Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

Jan 17, 2009
To those who are posting about the medical, were you doing a renewal of temporary residency? I posted the original instructions September 2013, right after I renewed my temporary residency.

Unlike permanent residency renewal, temporary residency renewal does NOT require a medical (unless things changed). Please clarify so as not to confuse people who are renewing "temporary" not "permanent--which is what this post was about.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Expat... I'm waiting on info from my attorney, but he told me that things became more complicated this year for renewing temporary residency

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, please do let us know for sure. I was ready to head to SD this month to renew my temporary residency with these great instructions, but now I am worried about the medical exams slowing things down and meaning two visits to SD. If anyone knows for certain whether this is required for temporary res renewal, please let us know as soon as you can.

Also, Expat, in the instructions for the criminal record check, the link didn't work. Are there locations I can get that done along the north coast (closest to Cabrera?) or is that done in SD as well? That is the only other thing I am worried about making sure I have beforehand, but the rest sounds very straight forward and do-able! Thanks again for sharing.

To those who are posting about the medical, were you doing a renewal of temporary residency? I posted the original instructions September 2013, right after I renewed my temporary residency.

Unlike permanent residency renewal, temporary residency renewal does NOT require a medical (unless things changed). Please clarify so as not to confuse people who are renewing "temporary" not "permanent--which is what this post was about.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine is not temporary but I think all the new rules are the same.

My first wasa 2008.... renew every 2 yrs
New rules this year, yes Travel hippo, two trips...

one for the medicals, etc, second for the issuance

much of a pain.....
no way around it, they say..... Guzman doing it for us

Jan 17, 2009
Well, when I renewed my temporary, my husband renewed his permanent residency. His renewal required a medical, mine did not. You can pay a lawyer to renew your permanent residency, but honestly, my husband did his while I was doing mine and it was a breeze. The only difference was doing the medical and coming back two weeks later. Indeed, two trips for him. Total cost of his ** permanent ** residency renewal: USD$208 -- including medical and VIP.

I apologize that I never got to post instructions for permanent residency renewal at the time (although I did a draft) and I won't do it now if the instructions and procedures changed. Anyone who reads Spanish and wants to check the document immigration gave us at the time can check it out here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy66s11mm2jc98t/DR Permanent Residency Renewal list.pdf

If someone confirms the procedure remains the same as in August 2013, I'll be glad to post the instructions in English.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Got my second temporary last week,- no physical for me! My friend applied for renewal of permanent,- he had to do a physical and has to go back in 2 weeks to complete the process. I speak no Spanish, my friend speaks enough to get by. We did fine on our own without a lawyer or helper. Freakish zoo like atmosphere there but somehow it all gets done. My friend fantasied about hiring an O&M company to smooth out the process and paint lines on the floor to show you where to go-----

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Oh perfect. Thank you for sharing. So glad to hear this. My husband and I will go there in a couple of weeks to do the temporary renewal without a lawyer as well. At least it is just a one day visit to that place now that we know the medical won't be needed. Wish us luck! ;)

Got my second temporary last week,- no physical for me! My friend applied for renewal of permanent,- he had to do a physical and has to go back in 2 weeks to complete the process. I speak no Spanish, my friend speaks enough to get by. We did fine on our own without a lawyer or helper. Freakish zoo like atmosphere there but somehow it all gets done. My friend fantasied about hiring an O&M company to smooth out the process and paint lines on the floor to show you where to go-----

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Is the place you go to renew residency / cedula the main immigration on the malecon in SDO or do you go to the other place near the monuments where you walk up 2 flights of stairs and they give you the new cards there.

I went to 2 places but need to know where to go for just the renewal of temporary residency

Jan 17, 2009
Mike,

The place to renew your residency is the one on the Malecon. Your cedula is renewed later, after you get your new residency card. That's the place you go up one or two flights of stairs. It's called 'Cedula Extranjeria' on Av. Luperon and 27 de Febrero.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine is not temporary but I think all the new rules are the same.

My first wasa 2008.... renew every 2 yrs
New rules this year, yes Travel hippo, two trips...

one for the medicals, etc, second for the issuance

much of a pain.....
no way around it, they say..... Guzman doing it for us

OK we went y'day..... full lineup at Immigration for a little over an hour..... then the photo out back at Immigration then off to the X-Ray and blood tests etc.
The urine test is like the Olympic tests.... must be 'an observed sample'... she watches you

Yes, she had one glove on.... but used it for the full time we were there... both our urine samples and blood extractions.
She was wearing it when as we walked in... how old ?? Dunno.

I am told these will be for 4 yrs and eventually, they will line up the cedula and residency to coincide (for expiration)
That might be a dream

I would not have wanted to do it alone and my Spanish passable, just passable.

I was also told that the new system is faster than the advertised 10 business days.... that , too, will be seen

FWIW, thats the story

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
OK we went y'day..... full lineup at Immigration for a little over an hour..... then the photo out back at Immigration then off to the X-Ray and blood tests etc.
The urine test is like the Olympic tests.... must be 'an observed sample'... she watches you

Yes, she had one glove on.... but used it for the full time we were there... both our urine samples and blood extractions.
She was wearing it when as we walked in... how old ?? Dunno.

I am told these will be for 4 yrs and eventually, they will line up the cedula and residency to coincide (for expiration)
That might be a dream

I would not have wanted to do it alone and my Spanish passable, just passable.

I was also told that the new system is faster than the advertised 10 business days.... that , too, will be seen

FWIW, thats the story

What are the exact requirements for renewal of the permanent residency at this moment? Mine is coming up soon, too.
I couldn't find any info for renewing the permanent residency on the official immigration website, only the procedure for the definite residency.

Feb 7, 2007
Can anybody confirm if you can do renewal of Temporary R in one day (no medical) or do you need two trips (and medical)? My TR is coming up for renewal early May but I heard you can renew it 45 days before expiration so I will try to do it mid-April.

Any info? Thx....

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Must be done in 2 days. Exams first day, back around 10 days later to deposit. You can do it in Veron now if you prefer.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2009
NO medical is required for annual renewal of temporary residency! Please read post by pularvik on 3/3/14 confirming there is NO medical and everything can be done in one day.

I open this thread last year to post instructions for renewal of *** temporary residency ***. I see a lot of posts now of people renewing * permanent * residency. The procedure is different, and at this point, I think the instructions I gave in my first post are lost, and people are getting confused.

I wish the moderators could move renewal of permanent residency to a different thread so that no conflicting instructions are provided.

Can anybody confirm if you can do renewal of Temporary R in one day (no medical) or do you need two trips (and medical)? My TR is coming up for renewal early May but I heard you can renew it 45 days before expiration so I will try to do it mid-April.

Any info? Thx....

Jan 17, 2009
Just a reminder, if you go renew early, you'll be paying for an additional 12 month starting the day you renew and not your current expiration date. I asked about this before going to renew mine as l had to do it a month ahead of time.

Any info? Thx....

Feb 7, 2007
OK, so I should leave it for the end of April then ... that way I would be losing maybe a week or two max off the old validity :)

P.S. What happens if you want to renew it AFTER the expiry (e.g. a week after expiry) ?

Jan 17, 2009
If you renew after is expired, you pay a small fine. $300 pesos per month late. It's in the official Spanish instructions that I put in my dropbox. (link in my original post)