Has anybody shipped a dog lately?
what the average price for the ticket?
I know it depends on size,
just need an idea
Manu

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Just to share with everyone. I called Delta, and they quoted me at $2300 for 2 dogs shipped as cargo using Giant kennels (Sky Kennels International Airline Approved Travel Dog Crates, ~ Sky Kennel, Giant #700, 2 Pack ( Nested, Boxed )). I also was in contact with aduanas in Santiago and here is what they emailed me...

Los requisitos que necesita para deliverar lo perrito aqui en Rep?blica Dominicana son

1-Vacunaci?n al dia

1-Certificado de Salud de su veterinario

Si, se los puede llevar enseguida cuando el personal de Sanidad Animal le llene los formularios correspondientes.

Con los certificados aqui le proporcional un Zoosanitario para darle salida del aeropuerto.
Despues que sanidad local aqui en el aeropuerto chequea los perritos y los permisos de ellos le proceden a hacer un documento que se llama Zoosanitario el cual certifica que los perritos fueron inspeccionados al momento de llegar al pa?s.

El costo de este formulario son US$15.00

Tambien pagar?a a la linea aqui un pago por concepto de retiro de documentos y almacenaje de US$60.00

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My last trip on AA was $150 each way..... #5 crate w/ a Boxer (55lbs.)
It was MIA to SDQ.... but it doesn't matter - flat rate

WestJet , in Canada, is $75 r/t - $50 1 way..... same dog, same deal

Air Canada has a policy of 70lb max - kennel + dog...don't know the price b/c I'm over that limit

Continental ships as Cargo... not checked luggage.
So you need to drop off/pickup at the cargo terminal.... quite a pain.
The DR to USA is about $350 each way for my situation
CO is the considered the best in the business... direct hotline to track the dog, etc

BUT..... here's the catch, the airlines have restricted times when no dogs are allowed as baggage.
WestJet just told me this week..... they fly dogs Oct31 to May 1 for DR travel.
They also have an embrgo at Xmas time... Dec18 to early Jan due to heavy passenger loads and baggage

I'm in the middle of all this b/c my dog is in the DR... stuck w/ no exit plan at present.

Hope that helps

Bear in mind that not all airlines are pet friendly.... JetBlue, Spirit... nix

Reactions: Auryn

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My last trip on AA was $150 each way..... #5 crate w/ a Boxer (55lbs.)
It was MIA to SDQ.... but it doesn't matter - flat rate

WestJet , in Canada, is $75 r/t - $50 1 way..... same dog, same deal

Air Canada has a policy of 70lb max - kennel + dog...don't know the price b/c I'm over that limit

Continental ships as Cargo... not checked luggage.
So you need to drop off/pickup at the cargo terminal.... quite a pain.
The DR to USA is about $350 each way for my situation
CO is the considered the best in the business... direct hotline to track the dog, etc

BUT..... here's the catch, the airlines have restricted times when no dogs are allowed as baggage.
WestJet just told me this week..... they fly dogs Oct31 to May 1 for DR travel.
They also have an embrgo at Xmas time... Dec18 to early Jan due to heavy passenger loads and baggage

I'm in the middle of all this b/c my dog is in the DR... stuck w/ no exit plan at present.

Hope that helps

Bear in mind that not all airlines are pet friendly.... JetBlue, Spirit... nix

Can you give me more info on the crate you used? Link where I can maybe purchase one? How tall was your dog? $150 sounds very good, was that via carry on or cargo?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
With dogs, you go to the front of the line.... no waiting.... I got it w/ all of them I have used - AA, WestJet
Crates go bigger.... mine is #5.... they go to #7 don't they?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Find a good home for the dog in his native country.
Dominican street dogs are far more friendly - bark - bark.
Save the jet fuel.
Yanandu.

Reactions: Gadfly

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
With dogs, you go to the front of the line.... no waiting.... I got it w/ all of them I have used - AA, WestJet
Crates go bigger.... mine is #5.... they go to #7 don't they?
Ive only seen up to an Extra Large size. I was thinking I would need a Giant size, which is 35"H, their Extra Large is 30"H. I just dont want to risk having my dog sent back just cause his ears are touching the top of the kennel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ive only seen up to an Extra Large size. I was thinking I would need a Giant size, which is 35"H, their Extra Large is 30"H. I just dont want to risk having my dog sent back just cause his ears are touching the top of the kennel.

I've never seen them be too fussy.... but I've never pushed the limit, either

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Oh boy Yan
thats almost like saying

Leave your old spouse at home ,find another one here lol
Manu

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Jet Blue only take up to 20# dogs and the weight includes the carrier. AA will take heavier dogs but the problem is the temperature. They will not take the dog if the temp is 85 degree or higher. That is for take off and landing. They use the preive dicted high at the destination. So if you take off in the am and its cool but land in the pm and its hot they can say no and you dont fly. A big problem in the summer months. Dogs are very prone to dying from the heat and they developed this policy to avoid that tragedy. I am shipping three in the next month or so from PP to Miami. Other big problem is changing planes with dogs. I am going to have to ve from Houston to Miami other wise its a plane change, six hour wait and the temperture problem all over again.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks
thats good to know about the temps
last week we had 91 f in houston and its only may
Manu

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, i knew about the temperature requirements. There is also a kennel requirement I recently learned about. They wont accept plastic latches, the hardware that holds the top and button of the kennel must be metal knuts and bolt, not plastic. I called Delta and they confirmed it. If you have a kennel that only uses plastic latches you can always drill holes for nuts and bolts to secure it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, i knew about the temperature requirements. There is also a kennel requirement I recently learned about. They wont accept plastic latches, the hardware that holds the top and button of the kennel must be metal knuts and bolt, not plastic. I called Delta and they confirmed it. If you have a kennel that only uses plastic latches you can always drill holes for nuts and bolts to secure it.

Seems to vary w/ the airlines.... I had the plastic bolts in December on WestJet.

Status
Not open for further replies.