Does ginger ale exist here?

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
I make my own...
Buy fresh ginger root in the produce section (Carre Four (Santo Domingo) usually has really fresh ginger, also La Sirena).Wash to remove dirt, slice into large pot. I usually buy about 4-5 pounds of ginger at a time. After slicing into a pot,I add about 2 quarts or more of water, and lots of natural sugar. Bring to a boil on stove, reduce heat and let simmer for a couple of hours ~you want to get all the flavor out of the root. It should thicken some. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Remove from heat and remove ginger. Poor into container and refrigerate. When you want ginger ale to drink, mix syrup with ClubSoda. This ginger ale definitely has more 'kick' to it than Canada Dry. it's really not hard to make and does not require exact measuring...

May 29, 2006
I've made candied ginger before. Up here though it's like US$3.50/pound just for the ginger. I've gotten hooked on this ginger chews called Chimes for about a buck for a small tin. What do Dominicans use Ginger for? I've seen it in the market, but never heard of anything made with it. Sometimes I make an orange/ginger glaze for chicken wings.

May 5, 2007
Funny thing; for past 6 months I have been having a hard time finding diet Ginger ale from major manufacturers in Central Florida/ I thought it was just me but checked with Winn Dixie, Albertsons, Publix and Wally World, very seldom can find any

Dec 21, 2008
I bought ginger ale at the Playero in Sosua two days ago. They had lots on the shelf in the beverage cooler. I also saw some at the back of the store where the beer/pop/juice is kept.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Playero has been stocking Canada Dry ginger ale for over one year now. Cans only, no bottles.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i have never heard of any shortage of ginger ale in santo domingo.
decided to have a look around whilst in supermercado amigo in naco.
sure enough they had half-litre and litre bottles of it, at least two different brands as well.
canada dry was one. another was called "polar ginger ale".
if memory serves me correct, it was rd$59 for the polar version.

they also had root beer ........one of the best things to have come out of the u.s. - have always loved the stuff.
a marmite type of love/hate thing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had another thread somewhere about ginger ale and cream soda but i cannot find it...

so, i never had this ginger ale thing before, always thinking it must be just some weird ass beer (ale, right?) but last week i saw canada dry ginger ale in jose luis so i decided to give it a go. they had small bottles (can sized, glass) a and larger (one lite, plastic). 57 pesos small and 135 pesos large. this ain't coca cola type of price, no, sir.

to make long story short. we bought it, tried it and loved it. it is really great. but the price is prohibitive, really.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
we had another thread somewhere about ginger ale and cream soda but i cannot find it...

so, i never had this ginger ale thing before, always thinking it must be just some weird ass beer (ale, right?) but last week i saw canada dry ginger ale in jose luis so i decided to give it a go. they had small bottles (can sized, glass) a and larger (one lite, plastic). 57 pesos small and 135 pesos large. this ain't coca cola type of price, no, sir.

to make long story short. we bought it, tried it and loved it. it is really great. but the price is prohibitive, really.

Probably because it's imported????

Let me tell you, if your stomach is acting up, there's nothing better than ginger ale to settle it down. It's the only soda my dad drank, there was always a bottle in the fridge.

I'm more partial to cream soda. Dominican merengue comes close to it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i understand it is imported, many things are, but 135 pesos? it's just ridiculous! dr pepper is also imported and costs 35 pesos per can while the tiny ginger ale is 57.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
a couple of weeks ago Nacional in Santiago had Food Club Ginger Ale (and other "flavors") for 10 pesos a can. I bought a few of the Ginger Ale...It's not Canada Dry, but it's pretty good.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
A good bartender can make a great immitation Ginger Ale out of Sprite, Tonic Water and a splash of Coke, looks and tastes pretty close to the real thing dependant on the bartender LOL.

I've seen Ginger Ale for sale in Iberia and Super Pola mainly in the big 2 litre pop bottles, don't remember the prices though.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
A few years ago (5+) there was a bottler in the D.R. for Canada Dry Ginger Ale (2L bottles and all). It lasted a few years and it was pretty damn close to the stuff back home.

I assume they have long since retired the brand here. Only thing available now is those damn expensive ass cans of Ginger Ale.

The reason Ginger Ale is so expensive now is because most Dominicans believe its only for mixing with liquor so they jack the price up.

May 29, 2006
yeah, i understand it is imported, many things are, but 135 pesos? it's just ridiculous! dr pepper is also imported and costs 35 pesos per can while the tiny ginger ale is 57.

Meanwhile in the States, you can get a two liter bottle of the stuff for less than a dollar.

I prefer Ginger Beer to Ginger Ale. It's much stronger. GOYA actually makes a good version of it. I'm surprised that's not available in the DR. It used to be better, but now they use HFCS instead of sugar.

The DR exports ginger. Must not be much of a demand for it in soda.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l1gZkf_-UyI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gQPN3UKQM-U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.................