Dogs

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Give mine a bowl of only purina and you will have the proof that dogs do remember AND compare !!!!!
They will scatter the purina all over the place.

Of course give them only purina a couple of days in a row and they will finally eat...... out of hunger.

Children are no different----

Brussel sprouts are a good example
I can remember stuffing them in my cheeks to spit out later

Otherwise, they appeared on my next plate- breakfast.... that was always the threat !!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The point being, had they always been fed Purina, then Purina would be fine tonight and it might be something else they would choose to turn their nose up at.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Malko, they don't remember. it's been proven time and time again that dogs do not have very good memories. Yes they remember what you smell like and they can remember what your moto sounds like coming down the street provided that the scent and sound is reinforced often. If you give your dog away and have no contact with it, after a period of time, it will not dwell on your absence nor miss you. Some breeds may recognize your scent as familair at some future time but not all.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Malko, they don't remember. it's been proven time and time again that dogs do not have very good memories. Yes they remember what you smell like and they can remember what your moto sounds like coming down the street provided that the scent and sound is reinforced often. If you give your dog away and have no contact with it, after a period of time, it will not dwell on your absence nor miss you. Some breeds may recognize your scent as familair at some future time but not all.

I had a little nondescript dog I called Goofy. I left the DR leaving him with others. When I returned 11 months later I didn't expect him to remember me, but he definitely did.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had a little nondescript dog I called Goofy. I left the DR leaving him with others. When I returned 11 months later I didn't expect him to remember me, but he definitely did.

My 1st dog in the dr remembered me after 2 years of absence......

I come back after 6 months of absence and i have 0 fear when entering my house guarded by my rotties, the pincher and a husky-ish........ of course they remember me.

Other story :

My wife saved a tiny peluche type dog. It came to die in the shade of our wall, roadside. Somebody had literally split its head with a machete, and the !@##$ing owners abandoned him far-ish down the road ( 20km ) instead of having to dish out a few pesos and a bit of their time.
Anyhow, a few months later, we ( me, wife and the big dogs )came home from walkies ( or the neighbours ) and we forgot cubby ( new name for small dog ) outside.
His ex-owner saw him and decided since he was all clean and all, that she would take him back.
She called him, no luck. So she came over to pick him up, and he tried to bite her :):)

No memory, my foot !!!!!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My 1st dog in the dr remembered me after 2 years of absence......

I come back after 6 months of absence and i have 0 fear when entering my house guarded by my rotties, the pincher and a husky-ish........ of course they remember me.

Other story :

My wife saved a tiny peluche type dog. It came to die in the shade of our wall, roadside. Somebody had literally split its head with a machete, and the !@##$ing owners abandoned him far-ish down the road ( 20km ) instead of having to dish out a few pesos and a bit of their time.
Anyhow, a few months later, we ( me, wife and the big dogs )came home from walkies ( or the neighbours ) and we forgot cubby ( new name for small dog ) outside.
His ex-owner saw him and decided since he was all clean and all, that she would take him back.
She called him, no luck. So she came over to pick him up, and he tried to bite her :):)

No memory, my foot !!!!!

Maybe Canadian dogs are different!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They remember - and they know.

A German once told me of a short for dog allegiance.
I had rescued a Doberman and saved its life - it was a faithful loyal dog - it knew

The German shortcut is they take the puppy to water and almost drown it
Then pull it out.....
Instant loyalty.....

Not a pretty picture but apparently works

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They remember - and they know.

A German once told me of a short for dog allegiance.
I had rescued a Doberman and saved its life - it was a faithful loyal dog - it knew

The German shortcut is they take the puppy to water and almost drown it
Then pull it out.....
Instant loyalty.....

Not a pretty picture but apparently works

Cruel. That German must be a holdover from Mengele's school of experiments.
Don't do something so sadistic

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I knew this is the direction this discussion would take. The number of legitimate studies over time dealing with canine physiology and psychology outnumber those for chimpanzees and rats combined.

