Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure (Instructions)

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
You got the insurance certificate online? How did you get that? Thanks.
As of December 2020 (or maybe earlier) the only insurance place that DGM works with is Dominicana de Seguros. You can go online and upload your documents. It's kind of problematic since my account was supposed to be confirmed or something but it never was. My documents were all uploaded and a copy of the payment (deposit into their account) and that was that... on their website they give you a code so I just took screenshots from the laptop (just incase)... after that I called them and told them I paid and ask whats going on...they sent the policy to my email as a pdf. I sent it straight to the DGM platform. I still have to go pick up the paper copy.

Anyway on the dominicana de seguros website IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to find where they have the Extranjero's Insurance.. its under Oficina virtual--->DOMIGREX

When you enter Domigrex you go straight to SOLICITUDES---> GARANTIA MIGRATORIA. Your natural instinct would be to click on "Start Session" but then it asks for you username and password which you do not have. I truthfully I dont remember getting one...So I recommend that you fill out your info and upload your documents all at once. Get the "Code" and call them to confirm they have everything...

Like is said i got mine in 24 hours.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As of December 2020 (or maybe earlier) the only insurance place that DGM works with is Dominicana de Seguros. You can go online and upload your documents. It's kind of problematic since my account was supposed to be confirmed or something but it never was. My documents were all uploaded and a copy of the payment (deposit into their account) and that was that... on their website they give you a code so I just took screenshots from the laptop (just incase)... after that I called them and told them I paid and ask whats going on...they sent the policy to my email as a pdf. I sent it straight to the DGM platform. I still have to go pick up the paper copy.

Anyway on the dominicana de seguros website IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to find where they have the Extranjero's Insurance.. its under Oficina virtual--->DOMIGREX

When you enter Domigrex you go straight to SOLICITUDES---> GARANTIA MIGRATORIA. Your natural instinct would be to click on "Start Session" but then it asks for you username and password which you do not have. I truthfully I dont remember getting one...So I recommend that you fill out your info and upload your documents all at once. Get the "Code" and call them to confirm they have everything...

Wow - sounds complicated, but thanks again!

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018

Good info, thanks for sharing! What are your options as far as where to get the paper copy? I don't think they have an office in Puerto Plata.

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
Good info, thanks for sharing! What are your options as far as where to get the paper copy? I don't think they have an office in Puerto Plata.
I have to go to their office and get it. I do not know how they will send it to you to puerta plata (call them to see what they can do). Maybe they have an office in puerta plata? check on their website... I still have to get mine but i figure with the digital copy they sent me via email, I will be ok.

Reactions: JLSawmam

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
Wow - sounds complicated, but thanks again!
Actually, its just the website of the dominicana de seguros place that really sucks. They have tons of products for insurance with different names and you would never know under which fancy name/tab is the "seguro migratoria". I called and they guy mentioned Domigrex which would have been the last place too look.

The DGM site is easier and straight forward... Just remember to make a user account and you have to choose an office (ex. Malecon center, DGM main building, etc) before you can start filling out and uploading papers.

Reactions: Billp16

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Me too, I heard 5 years of this crap. Trying to avoid all these extranjero insurance payments every year etc
DGM has gone through quite a few insurance companies over the last 4 years. It's really hard to imagine any of the companies opting out. This repatriation insurance is a huge cash cow. How many legal residents ever get deported? I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming number of foreigners that get deported are those that entered on a tourist visa and never got residency and the insurance.

A lot of shady characters here that would never be able to get residency, so DGM wants their cut of our premiums to pay to deport the illegals. The cut was too high for previous insurance companies. That's my guess anyway.

In the past, all we had to show was "proof of solvency". Easy to do. Also, a "guarantor" could sign for you. I used my lawyer.

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
DGM has gone through quite a few insurance companies over the last 4 years. It's really hard to imagine any of the companies opting out. This repatriation insurance is a huge cash cow. How many legal residents ever get deported? I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming number of foreigners that get deported are those that entered on a tourist visa and never got residency and the insurance.

A lot of shady characters here that would never be able to get residency, so DGM wants their cut of our premiums to pay to deport the illegals. The cut was too high for previous insurance companies. That's my guess anyway.

In the past, all we had to show was "proof of solvency". Easy to do. Also, a "guarantor" could sign for you. I used my lawyer.
I can only assume that if you are getting the extranjeros insurance its for your residency... The first time I renewed mine the options were dominicana de seguros and Another (i dont remember Palic maybe). In october i think, Palic, announced they were out and returning money to those who recently purchased a policy. I assumed it was because of the change of governemnt or something.

Maybe now there are other options..but in december only dominicana.

And it is a cash cow. You have the policy because you are legal.. (you cant get it unless you are legal here). Unless you die or do something very wrong to get deported its just close to 7000pesos you are paying for the next five years. I can imagine all the hands that are in that pot.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
I can only assume that if you are getting the extranjeros insurance its for your residency... The first time I renewed mine the options were dominicana de seguros and Another (i dont remember Palic maybe). In october i think, Palic, announced they were out and returning money to those who recently purchased a policy. I assumed it was because of the change of governemnt or something.

Maybe now there are other options..but in december only dominicana.

And it is a cash cow. You have the policy because you are legal.. (you cant get it unless you are legal here). Unless you die or do something very wrong to get deported its just close to 7000pesos you are paying for the next five years. I can imagine all the hands that are in that pot.
When I first got my temp residency there were three companies. Then it went down to two. Now that we have only one, maybe that with all the business, the company can give DGM the cut they want to pay to deport foreigners that don't have insurance(?).

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
When I first got my temp residency there were three companies. Then it went down to two. Now that we have only one, maybe that with all the business, the company can give DGM the cut they want to pay to deport foreigners that don't have insurance(?).
Sounds right..but who knows.. as someone said in another thread "its the Wild West down here"!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So if i am married to a dominican, that does not mean i can automatically get permanent residency? and what would be the advantage of citizenship vs permanent residency?
Besides being able to vote, almost every legal thing you do in the DR is easier if you are a citizen, plus you don't have to go through the expense and frustration of renewing residency. You need residency whether you are married to a Dominican or not to be legal in the country, and no you don't automatically get permanent residency if you are married to a a Dominican.