Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Also somewhat surprising and makes no sense is that a medical is required for permanent residency, but not for "definitiva"!!!

If I can get definitiva with 10 years of temporary residency - I'm going to skip getting permanent residency! Just a waste of time and money.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Many residents are temporary for 5 years, after which you can apply for permanent residency - which is good for 4 years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But definitivo is only possible after 10 yrs

But permanent residency is not truly permanent
If it needs renewing, it’s not permanent

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sorry, my bad! I changed my status from permanent to definitive. IE four years to ten years. I get confused about their meanings. How can permanent be valid for four years and definitive for ten?

Anyway, I've been here since 2006 and always had my residency in place.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sorry, my bad! I changed my status from permanent to definitive. IE four years to ten years. I get confused about their meanings. How can permanent be valid for four years and definitive for ten?

Anyway, I've been here since 2006 and always had my residency in place.
The worst thing about permanent residency, if I understand correctly, is that, at least after the first time you get it, you have to go back just one year later and renew it(?).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The worst thing about permanent residency, if I understand correctly, is that, at least after the first time you get it, you have to go back just one year later and renew it(?).
That's right. Then the following year it is for four years. Whoever came up with the word "Permanent" to describe this stage of Residency was having a joke, I think!

Reactions: cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looking at the legal costs posted here and considering the hoops to jump thru.....

The citizenship process should be an easy decision...... both financially and otherwise
I had considered the Definitiva before citizenship..... and chose the latter

Reactions: windeguy

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I'm trying to file my temporary residency renewal myself this year instead of using a lawyer. Would anyone be able to provide a draft of the letter they supplied to DGM (of course taking out personal info)? I've seen the post indicating what information is required in this letter, however my Spanish is limited, so it would be easier if I could use a draft and just fill in the appropriate information. Also, how do you calculate what number the renewal is - is the just referring to the renewals or should this include your first year submission as well. Example, if this is my 3rd renewal would I list 3 or 4. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just want to make sure what I submit is the correct info. Thanks for your help!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm trying to file my temporary residency renewal myself this year instead of using a lawyer. Would anyone be able to provide a draft of the letter they supplied to DGM (of course taking out personal info)? I've seen the post indicating what information is required in this letter, however my Spanish is limited, so it would be easier if I could use a draft and just fill in the appropriate information. Also, how do you calculate what number the renewal is - is the just referring to the renewals or should this include your first year submission as well. Example, if this is my 3rd renewal would I list 3 or 4. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just want to make sure what I submit is the correct info. Thanks for your help!
I sent you a private message with the letter I used to renew my Temporary Residency. You only count the renewals, not the first year.

Reactions: zoey_kat

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
I have a letter you can use. It's been accepted for all my renewals. Send me your email.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I sent you a private message with the letter I used to renew my Temporary Residency. You only count the renewals, not the first year.
Thank you so very much for the letter and also for the information on renewals, it is greatly appreciated!

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
For anyone reading looking for a sample letter:

DATE

Director General de Imigración
Presente

De mi mayor consideración:
Por medio de la presente, el que subscribe, YOUR NAME, de nacionalidad

YOUR COUNTRY, residente de Sosua, El Batey, Puerto Plata y empleado privado, pone
a su consideración la renovación por de residencia temporal , carnet # YOUR CEDULA

Muy atentamente,

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
For anyone reading looking for a sample letter:

DATE

Director General de Imigración
Presente

De mi mayor consideración:
Por medio de la presente, el que subscribe, YOUR NAME, de nacionalidad

YOUR COUNTRY, residente de Sosua, El Batey, Puerto Plata y empleado privado, pone
a su consideración la renovación por de residencia temporal , carnet # YOUR CEDULA

Muy atentamente,