Divorce questions

Belmont007

Nov 13, 2014
I've been married 4 months, and I don't think this is working out and I may try a little bit longer before I pull anything. I just don't like treatment I'm getting after being married. A complete change.

I'm both American and Domican Citizen and she's Dominican. I got married in the DR.

I didn't do a prenup, and I want to know the basics on what's owed to her. She can keep the car that I bought in the DR before the marriage for all I care, but I want to know if she's owed anything else. I do not have any bank accounts in the DR.

I can't imagine a judge ordering alimony or half of everything I own in the US after only a few months of marriage, but I'm prepared for the worst possible outcome as well.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I've been married 4 months, and I don't think this is working out and I may try a little bit longer before I pull anything. I just don't like treatment I'm getting after being married. A complete change.

I'm both American and Domican Citizen and she's Dominican. I got married in the DR.

I didn't do a prenup, and I want to know the basics on what's owed to her. She can keep the car that I bought in the DR before the marriage for all I care, but I want to know if she's owed anything else. I do not have any bank accounts in the DR.

I can't imagine a judge ordering alimony or half of everything I own in the US after only a few months of marriage, but I'm prepared for the worst possible outcome as well.
Lawyer up is my advice.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
She's entitled to 50% of everything you have purchased since you got married. That's it.

I was married to a woman for 11 months who I totally misjudged (A Christian fanatic). Long story, funny and tragic at the same time.

I told her she could have anything she wanted that we acquired during our marriage - no 50% stuff.

As a result, we used the same lawyer, there were no demands or arguments, and she got anything she wanted as long as it was purchased during the marriage.

Totally painless.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm just going to guess the story he talks about is older lonely man with lots of cash meets reasonably good looking young Chica, falls in love, marries her (despite all the advise from friends and family), then seeks divorce advise from a public forum.

But I'm just guessing

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
There's an old adage my own lawyer once told me: "The law is what the judge says it is". Take Peterj's advice and get a lawyer in the D.R. and don't even give the wife a hint of what's coming. I would be curious to know if a judgement from a D.R. divorce court is enforceable in another country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
People do change after marriage. If the issue is change in itself and not some sort of severe change, then maybe marriage isn't for you.

You can do whatever you want, but I think four months into a marriage is too soon to consider a divorce. I would give it a year.