Do you think the heavy handed moderation on this board and particulary this North Coast section is stifiling participation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I don't see why "Real Wealthy Movers and shakers" deserve any more respect in the conversation than anyone else. Maybe you wish you could hang out with them or were invited to their parties, but I don't. I prefer to treat everyone with the same level of respect, on this forum and elsewhere, whatever their "social status".
They ( 2 I know of ) were handled with DISRESPECT .. .One because his first Language is Italian . so his English was not perfect
So your point is invalid , and thank you for proving my point .

Reactions: twoinsosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think you missed his point............I took it as sarcasm.

While I will let him clarify what he meant, it appears to be one, or a consolidation of reasons some have posted over the years about all those posters who no longer post..........and how important/smart/wealthy/valuable (you pick the adjective) they were.

Posts like those are not new to DR1, but are generally posted by a disgruntled poster...........for whatever reason.

As to the poster who mentioned getting back to the old DR1...................those of us who began reading the board a long time ago (late 90's)...............can tell you unequivocally, you do not want to go back to that DR1...............that was true insanity......that would make the current DR1 seem like Sunday school.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
If you click on the arrow under a member's photo you can see when they began. If it says Jan1, 2002 it means they were already a member when the present message board started. Their actual start date would be in the 1990's.

The main thing that stands out in my mind is that in the early days far more participants were interested in learning about life in the DR and you felt you were doing a service when you answered them, even though you might answer the same question many times. I don't get that same sense of satisfaction today.

Now it seems more like another social media website, at times interesting, sometimes helpful, but it does not cause me to be glad the "old" DR1 is gone,

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Hah
I think you missed his point............I took it as sarcasm.

While I will let him clarify what he meant, it appears to be one, or a consolidation of reasons some have posted over the years about all those posters who no longer post..........and how important/smart/wealthy/valuable (you pick the adjective) they were.

Posts like those are not new to DR1, but are generally posted by a disgruntled poster...........for whatever reason.

As to the poster who mentioned getting back to the old DR1...................those of us who began reading the board a long time ago (late 90's)...............can tell you unequivocally, you do not want to go back to that DR1...............that was true insanity......that would make the current DR1 seem like Sunday school.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Haha I just by coincidence the other day came over a thread from 2012 and it wouldn’t be accepted today. I almost thought I would post and restart it but I thought I better not.

Jan 9, 2004
If you click on the arrow under a member's photo you can see when they began. If it says Jan1, 2002 it means they were already a member when the present message board started. Their actual start date would be in the 1990's.
Join date and lurk date may in many cases be different.

The main thing that stands out in my mind is that in the early days far more participants were interested in learning about life in the DR and you felt you were doing a service when you answered them, even though you might answer the same question many times. I don't get that same sense of satisfaction today.

Perhaps you don't remember the physical threats by some posters or the rash of early con artist posters who ended up in jail.

Now it seems more like another social media website, at times interesting, sometimes helpful, but it does not cause me to be glad the "old" DR1 is gone,
What many of us also remember is the countless love struck people who posted over and over about their resort love (sorry, but it always seemed to be Canadian women).............who were given good advice.............over and over..........and just did not want to hear it. For some years the board seemed to be dominated by that same story line.

And yes, lots of good/great/god-awful information posted here as well. But you need to spend time here to be able to discern the quality/veracity of that information...............both then...........and now.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have been a member almost since the beginning with one of the highest post counts, but got blown away by mistake so now I appear much "newer"

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A few years ago when Robert still owned DR1 he started a sub thread in Off Topic called Monfongo or something close to it. He asked me to be the first moderator on it and it would rotate every month. I didn't do the carnage that he had hoped for but I did manage to piss off several people before he took it over from me. It lasted about a month before he shut it down.

For those of you that remember it, it promoted politics, racism, and all the garbage that should have never been here. In my opinion it was a complete disaster. For those of you that do remember it, if I pissed you off, I apologize but get over it already. It was an experiment gone wrong.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I do think it's funny that some people think that there is nobody important comes on here. I am not very important at all myself, but I do know quite a lot of people in reasonably high positions in businesses and in government. And it occurred to me the other day that one of my friends who is Dominican, speaks perfect English and is a pretty big fish in the grand scheme of things comes on here every day (we were talking about DR1 and she mentioned a lot of recent threads, so clearly she is active). But I have no idea at all what name she is using or indeed if she is posting anything.

