Divorce and rights to Dominican husbands estate.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi everyone

It’s been a looong time since I have posted here, but here goes!

I lived with my Dominican husband in the DR for 9 years, we married in 2012 and in 2013 I returned to the UK.

I have previously discussed divorce with him and he was never interested...until recently.

We built a successful business together and he has sent me a generous sum each month since I have returned home. We have three children together.

He has purchased land and built a large quite spectacular home recently and I joked it was our house not his. Quite honestly as it has been built since our seperation I never thought I would have any financial claim on anything he has acquired since, however since my joke he has said he has started divorce proceedings. We get on very well however I am now slightly suspicious of why he suddenly wants a divorce.

I am presuming he is going for a mutual divorce agreement and a seperation agreement has to be drawn up that we both agree to but being in the UK and knowing some shady stuff can go down I am looking for some advice on what my rights are and if I should have legal representation there even if it is to secure the rights of my children to any assets in the future.

Thank you

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Get a good lawyer, not the lawyer with an office above the colmado quoting groupon pricing.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I have previously discussed divorce with him and he was never interested...until recently.

He has purchased land and built a large quite spectacular home recently and I joked it was our house not his.

We get on very well however I am now slightly suspicious of why he suddenly wants a divorce.

The above highlighted BLUE TEXT of your post should give you a clue...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone

It’s been a looong time since I have posted here, but here goes!

I lived with my Dominican husband in the DR for 9 years, we married in 2012 and in 2013 I returned to the UK.

We built a successful business together and he has sent me a generous sum each month since I have returned home. We have three children together.

He has purchased land and built a large quite spectacular home recently and I joked it was our house not his. Quite honestly as it has been built since our seperation I never thought I would have any financial claim on anything he has acquired since, however since my joke he has said he has started divorce proceedings. We get on very well however I am now slightly suspicious of why he suddenly wants a divorce.

I am presuming he is going for a mutual divorce agreement and a seperation agreement has to be drawn up that we both agree to but being in the UK and knowing some shady stuff can go down I am looking for some advice on what my rights are and if I should have legal representation there even if it is to secure the rights of my children to any assets in the future.

Thank you

Please tell me you are not relying on advise from posters here. If you havn't hired a lawyer yet then you are already behind the eight ball.