Divorce

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I am asking this question for one of my Dominican friends who got married to a Cdn girl in 2003. He finally arrived in Cda about 4 months ago. They had a baby, last December. About 2 months ago, she kicked him out, and he went to stay with some frineds he had met.

My question is, becasue he was married in the Dominican Republic, would it be better to get a divorce in the Dominican Republic? And what would the cost, and time frame be? Would both him and his soon to be ex, have to be there together in order for the divorce to be finalized?

Would he have to get the paperwork done in the Dominican Republic, bring it back to Cda, have her sign it, then go back? Or could he get paperwork done in Cda, have her sign it, and have it processed down there in the Dominican Republic?

Thanks
Lisa

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The easiest thing for them to do, if they are both in agreement, is to get a quickie divorce. See http://www.dr1.com/divorce/

Then only one of the partners needs to come to the DR for the divorce to be finalized.

The site is self-explanatory.

L

LarrySpencer

A word of caution.......the dominican divorce really won't mean squat in another country. In the US, for instance, the divorce must be agreed upon by both parties and signed by both parties. It really sounds like this girl just kicked him out....and there is no mention of how soon she wants to be divorced, if she wants to be divorced, etc. Let's say that your friend goes and gets the divorce in the DR and it is all pretty much in his favor - why wouldn't it be - and comes back thinking he is free an clear. The fact is, he would really be far from free and clear, in fact, he would have opened a whole can of crap that will end up costing him so much more.

In the worst case scenerio, let's say that the girl really wasn't planning on a divorce, just a separation for a little bit while he cleans up his act...it is a dominican man we're talking about, right? So we all know that's not going to happen! Anyway, the girl hears about how he snuck off to the DR, had a divorce signed without her knowledge, that really screwed her and the baby over. So the woman goes out and gets a lawyer who goes to the court and explains the little episode. The judge decides that since he was trying to be sneaky, she has grounds to sue him for spousal support, child support, property, and the family goldfish; and because the judge is so ****ed off, pretty much grants her whatever she wants.

If he does that, he's better off just staying in the DR after the divorce, since there is no child or spousal support agreement between the US and DR - yet.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi there--
No she doesn't want a divorce, I think b/c she is scamming the gov't for welfare. At least that is my two cents, but she'll get hers once the gov't catches up and she isn't allowed to claim it while she is sponsoring her husband, in Cda.

I think he 's going to get the divorce in Cda anyways. He is going to set up an account in the baby's name, b/c right now she says she doesn't want any money either from him for the child, but I told him to set up an account to cover his a** just in case she goes to try to collect back child support, he'll have the money waiting for it.

Thanks for your help.

L

LarrySpencer

"She doesn't want any money either from him for the child"...that's classic.....kind of like when she told him....oh don't worry, I'm on the pill.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
And in the meantime , all the Canadian DR1'ers like me, Trina, Anna ,Wud are paying the piper for her "fun in the sun".

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
MommC said:
And in the meantime , all the Canadian DR1'ers like me, Trina, Anna ,Wud are paying the piper for her "fun in the sun".

Add me to the list! I am soo pi**ed off, first b/c the guy is my friend, who I've known longer, and when I met her she was controlling and demanding, I guess he chose not to see that, maybe b/c he was "getting out of the DR!" he claims he loved her, but now jus wants to move on.

He is thinking about moving back to the DR but hasn't made up his mind, b/c he's homesick and all alone here. He has friends, but it's not the same as family. (ie his wife and baby). Plus he's in TO and his friends are spread across the country. He's been on his own for 4 months now, and I told him he should be proud b/c he's making it on his own, but I can understand where he's coming from and feeling homesick.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MommC said:
"Paying the piper", in what way?

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
more divorce questions

Does the DR offer a regular divorce, not necessarily a "quickie" divorce? ANd how much would one like that cost?

As well he is DOminican, and she is Canadaian? If they get divorced in the DR is it legal in Cda?

The website you gave me Delores, only makes reference to the US< but she is Cdn, and he lives in Cda. He's moving back to the DR for a year, but will be going back to Cda

Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Taxes Rellosk......Taxes!

rellosk said:
"Paying the piper", in what way?

Where do you think the Canadian gov't gets the money to "give" to these freeloaders????

From all us honest folk who work our butts off for over 6 months of every year to pay our taxes before we pocket any of our hard earned $$$$ (from Fraser Institute stats).

A single mother collecting "Mothers' allowance" aka welfare has more benefits and disposable income than a 'gainfully employed' person working 40 hr weeks at minimum wage.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Who's kidding who? He'll move back to the DR when it snows in Santo Domingo. Just like many employees alienating their employer in the DR to collect liquidation, how many sankies alienate their spouse and divorce as soon as the visa is issued?

Last edited:

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
MommC said:
Where do you think the Canadian gov't gets the money to "give" to these freeloaders????

From all us honest folk who work our butts off for over 6 months of every year to pay our taxes before we pocket any of our hard earned $$$$ (from Fraser Institute stats).

A single mother collecting "Mothers' allowance" aka welfare has more benefits and disposable income than a 'gainfully employed' person working 40 hr weeks at minimum wage.