Reactions: twoinsosua

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I do think it's funny that some people think that there is nobody important comes on here. I am not very important at all myself, but I do know quite a lot of people in reasonably high positions in businesses and in government. And it occurred to me the other day that one of my friends who is Dominican, speaks perfect English and is a pretty big fish in the grand scheme of things comes on here every day (we were talking about DR1 and she mentioned a lot of recent threads, so clearly she is active). But I have no idea at all what name she is using or indeed if she is posting anything.
I have met many Dominicans who read dr1 but I don’t think many post.

Reactions: OldSkool and jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I feel very strongly both ways. It was far more colorful before.

Today, it is mostly replaced by other social media like Facebook.
some of them came here with the malicious intention of stealing DR1 traffic for their FB pages , sell their books, and cause Chaos here.
Some of the threads they started were so over the top,, it was shocking no one caught onto them.
they should have been shown the door long before they left on their own .

Reactions: Luperon

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
They ( 2 I know of ) were handled with DISRESPECT .. .One because his first Language is Italian . so his English was not perfect
So your point is invalid , and thank you for proving my point .
There's nothing "invalid" about his post as he clearly said he prefers to treat everyone with respect regardless of wallet size - you are the one seemingly suggesting a caste system where you grovel at these people's posts in order to get fringe benefits such as parties. Transactional posting if you will - not interested in the least. People on here are what they post not what they own.

As for the forum & the moderation itself, it ain't easy. As these things go, smaller forums tend to be dominated by a vocal few who provide the majority of the content, and DR1 is no different. Just takes a bit of sifting to find the good stuff. Bit of a thick skin also helps...

Reactions: OldSkool

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
It has become "fearful" to post as the reality is much of what goes on in the DR and Haiti has direct roots to USA P0/!t!($. Many that think these mod rules are bad probably won't even comment.
Lup, are you a chicken 🐥, you can't even spell out the word?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
DR1 has become stale and frankly just a little more interesting than the TV guide, but less than Reader's Digest.

Yes there is useful information exchanged but do we all need the top 15 - 20 posts everyday to be news stories we all can read on DT or other DR websites.

I'm sure the mods were instructed to keep the discussions DR vanilla. Carlos used to give us a longer leash on banter.

It seems to be a trend on all social media websites - stern censorship. Maybe the people of the world must be reducated? Time to walk in step.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
DR1 has become stale and frankly just a little more interesting than the TV guide, but less than Reader's Digest.

Yes there is useful information exchanged but do we all need the top 15 - 20 posts everyday to be news stories we all can read on DT or other DR websites.

I'm sure the mods were instructed to keep the discussions DR vanilla. Carlos used to give us a longer leash on banter.

It seems to be a trend on all social media websites - stern censorship. Maybe the people of the world must be reducated? Time to walk in step.
There could be several reasons for that. Despite the change of format it still comes across as being a bit outdated. The average age for posters keeps going up. 15 years ago I felt like one of younger posters and I still do at over 50. And times have changed for sure. Recently I was googling something and read a thread from 2012 and I couldn’t believe what was posted for instance by CC. I think meetoo also partly has come to even the DR. I am just brainstorming for the reasons. another is dr1 rightfully can be worried about libelous posts as they can become responsible in theory I guess.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There could be several reasons for that. Despite the change of format it still comes across as being a bit outdated. The average age for posters keeps going up. 15 years ago I felt like one of younger posters and I still do at over 50. And times have changed for sure. Recently I was googling something and read a thread from 2012 and I couldn’t believe what was posted for instance by CC. I think meetoo also partly has come to even the DR. I am just brainstorming for the reasons. another is dr1 rightfully can be worried about libelous posts as they can become responsible in theory I guess.
A post by CC, those were the days..lol. He is truly missed . Back on topic.. as posters we have to look at ourselves and what we are contributing. No one wants to read the same personal attacks/insults everyday. Many of us have aged but a lot of our advice is still relevant today. The name DR1 IMO is clear, it is about the Dominican Republic not anywhere else. Sure outside issues sometimes cloud that but it is still a forum about the Dominican Republic, where we chose to live and/or visit.

Reactions: melphis

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A post by CC, those were the days..lol. He is truly missed . Back on topic.. as posters we have to look at ourselves and what we are contributing. No one wants to read the same personal attacks/insults everyday. Many of us have aged but a lot of our advice is still relevant today. The name DR1 IMO is clear, it is about the Dominican Republic not anywhere else. Sure outside issues sometimes cloud that but it is still a forum about the Dominican Republic, where we chose to live and/or visit.
Yes it was some funny posts I read from CC but today I don’t think it would have passed the test. We should also be allowed to be critical of the country and I even think that is helpful especially when they are going out and painting a picture of the country being something it’s not. For most expats it can be a good place for living but much less so for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.