Dog Dilemma

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have 3 dogs now, all rescues, having lost two others this year, one to old age and my small dog I believe was stolen ?
But on our morning walk one month ago (my dogs & I) came across one of the neighbor's dog, a small shepherd mix, lying alongside the road that had been run over by a car.
He had a crushed rear foot, the bones all crushed and also exposed, and several bleeding wounds on his hip, head and front leg and he was in severe pain.

I could not locate the neighbor (his 'owner') at the time of the accident but I could not abandon an injured dog in the road, so I made the decision to help him, having known and fed this dog for the past 4-5 years
I managed, with another neighbor's help, to slide him onto a beach towel, lift him into my SUV and get him to De La Cruz and wheeled in the back on a rolling cart.

I authorized X-rays to determine if he had internal injuries and the OK'd the surgery to put pins in his foot and I have spend nearing $600 in vet bills and medication and have been cleaning his wounds 3 times a day and feeding him well. It's been a lot of work, but his recovery and will to live is amazing andsoon he will not need anymore treatment.

A couple friends & neighbors (foreigners) chipped in with the vet bills which was not asked of them, but appreciated). The dog is now walking with my dogs (hopping on 3 leg), but avoids using the crushed foot, but he should start using that too in a couple more weeks. He does rest weight on it now, and the swelling is nearly gone.

This dog is the best patient, he does not nip at me cleaning his wounds, he eats well - mainly meat, drinks and rests on his bed between walks. He does not bark nor whine and seems to like all people. He also seems to love car rides and he stands still for a bath. He sleeps all night without stirring.

I can not keep another dog as I truly want to make plans someday to leave DR, with my own three dogs.

I am reluctant to return him to the Dominican neighbor, as he has not offered one peso, towards his care, and even more telling, has he not even come by to visit this sweet guy, and I fear he will be left in the street, as before, and not cared for properly.

He is about 35 pounds, he's neutered, fully house trained, can be left alone no problem. He might fill out some after he gets back on all fours but he's a smallish dog of about 5 years.

I included one photo. Is anyone is interested in acquiring one for the easiest dogs on the planet to care for - for free and I will evenbuy the first 40 lbs of kibble.
He's a good looking dog and would happily go with you on any road trip, to the beach, the river, the store, the bar and sit by your side without a leash. He just deserves a good home with a yard. Anyone ?

Attachments

• Snap16.jpg
    Snap16.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 113

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I know that good wishes want solve your problem but may G-D multiply every $ that you did spend by X100.

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What area are you in, Bill? I'll help spread the word
Sosua (North Coast)
Honestly this dog is so easy going anyone who is willing to feed and walk him will have absolutely no issues with him.
He loves his two meals a day and a few long drinks of clean water - that's all he needs

Reactions: JLSawmam

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I can't take the dog but I can help with the $$$ burden, just tell me the easiest way to send to you.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

My ex concunado and his wife run a not-for-profit out of SFM and West Palm Beach, FL. If you can not find a taker, maybe get in touch with them about an adoption.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

My ex concunado and his wife run a not-for-profit out of SFM and West Palm Beach, FL. If you can not find a taker, maybe get in touch with them about an adoption.
It is not easy to get dogs to the US from DR since the CDC put an end to that a couple years ago

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How would one transport a dog from the north to the south?
You take the Nagua road and he goes to Nagua or wherever you want to meet and get the dog. Meet about half way..............The dog might have trouble on gua gua's by himself...........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My issue is that I don't want to drive to the NC. My car has 116k miles and ran warm when we went to PC from BC a few weeks ago. I'm going to be in PP for a few days this coming Friday, and if there was a way to relatively cheaply get the dog back to BC, I would do it. I won't pay $200USD for a taxi from PP to BC, and I'm just guestimating that amount.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can't take the dog but I can help with the $$$ burden, just tell me the easiest way to send to you.
Thanks but I'm not looking for money - I'm looking to give this dog his best chance at living a good life with an owner that will appreciate his potential.

Reactions: sosuadr

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My issue is that I don't want to drive to the NC. My car has 116k miles and ran warm when we went to PC from BC a few weeks ago. I'm going to be in PP for a few days this coming Friday, and if there was a way to relatively cheaply get the dog back to BC, I would do it. I won't pay $200USD for a taxi from PP to BC, and I'm just guestimating that amount.
Let's talk after I get him fully healed and rehabilitated. He's got at least 6 weeks in my estimation to heal up and start using his repaired foot.
I would be willing to transport him to a good caring home but I'd like any potential new owner to meet him and be certain they are positive to commit to him.
He doesn't need another setback he's looking for kindness and love.