Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

1greasy

Jun 21, 2012
Does anybody know about this new requirement for the renewal of temporary residency:
Poliza de Seguro. (P?liza de Garant?a contratada con la compa??a de seguros debidamente autorizada por la D.G.M.)
Does it mean that we now need some form of insurance in order to renew the temporary residency card?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Does anybody know about this new requirement for the renewal of temporary residency:
Poliza de Seguro. (P?liza de Garant?a contratada con la compa??a de seguros debidamente autorizada por la D.G.M.)
Does it mean that we now need some form of insurance in order to renew the temporary residency card?

All the information you need is in the thread I have linked below. Licelotte M is an attorney with Guzm?n Ariza, so this information is correct and up to date.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...ire-an-insurance-policy-starting-May-9th-2016

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks. Post 52 does not answer the question regarding insurance for temporary to permanent. It only addresses renewals of temporary and permanent. Sorry. I asked on that thread this question more than once, but got no reply as far as I can see.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need a lawyer. Either I'm able to do it on my own, or I would thrash my residency. I would have had a permanent residency now had it not been for a lawyer screw up five years ago.

Direcci?n General de Migraci?n
Contactos
Avenida 30 de Mayo, Esquina H?roes De Luperon, Santo Domingo Rep?blica Dominicana.
T: 809.508.2555
info@migracion.gob.do

Please read post #52 of the Legal thread on Insurance Policy requirement and the last paragraph which makes the requirement for you very clear.

I know you will not want to hear this, but as you have posted before, you will be one of the first applying for permanent residency from temporary residency after the rule changes at the end of 2011 (and now the insurance issue). And having a lawyer may prove advantageous in this instance to avoid protracted document and procedure issues.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks. Post 52 does not answer the question regarding insurance for temporary to permanent. It only addresses renewals of temporary and permanent. Sorry. I asked on that thread this question more than once, but got no reply as far as I can see.

LiselotteM wrote in post #52 on insurance policy in Legal....

Please be aware that the insurance policy will also be required for those temporary residents who will be applying for permanent residency after completing the initial 5 years of temporary residency

Is that not what you are about to do?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need a lawyer. Either I'm able to do it on my own, or I would thrash my residency. I would have had a permanent residency now had it not been for a lawyer screw up five years ago.

Clearly, the wrong lawyer.... many here couldn't do without the lawyer.

I wouldn't venture into this area 'unguided'....even a paralegal to help.

As far as the insurance, if you are so determined to go it alone, why not call or visit Migracion to pose the question.
It will be good training & give you an insight in to the process before you start your application.

Post 225 above does seem to answer the question but again, I would like to hear it from Mr Ed (the horse's mouth) before going forward

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Updated option for criminal records / Antecedentes Judiciales...

Go to BanReservas and pay 500 pesos for the Certificacion de Antecedentes Judiciales as usual.

However, afterward, you can now go to https://servicios.mp.gob.do/servicios_en_linea/inicio/procesar online, enter your BanReservas receipt #, and print as many copies as you would like. The website gives the option to email yourself a copy or save it as a pdf.

Been there, done that, it works :)

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, I obviously missed her last paragraph. Interestingly, the Immigration website instructions don't require it but then again those instructions have obvious mistakes: http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-permanente/

I'll be going to Sto. Dgo. next week to start the process.

LiselotteM wrote in post #52 on insurance policy in Legal....

Please be aware that the insurance policy will also be required for those temporary residents who will be applying for permanent residency after completing the initial 5 years of temporary residency

Is that not what you are about to do?

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
So they told me all documents are completed and to keep checking back to see when the ceremonia will be so I can get my permanent cedula. I explained to them my temp cedula expires in March and my plans are to travel to USA for the summer. They told me that would be ok but I would need a letter from Minister of interior to avoid paying exit fees. I applied for that and it took 3 weeks but no cost. I get to airport with letter in hand and of course they say that will not do. I was sent to the immigration office and explained the situation to the lady there. She pass it on to another lady who said I will have to pay 2500rd because my cedula expired. Of course I said no way. She then took my passport and the letter and went into a back office. When she came back her explanation was that I needed a letter from immigration not interior and to there and get one. I told her that was crazy because my flight is in 2 hours. So i just stayed at the immigration office and after about 10 minutes of saying no pago no pago they got tired of me and let me go without paying. I am sure it will be as screwed up when I return in September. may be I will just get the 10 dollar tourist card to avoid the hassle.
much to my surprise upon returning they never questioned about my cedula being expired and just let me go through with no hassle. That could be because I was returning with my wife,but who knows. Hopefully I will have my permanent cedula by May when I return to states.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Any updates on insurance requirement?

Did you end up going? Any additional info on the new insurance that is required? We were due to renew our temp res. in June but we are late (we were late last year.. not a big deal), so we are going this month. I am mainly worried it is going to end up taking more than one day trip to Santo Domingo to do the insurance, then the usual process?

Thanks, I obviously missed her last paragraph. Interestingly, the Immigration website instructions don't require it but then again those instructions have obvious mistakes: http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-permanente/

I'll be going to Sto. Dgo. next week to start the process.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Did you end up going? Any additional info on the new insurance that is required? We were due to renew our temp res. in June but we are late (we were late last year.. not a big deal), so we are going this month. I am mainly worried it is going to end up taking more than one day trip to Santo Domingo to do the insurance, then the usual process?

You initiate the renewal online now.....

https://personal.migracion.gob.do/Application

DR1 member visitante just posted today about his application to replace a lost residency permit on line in another thread in North Coast forum.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, ok I understand the insurance is now required from general de seguros.
Is it still only one office in SD to get it?
How much time does it take? Is it possible to go and get the f... insurance and then go to migracion office on the same day?
:)

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
Is it possible to find a sample of the letter to the Mayor General Rub?n Dar?o Paulino Sem? Links provided in this topic lead to a non-existing files.

Jan 17, 2009
Is it possible to find a sample of the letter to the Mayor General Rub?n Dar?o Paulino Sem? Links provided in this topic lead to a non-existing files.

I don't even know if that letter is still required. *Things changed a lot since my last update. *Here's a link to my dropbox but you will have to open the file with MS Word online. *Dropbox no longer allows a preview of docx documents: *https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3x7nmy7nk8j370/Residencia renewal letter .docx?dl=0

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

There is a new head of Migracion...

Director General de Migraci?n, Teniente General (r) (ERD) M?ximo William Mu?oz Delgado

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
Expat-in-Cabarete

Thank you!

I don't see this letter on the list when apply on-line, just wanted to have it with me in case it is still needed.

ju10prd Thank you!

Jan 17, 2009
This is a very old thread, Wayne.

Procedures have changed completely.  May I suggest you open a new thread with your question?

Moderators should cose this thread.

allesfantastisch

Jul 14, 2018
Pfff what a list... Thank you so much for the information but....Why would you even concider to do all of this?

Man, I am here to relax.