Does anyone know a sailboat......

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DR navigation permit and the actual owners might not be the same?

Hmm. The plot thickens.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
The DR navigation permit and the actual owners might not be the same?

Hmm. The plot thickens.
It can't be the same boat as in Pichardo's video because the rescue was on 7th June. I don't have any information about where Blown Away III was going to/coming from when it got into distress. The surviving crewmembers were found after signalling for help with a flashlight.......BTW, Blown Away became a very popular name for a sail boat after Natasha Lambert crossed the Atlantic in her own "Blown Away"

Reactions: PICHARDO

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It can't be the same boat as in Pichardo's video because the rescue was on 7th June. I don't have any information about where Blown Away III was going to/coming from when it got into distress. The surviving crewmembers were found after signalling for help with a flashlight.......BTW, Blown Away became a very popular name for a sail boat after Natasha Lambert crossed the Atlantic in her own "Blown Away"
I'm curious. When a ship rescues crewmembers in distress such as this case, what is the SOP for the abandoned vessel? Take it in tow? Shoot holes in it? Leave it drifting?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I'm curious. When a ship rescues crewmembers in distress such as this case, what is the SOP for the abandoned vessel? Take it in tow? Shoot holes in it? Leave it drifting?
It really depends on the circumstances. International maritime law compels the rescue vessel to make every effort to save lives but not property. It would not be practical or possible in this case for the rescue vessel to salvage the sailboat, even if it would be economically viable. A 55,000 ton cargo ship could not tow a sinking 40' sailboat very far. If the distressed vessel is not a hazard to navigation it would be left to drift until it sank or washed up on some shore.

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
this super secret black ops thread is so intriguing . I am going to read a Tom Clancy novel.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One time I was involved in the rescue of a boat crew on a boat with a damaged engine. They were in no harm, but they weren't going anywhere.
Once we got them on board, they got pretty angry when the captain said we were leaving the boat behind. The crew ended up jumping ship and swimming back to the boat.
Another boat in the area eventually came by and took them under tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.