He is more then willing to take care of the child. He has offered to give money, but she said no she didn't want any. And sent him an email saying wait, until you have more money. She's the nut case here. Not him.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Who's kidding who? He'll move back to the DR when it snows in Santo Domingo. Just like many employees alienating their employer in the DR to collect liquidation, how many sankies alienate their spouse and divorce as soon as the visa is issued?

Yes he did work at a hotel, but she was the one persuing him. They got married, and she got pregnant, and I he did actually love her. He was really upset after 3 months when she asked him to leave. He thought just to be seperated while she thought abut things, but no she wanted him OUT. It wasn't him wanting to split up.

Yes, I know some hotel workers do hook up with girls just to get out of the DR, and that might have been part of the reason for him. But he did love her, and loves his child more then anything. He was really upseot when she told him go. And the only reason he is looking to get a divorce is b/c this girl is wacko. And she is repsonsible for him for three years b/c of the sponorship, but if he gets divorced then she can't "control" his life for those years, and threatening him with I'll get you kicked out of Cda etc. He just wants all ties to be severed, except to look after his child, but he is looking more for protecing himself against this crazy girl!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
baileyboy said:
Yes he did work at a hotel, but she was the one persuing him. They got married, and she got pregnant, and I he did actually love her. He was really upset after 3 months when she asked him to leave. He thought just to be seperated while she thought abut things, but no she wanted him OUT. It wasn't him wanting to split up.

Yes, I know some hotel workers do hook up with girls just to get out of the DR, and that might have been part of the reason for him. But he did love her, and loves his child more then anything. He was really upseot when she told him go. And the only reason he is looking to get a divorce is b/c this girl is wacko. And she is repsonsible for him for three years b/c of the sponorship, but if he gets divorced then she can't "control" his life for those years, and threatening him with I'll get you kicked out of Cda etc. He just wants all ties to be severed, except to look after his child, but he is looking more for protecing himself against this crazy girl!
Is he willing to start from square one? She divorces him and he goes back to the DR. Visa cancelled. He owes her nada, she owes him nada. Let me know so we can have a welcome home party for him in the DR. Probably on the next snowy day in SD.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anyway without getting into their relationship which they are the only two people that really know what is going on,

getting a divorce in Canada or the DR isn't cheap and he may not have the money to do it and one of them would have to travel to the DR which costs more money. She may not have any money at this moment since it cost her about $1800 just for the visa application to get him here and now she has a child to feed.

He cannot just go back to the DR for a year and return when he wants until he becomes a Canadian citizen.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell us ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And BTW if she had a baby last December and she had a job before having the baby she is allowed a year off with pay in most if not all provinces of Canada and in that case she wouldn't be getting welfare.

I should add that the amount paid is 60% of your wage while working. It's maternity leave and money is paid by unemployment.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This guy should really have no financial problems in the future. He should publish his book "Sankies for Dummies". He seems to have pulled off the perfect routine. Within two years he:
  1. Met a Canadian woman
  2. Married Canadian woman in the DR
  3. Had Canadian woman sponsor his immigration visa
  4. Inpregnated woman- a better immigration case
  5. Immigrated to Canada
  6. Gets woman to throw him out of house.
  7. Woman so fed up with him that she refuses his offer of child support, amount unknown.
  8. Final Chapter-How to get cut-rate divorce and retain visa. Probably to be paid for by present girlfriend.
I nominate this guy for one of the Best of 2005 awards.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A "quickie" is legal, as long as they follow the rules listed in Dolores' note.

HB :D:D:D

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Anyway without getting into their relationship which they are the only two people that really know what is going on,

getting a divorce in Canada or the DR isn't cheap and he may not have the money to do it and one of them would have to travel to the DR which costs more money. She may not have any money at this moment since it cost her about $1800 just for the visa application to get him here and now she has a child to feed.

He cannot just go back to the DR for a year and return when he wants until he becomes a Canadian citizen.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell us ;)

Hi Anna--Here's a bit of FYI, that I didn't know.....
Actually he can go back to the DR, I called Immigration for him, and now that he has his residency papers, he can travel in and out of Cda. But with in the 5 years his residency papers are legal for, he has to spend atleast 2 years consecutivley in CDA. So the lady at Immigration said he could technically spend three years in the DR, but the final two he has to be in CDA for.

But if BOTH of them were to travel together, even the time out of the country travelling would be considered time spent in the country (part of the 2 years req'd to keep the residency valid),as long as she is with him. while travelling.

Last edited:

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
HOWMAR said:
This guy should really have no financial problems in the future. He should publish his book "Sankies for Dummies". He seems to have pulled off the perfect routine. Within two years he:
  1. Met a Canadian woman
  2. Married Canadian woman in the DR
  3. Had Canadian woman sponsor his immigration visa
  4. Inpregnated woman- a better immigration case
  5. Immigrated to Canada
  6. Gets woman to throw him out of house.
  7. Woman so fed up with him that she refuses his offer of child support, amount unknown.
  8. Final Chapter-How to get cut-rate divorce and retain visa. Probably to be paid for by present girlfriend.
I nominate this guy for one of the Best of 2005 awards.

You'll notice this question is in the LEGAL section. It's not about whether he's a sankie or not. I'm asking a question for a friend on divorce.