Divorce

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I was told that Divorce in DR would cost at least up to $600. I am married for 12 years and I'm filing for a divorce and am curious what would be the actual cost if anyone know? I also have a 8 year old daughter and she will be US citizen shortly.

Thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It will all depend on the lawyer you use, how complicated it is, and whether or not it is contested. I think $800 would be closer to bare minimum. Best to consult a lawyer and get a quote.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If you and your spouse are in agreement than yes about $800-$1000.00. Most of that is for the paperwork. If there are other "issues" then of course the price will vary. Consult a lawyer and if possible, speak to your spouse. A mutual consent divorce is so much easier.

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
To be honest , I am a firm believer in the institution of marriage inspite of my own failed attempt at it.
Looking at myself honestly I realize that marriage in and of itself is not the problem but rather the people who decide to jump into it and the unrealistic expectations they bring in thier mental suitcases.
Wiith a divorce rate as high as 80 percent after only the first year there has got to be some attraction to the marital prospect even if its fatal lol..

Eienstien said it well
" " Enter into marriage with eyes wide open and continue with them half shut ".

We blindly enter into a lifetime commitment letting our eyes and emotions direct the sails of our heart but when the honeymoon is over and we realize that marriage is actually hard work and not a. store bought canned emotion that requires self sacrifice and major adjustment our love boat sinks faster than the titanic .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In case anyone missed it, the OP asked about the actual cost of divorce. Just a reminder.

• Haha
Reactions: Lafcadio

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In case anyone missed it, the OP asked about the actual cost of divorce. Just a reminder.
I remember that Lindsay/Matilda did uncomplicated divorces for $800-1000 USD through her website DRSISTERHOOD. Just as a price comparison, of course.

korejdk_again

Mar 26, 2019
I paid U$ 2,000 GO Guzman firm back in 2009 ( or around ) ; I wasn't in DR, it wasn't contested etc etc ; I had one meeting at their office in Sosua, I paid half, then I paid the other half when I picked up the final divorce.

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I spoked with a attorney hour ago and he quoted me $785 and that is the total cost to get this done. I went ahead and made deposit of $250 to get it started. Completion date is end of June 2022 then I'm free bird.

Thanks for the help.

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013
I spoked with a attorney hour ago and he quoted me $785 and that is the total cost to get this done. I went ahead and made deposit of $250 to get it started. Completion date is end of June 2022 then I'm free bird.

Thanks for the help.
Does it matter where you were married? I need a divorce, was married in NYC but my husband is somewhere in DR and not sure where.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does it matter where you were married? I need a divorce, was married in NYC but my husband is somewhere in DR and not sure where.
Wow, Kat.. Still chasing that?

I'd consult with a lawyer here (better in the legal forum). If I'm not mistaken, a three day notice in local newspapers is all that's required when you can't find the person.