divorces in DR up in the last 14 years

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With the advent of Social Media the divorce rate had to rise. Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Divorces equal legal marriages. Where are all the know-it-all posters who say Dominicans never get married legally??? Hmmmmm?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
consider that these are the numbers for 14 years. so even if 50% of the marriages dissolve we are talking about less that 500,000 marriages in 14 years in a country of 10 million people.

Jan 9, 2004
Divorces equal legal marriages. Where are all the know-it-all posters who say Dominicans never get married legally??? Hmmmmm?

Yes, that is true.

But if you extrapolate those numbers against the population over 15 who could conceivably marry.....you arrive at 2 possibilities.

Either the DR has one of the lowest rates of divorce.....or....they live together and just don't marry.

My unscientific findings are that marriage is far more more likely in certain social strata in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would suggest a considerable number of the divorces are between a foreign woman and a Dominican man or vice versa. It can be considerably easier to carry out the divorce here than overseas and in some cases cheaper. This is talking as someone who has a minimum of five to 10 enquiries every month about how to get divorced here.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would suggest a considerable number of the divorces are between a foreign woman and a Dominican man or vice versa.

2014 data:

10qcadf.png

Jan 9, 2004
Good, I never understood why people who are miserable would want to stay together! You only live once! Yay for divorce!!

Perhaps that is why......they don't marry in the DR lol.

I will say one thing, I have never met more people who have more kids with more different people....than in the DR.

If they all married.....now that would be a divorce attorneys dream come true.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Perhaps that is why......they don't marry in the DR lol.

I will say one thing, I have never met more people who have more kids with more different people....than in the DR.

If they all married.....now that would be a divorce attorneys dream come true.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That's true, especially in the lower social strata. You need a spreadsheet to keep the children/mother/father straight where we live in DR. I'm convinced there is no 6 degrees of separation there, maybe 2 or 3.

Apr 7, 2014
Me.
They dont get married for real like a responsible pareja. They get married for appearances to make something look valid. But its just as false as a $13 dollar bill.

I was seeing a woman for a while back in 2011-13. I told her I wasnt feeling marriage. She turned her life to the Lord. In 2014 we were "working it back" slowly. I made reservations for a resorte for us. She told me in Septiembre she couldnt go because she hooked up with an old high school carino and Viola! She had gotten pregnant...and married. I bailed on that BS.
She gave birth March 2015 but her married life lasted 2 months. The dude bailed on her after two months went to his old girlfriend or something.
She is technically still married but they dont live together or talk to each other. But you see, he destroyed my situation because her having his child ruined what we had forever.
Oh but she is still technically...legally...married to him.