Directions to Cigar Factories in Santiago please...

stan.bc

Oct 16, 2004
Hey folks,

have visitors from BC, they want to be taken to the cigar factory and as I was told the ones to go are up north... I was told either of these should be visited: Arturo Fuente or Leon Jimenez. Does anyone know if they offer tours? How do I find the directions to them (yes, I've check the DR1's directions page, they aren't there)?

Thanks in advance!
-Stan

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Or

stan.bc said:
Hey folks,

have visitors from BC, they want to be taken to the cigar factory and as I was told the ones to go are up north... I was told either of these should be visited: Arturo Fuente or Leon Jimenez. Does anyone know if they offer tours? How do I find the directions to them (yes, I've check the DR1's directions page, they aren't there)?

Thanks in advance!
-Stan

or contact Oskar Nausch at donesteban@verizon.net.do, Tabacos Don Esteban S.A.

stan.bc

Oct 16, 2004
thanks, done both, if anyone else has suggestions/experiences with either places please post away, the time is pressing us to go tomorrow...

stan.bc

Oct 16, 2004
directions...

Thanks bienamor, here's what Oskar sent me (maybe somebody else will need it):
A. Fuente is in the Santiago free zone at Ave. Circunvalacion. E. Leon Jimenez is on Ave. Juan Pablo Duarte leaving Santiago on your way to Tamboril at the right hand.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stan.bc said:
thanks, done both, if anyone else has suggestions/experiences with either places please post away, the time is pressing us to go tomorrow...
You can try calling Cusano Cigars in the US 1.800.347.1921. I know their cigars are made in or around Santiago.

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Tobacco

stan.bc said:
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance!
-Stan

Hi, Stan, I spent a pleasant four hours at the Leon Jimenes Industria de Tabaco last October. I am sorry I do not recall the letter of the concho (?) that I took when I tired of walking, but it was an easy trip out to the museum. There is an excellent anthropological exhibit on site, too, that I found as fascinating as the cigar-making. It presents all aspects of Dominican life--cultural, geographical, historical. I do not know if it was a permanent exhibition or not. Also, the modern art on display was outstanding--rivaled some of our the galleries I had seen in NYC and here in Houston.

I didn't call in advance or anything--just showed up and almost had the place to myself. The workers even let me sit down and try to join their ranks but the cigar I made was scary looking! I think cigar-rolling is a lot more challenging than it looks. I don't smoke cigars (saw fire-eaters at a carnival as a child and was forever off nicotine) but I like the way the tobacco feels and smells. Afterwards you and your friends can enjoy a free beer in the very nice coffee shop/cafe on the premises and shop for packaged cigars, etc. for friends back home. The tobacco area has its own gift shop and there is another one related to the exhibits in the other building.

I can't remember the address but I think it was on Avenida de Febrero, somewhere along there. There is a big blue logo on the factory that looked, to me, like crisscrossed scissors or cutters.
Saludos,
Nancy Bell

stan.bc

Oct 16, 2004
Nancy, thanks alot for reply, I guess you were typing it while we were there.

Anyways, we went to the A. Fuente first but it's in a free zone, so there's nothing you can officially buy there, nor there's a tour or any kind of exhibition there.

We've had much better experience at the Leon Jimenez centre (huge fenced area on your right you can't miss if you drive east -- out of town -- on 27 de Febrero) I wasn't very fond of the expos, but the cigar rolling and a little tour given by a fella named Mark (who speaks fluent german and english) were definetely worth the visit. It took us good hour because we were very interested in the process and kept asking questions.

It's not worth going there if you're a bargain hunter, the prices on the cigars in the little shop are higher than those in Santo Domingo tho.

Next up coffee plants :)