Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Is that requirement specifically stated on the DGM site?
No, from my experience of 2 renewals. Havn't started looking at DGM site, as wanted to know if there is already a how-to, otherwise will read this entire thread and go from there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, from my experience of 2 renewals. Havn't started looking at DGM site, as wanted to know if there is already a how-to, otherwise will read this entire thread and go from there.
All I can tell you is that I have seen many posts on one of the residency threads here where they have renewed the permanent residency. It can't be too hard. The DGM site gives you a list of items that you have to upload online.

Reactions: nekokatt

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Excuse me / Perdon, is there a thread for DOING PERMANENT RESIDENCY RENEWAL YOURSELF ?

searched back to 2019, but its only about temporary, changing to permanent, or pensions

otherwise will read this whole thread, its probably similar process, maybe less requirements
(my permanent status specifically need photo and 6 months of bank statements showing $2,000/mo)

I'd like to try to do it myself when it comes up again in 2 years, and save the $1,500 attorney fee. no risk, as it doesn't expire (not living full time in DR), just pay late penalty.

gracias
Renewal of Permanent or temporary residence is straightforward (easy), Just go on the web site (DGM) about 3 months before issue date and you will get all the info needed. If not change all local documents needed plus passport. (local doc. like police paper and local bank records)

Reactions: nekokatt

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Renewal of Permanent or temporary residence is straightforward (easy), Just go on the web site (DGM) about 3 months before issue date and you will get all the info needed. If not change all local documents needed plus passport. (local doc. like police paper and local bank records)
Easy until you try and do it................

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It's not easy. Still if I decide to renew I will do it myself. Last time an employee of mine did most of it. I don’t have that anymore. Before that I did it myself and before that again with the temp and first permanent used a law firm. It’s called a permanent residency which it is, because I think the cedula nr is there forever in their system, but one has to renew to sort of checkin with them with current documentation.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
It’s called a permanent residency which it is, because I think the cedula nr is there forever in their system, but one has to renew to sort of checkin with them with current documentation.
Okay? Don't think the cedula nr has anything to do with if it's permanent or temporary. I never got the permanent residency, only temporary and then citizenship. And I still have the same cedula number as I've had for the past 9 years.

Anyways. I've not read through all of this topic, but I can say from personal experience. The reason why I choose to use a recommended lawyer since I first started with the residency was because things here change, sometimes overnight. And although, they might say bring 4x of this document, when you get to the window they suddenly need 5x of said document. So to avoid having to deal with, first of all, knowing when something has been changed but also if there's a requirement that they "forgot" to mention, I didn't have to deal with that back and forth.
But that being said, I've had a bunch of friends who've done it themselves and according to them, it's been totally fine. So I guess it all depends on who you are and what you are comfortable dealing with down here. And from what I've understood, some things have become easier since this new government came to power. One thing is from what I understand, they haven't changed migration minister like 5 times in one year, which then changed a bunch of things.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Okay? Don't think the cedula nr has anything to do with if it's permanent or temporary. I never got the permanent residency, only temporary and then citizenship. And I still have the same cedula number as I've had for the past 9 years.

Anyways. I've not read through all of this topic, but I can say from personal experience. The reason why I choose to use a recommended lawyer since I first started with the residency was because things here change, sometimes overnight. And although, they might say bring 4x of this document, when you get to the window they suddenly need 5x of said document. So to avoid having to deal with, first of all, knowing when something has been changed but also if there's a requirement that they "forgot" to mention, I didn't have to deal with that back and forth.
But that being said, I've had a bunch of friends who've done it themselves and according to them, it's been totally fine. So I guess it all depends on who you are and what you are comfortable dealing with down here. And from what I've understood, some things have become easier since this new government came to power. One thing is from what I understand, they haven't changed migration minister like 5 times in one year, which then changed a bunch of things.
Isn’t the temp only the first year or first two years ? I didn’t know you could jump from temporary to citizenship.

If I renew I will do it myself this time. I did 9 years ago and last time I got help around submitting documents online and really only went for the medical and to wait in line at the end. It’s just time consuming I think.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Isn’t the temp only the first year or first two years ? I didn’t know you could jump from temporary to citizenship.

If I renew I will do it myself this time. I did 9 years ago and last time I got help around submitting documents online and really only went for the medical and to wait in line at the end. It’s just time consuming I think.
Nope, if it hasn't changed in the past 3 years (which I guess it might), the first 5 years of your residency you can only get temp residency (and renew it every year), after that you can apply for a permanent residency. At least that was how it was for me, but I guess it also depends on what kind of residency you get, if it's for investment, retirement, etc it might be different.
And yes you can go from temp to citizenship, it also depends on how you get the citizenship. Mine was because I'm married to a Dominican, so then when I applied for the citizenship the initial requirement was, at least 6 months of residency and current valid residency.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I renewed temporary 4 times and renewed permanent once by myself. Its the first time, first temporary or first permanent that I used a lawyer.
I think I only had temp one time. It’s how I remember it. This was 2006-7.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I think I only had temp one time. It’s how I remember it. This was 2006-7.
They changed in 2012 after the election when Danilo first came to power, just the year I came. I think before that you only needed temp first year and then could switch to the permanent and only renew it every 10 years, or at least that was what I was told then by some who had the perm residency at that time.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
You can get it online. I did it a couple of weeks ago.
I tried online but it keeps telling me it doesn't recognize the CIS number.....I am putting in the number from top right hand corner of my slip from bank. So what am I doing wrong?