Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I tried online but it keeps telling me it doesn't recognize the CIS number.....I am putting in the number from top right hand corner of my slip from bank. So what am I doing wrong?
I'm not sure, but I think you get the CIS number when you pay online. If you paid at a bank, maybe you have to get the Certificate from the court, as before.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I tried online but it keeps telling me it doesn't recognize the CIS number.....I am putting in the number from top right hand corner of my slip from bank. So what am I doing wrong?
I think you're using the wrong number. Check and make sure it has the same number of digits as in the example.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Make you you have your login and the bank receipt with the CIS number both with your cedula or both with your passport. If your login is with the cedula, but you got the receipt from the bank with your passport it will give you this error. If that's the case the easiest 'fix' is go again to the bank and pay again the 600 Pesos for the receipt by showing them your cedula (if your login is with cedula) or with passport (if your login is with passport). Changing your account login from cedula to passport (or vis-a-versa) is probably much more complicated.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Excuse me / Perdon, is there a thread for DOING PERMANENT RESIDENCY RENEWAL YOURSELF ?

searched back to 2019, but its only about temporary, changing to permanent, or pensions

otherwise will read this whole thread, its probably similar process, maybe less requirements
(my permanent status specifically need photo and 6 months of bank statements showing $2,000/mo)

I'd like to try to do it myself when it comes up again in 2 years, and save the $1,500 attorney fee. no risk, as it doesn't expire (not living full time in DR), just pay late penalty.

gracias
Yes there is. It's called - "Do-it-Yourself Permanent Residency Renewal Procedure" But the process is pretty similar.
I will be renewing mine in the fall. I may go for Residencia Definitive (RD-1) this time.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Yes there is. It's called - "Do-it-Yourself Permanent Residency Renewal Procedure" But the process is pretty similar.
I will be renewing mine in the fall. I may go for Residencia Definitive (RD-1) this time.
Please let us know the details to change.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't think this has been mentioned here before. A friend of mine just renewed his Temporary Residency and after looking high and low for the company who issues the insurance, discovered that it is all now done at BanReservas. Just go to the bank and ask for it, taking your Residency card, cedula and passport, of course. Sorry, I can't remember how much he said it costs.

It seems that the govt. decided it wanted to take the profit of this highly overpriced scheme, for which I can't imagine they ever have to pay out!

Reactions: cavok

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've been using this portal to DIY my residency renewal, but because I qualify for the 10 year definitive one, I have been successful with my application.
But I may have made a mistake when I selected the Santo Domingo office from the drop down list. I may have been mistaken that 10 year renewals can only be processed by the central office, but I'm not sure. I would have preferred the POP office.
I have submitted all the documents online and paid the 20,000 pesos fee. The system then gave me an appointment to deposit my current residency card and take my biometrics at the SEDE central office. I thought I could have done this at the POP office.
So it looks like it will mean two trips to SD for me. I'm guessing that once the biometrics and card have been submitted it will give me an appointment for the medical.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
Just a heads up.....went for my final temporary residency yesterday. My appointment was for 11:30. Took the bus down, arrived at 10 am. And they would not let me in until 11:10. Ran into another Canadian whose appointment was for 2 pm and they also refused to let her in (she arrived at 10:30). However she tried again after 12 and they allowed her to go in. So they are trying to follow the appointment times.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just a heads up.....went for my final temporary residency yesterday. My appointment was for 11:30. Took the bus down, arrived at 10 am. And they would not let me in until 11:10. Ran into another Canadian whose appointment was for 2 pm and they also refused to let her in (she arrived at 10:30). However she tried again after 12 and they allowed her to go in. So they are trying to follow the appointment times.
Are you required to have proof of vaccination to enter?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No.....and only a few people wore masks.
How long were you in DGM total? Anything new at JCE? I heard one rumor that you had to make appointments there now. Just curious because I have to renew soon and I don't want any unpleasant surprises after driving down there from Cabarete.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
How long were you in DGM total? Anything new at JCE? I heard one rumor that you had to make appointments there now. Just curious because I have to renew soon and I don't want any unpleasant surprises after driving down there from Cabarete.
I did the renewal online and was granted an appointment with date and time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I did the renewal online and was granted an appointment with date and time.
Yes, it's been that way for a few years now. I'm on renewal #5. Interesting to hear that this year they weren't letting people in prior to renewal time. I was wondering how long you were inside DSGM getting your residency card and if anything has changed at JCE?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, it's been that way for a few years now. I'm on renewal #5. Interesting to hear that this year they weren't letting people in prior to renewal time. I was wondering how long you were inside DSGM getting your residency card and if anything has changed at JCE?
I renewed mine a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed at the JCE except they have moved the offices around. You don't need an appointment.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Did mine yesterday. I thought I my appointment was to deposit my documents and have my biometrics and photo taken with the idea that would get an appointment for my medical at a later date.

I changed my status from temporary to permanent (definitivo) as I met the requirements. The immigration website listed all the documents and processes, which did include a medical. I was not required to have the repatriation insurance. For proof of solvency, I submitted a "Declaration Jurada" prepared by my lawyer concerning my property ownership. When I went to SD yesterday they gave me my new 10 year residency card without having had a medical, repatriation insurance or a bank reference.

Then I went to the cedula office for a new 10 year cedula.

My appointment was 10:30 and I was done by 14:30, so four hours from when I entered the immigration centre to finishing off the cedula process, using Uber to get me around SD. I arrived for my appointment an hour early as instructed by the automated phone call I received the day before my appointment . They wouldn't allow me into the centre until my allotted time.

Permanent residency costs 20,000 pesos which you pay online through their portal, or with card/cash when you go. The 10 yr cedula costs 12,000 pesos which you can pay with a card or cash.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Did mine yesterday. I thought I my appointment was to deposit my documents and have my biometrics and photo taken with the idea that would get an appointment for my medical at a later date.

I changed my status from temporary to permanent (definitivo) as I met the requirements. The immigration website listed all the documents and processes, which did include a medical. I was not required to have the repatriation insurance. For proof of solvency, I submitted a "Declaration Jurada" prepared by my lawyer concerning my property ownership. When I went to SD yesterday they gave me my new 10 year residency card without having had a medical, repatriation insurance or a bank reference.

Then I went to the cedula office for a new 10 year cedula.

My appointment was 10:30 and I was done by 14:30, so four hours from when I entered the immigration centre to finishing off the cedula process, using Uber to get me around SD. I arrived for my appointment an hour early as instructed by the automated phone call I received the day before my appointment . They wouldn't allow me into the centre until my allotted time.

Permanent residency costs 20,000 pesos which you pay online through their portal, or with card/cash when you go. The 10 yr cedula costs 12,000 pesos which you can pay with a card or cash.
Very interesting. How long were you a temporary resident? It sounds like the rules have changed. I thought you had to be a permanent resident before you could apply for "definitivo"(?).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And how come you got a ten year Residency straight from being Temporary? I got a one year "Permanent" after the five years of Temporary and then this year a four year "Permanent".