DNA: Genographic Sets Sail to the Dominican Republic

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
Education might be the key not age. Just my guess. And "Ba" is not with B de burro.

thats how many type it Ba for va

iv noticed on the web lots of dominicans who write in proper spanish are actually not living or raised in the DR, while the opposite for those who write like **** and they get accused for not being dominican which i think its stupid at this point, since many of us already speak english here and in the states, american pop culture is already so influential here to the point where i know many dominicans here who talk english so good like a miamian (US born Hispanic) you wouldnt know the difference, at least not for me since i dont live there in the US. But i have gone there so many times due to my employer with American Airlines.

I go on the web and many dominicans get accused for not being dominican when they have opposing views on something that the majority of dominicans have and they aytomatically try to find any sort of flaw and ask really personal questions so that they get an excuse to say to that person "oh your not dominicano" thats ****ing stupid, any young latin american at this point is as americanized as a latino americano

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay all, lets get back to Dominican DNA. All the language discussion can be taken to the Spanish forum.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
your honestly the first person to ask me such a question, its always the opposite for me

ppl would always ask me in the web while typing in english, "your not an english speaker are you? or "are you sure you speak english cause you dont type like an english speaker or it isnt good enough"

not to mentioned the great many dominicans, puerto ricans, and cubans who do not know how to type or write well at all in spanish, but they live and were raised in said countries so, i dont understand the question in all honesty
I asked because the mistakes were not typical Dominican mistakes of putting an h where it doesn't belong or b/v mix up, it doesn't matter though, but since you typed Spanish in an English forum I wondered. 

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks Alterego, for the reference. I am left wanting. They collected all those samples and all we get in return is one aggregate number for the whole country. I was thinking they would give us a more detailed breakdown of the sample results.

I went to the website and didn't find much there either. Again, I came across that lofty description. Just a little underwhelmed, I guess.

"Over the course of the next several months, researchers and students from UNIBE will visit most provinces in the country and meet with people from at least 25 different communities. They hope to enroll some 1000 individuals and analyze the DNA samples and demographic histories collected from them."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks Alterego, for the reference. I am left wanting. They collected all those samples and all we get in return is one aggregate number for the whole country. I was thinking they would give us a more detailed breakdown of the sample results.

I went to the website and didn't find much there either. Again, I came across that lofty description. Just a little underwhelmed, I guess.

"Over the course of the next several months, researchers and students from UNIBE will visit most provinces in the country and meet with people from at least 25 different communities. They hope to enroll some 1000 individuals and analyze the DNA samples and demographic histories collected from them."

Well, it's a beginning. At an approximate cost of $100USD, the test is otherwise way out of reach for many Dominicans. I just hope they test a good cross section of the population. 

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
i think itll come out as i said before 55% African, 40% European, 5% Native

someone said previously that they believe the native would actually be lower, but we still have a handful of dominicans that score sagnificantly high such as 15% which totally breaks the old beliefs, but them with the ones lower would give an average of 5% or 4% in that study

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
genetic makeup of Dominicans

Interesting article in Dominican Today on the genetic makeup of the population. 49% black, 39%white, 3% indian and the other 9% is not mentioned, pirates maybe? Done using saliva DNA tests. I am most certainly no expert but the numbers are about what I would have guessed. Toss in a margin for error of a few percent and it sounds pretty spot on. First time scientific population testing done here. Kinda cool to have some evidence instead of speculation. A bit more evidence indicating that racial mixing produces physical attractiveness.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2016/07/06/dominicans-are-49-black-39-white-and-4-indian/

Santo Domingo.- Dominicans’ DNA is 49% African, 39% Europeanand 4% re-Columbians including Tainos, which confirms their complicated geneticancestry and implies that mulattos prevail among the population of the Caribbeannation.

The figures are from a study by the Dominican Academy ofHistory, the National Geographic Society and the University of Pennsylvania,with the collaboration of UNIBE University is part of the Genographic Projectcarried out in 140 countries.

"The investigation took saliva samples from the oralmucosa taken from 1,000 Dominicans in 25 sample points, both rural and urban,and in each 40 volunteers agreed to their DNA samples being taken," says theDominican Academy of History in a statemen.

It said that the only previous study on the country’s genetic diversity was conducted by José de Jesus Alvarez Perello, with blood samplesfrom 520 military in 1950.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well its nice to see that some are Educated at Columbia.. a Very good University ...

townsend

Dec 22, 2016
but yet Dominicans on the whole don't want to admit that they are African. Christopher Columbus comes down her and Rapes and murders their ancestors and they erect a statue to him and praise Spain..Sheeeesh talk about culture brainwashing ........

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
They praise Spain because Spain came to DR's aid when France was aligning with Haiti. Remember, memories are very, very short here.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
but yet Dominicans on the whole don't want to admit that they are African. Christopher Columbus comes down her and Rapes and murders their ancestors and they erect a statue to him and praise Spain..Sheeeesh talk about culture brainwashing ........

Dominicans aren't African, they are Dominicans which in some cases is predominately African ancestry and it others predominately European but as the study proves most are mulattoes. If Christopher Columbus rapes their ancestors then they would be Aboriginal Americans. Whom is culturally brainwashed would not be Dominicans.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans aren't African, they are Dominicans which in some cases is predominately African ancestry and it others predominately European but as the study proves most are mulattoes. If Christopher Columbus rapes their ancestors then they would be Aboriginal Americans. Whom is culturally brainwashed would not be Dominicans.

Aboriginal Americans? how? Columbus was Italian.