is not even a flight out of Buffalo for POP now..as the only POP flight this month out of NY, leaves at 7 am..