Since people started keeping and domesticating dogs, some have mistakenly believed that through breeding and conditioning, the animal is no longer just a dog. Thus man's best friend has been endowed by some with more emotions, memory, reasoning and general cognitive abilities that most higher order primates.

I love my dogs, but they are dogs. They do not love me back. They are happy to see me return home not because they missed me, but because I am the leader of the pack and now that I am home, the hunt for dinner can begin. We play and both sides seem to get some fulfillment from the activity. The gentle touch of my hand or the nudge of a cold wet nose against my arm is just an acknowledgment for the dog of my presence - perhaps an attempt at mutual assurance that all is good.

The species' unique ability to fit into our homes and daily lives understandably leads to more intellectual credit than it rightfully deserves. The last intelligence study I read placed the Standard Poodle at the top of the domesticated dog intelligence scale - putting it somewhere near or slightly above the brain function of a human 2 year old. For Rottie lovers, that breed came in 7th place if I remember correctly.

I don't care what you believe and I couldn't care less what you choose to feed your dog(s). Do whatever makes you and your dog happy. Just care for them because you invited them into your lives. If in return for your care and kindness you believe that your dog loves you, that's fine I guess. A consolidation of sorts for having to pick up all those landmines everyday.

For those who are interested in learning more about the true nature of dogs and their relationships with humans, there is so much authoritative information available that you can't help but trip over it. Conversely lots of bloggers and kooks proclaiming dogs to be psychic or an alien invasion intelligence gathering plot.

Good night to all the dogs curled up at their owners feet just waiting for that gentle reassurance that all is good...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...mals-chimpanzees-science-mind-psychology.html

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I am something of a fanatic dog lover.
I have three in the DR and three in the US.
They eat a lot.
In the US I buy a 50# bag of Purina Dog Chow for about $25.00
Here in Sosua it is nearly double the price at Playero.

I tried the little agriculture vet supply on 5 going toward the hospital and the price was about the same.
Anyone found a less expensive way to buy quality dog food here?

I didn't read the whole thread. Not worth it. If you are going to collect then YOU NEED TO BE RESPONSIBLE. That's all.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Children are no different----

Brussel sprouts are a good example
I can remember stuffing them in my cheeks to spit out later

Otherwise, they appeared on my next plate- breakfast.... that was always the threat !!

I put mine in my sock as we could not leave the table till they were gone.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

You were lucky Zoomie, Mine had to go into my mouth, chewed and swallowed. No getting over my mother in our house.

I'm still amazed I love all these vegetables I hated back when I was a kid.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011

we had oatmeal for breakfast every am for 8 kids, when I did not eat the lumpy oatmeal I got it for lunch, yuck ! took one bite and thru up, never had it for lunch again but ate it at breakfast, to this day can not touch it in any form.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You were lucky Zoomie, Mine had to go into my mouth, chewed and swallowed. No getting over my mother in our house.

I'm still amazed I love all these vegetables I hated back when I was a kid.
He's lucky it was a sprout.

I had to eat all my liver. Yuck!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An topic on a motorcycle forum that invartiably turns ugly is "what kind of oil should I use?"

On dog food, seems there are varying opinions.

I had a neighbor who was an executive for Purina and of course he swore by his food. We used Purina for many years with zero probles for all our dogs. Their basic dog chow is 23% protein with balanced minerals. It is very reasonably priced and all the dogs eat it with joy.

My friend the vet in Santiago who passed away suggested the PrioceSmart store brand in the maroon bag. 28% protein, and nary a problem although more expensive. Dogs are fine with it.

We brought home a Great Dane puppy from a breeder with incredible knowledge of the breed. Many on DR1 know her. She is adamant that Dane puppies, and really all "large breed" puppies not have more than 23% peotein MAX for the first year of their lives, because the large breeds need to grow more slowly for leg, hip and joint development. Rapid growth can cause problems. Great Danes are not fully grown until 2 years, not one as with most breeds.

She says "Their genetics will decide how big they grow. YOU can decide how fast."

So we went with Canovi, the only non-mom food he has known, 23% protein. His growth has been modersate, but very solid.

Then we took the young guy to a new, fancy vet in Santiago, a first-class facility all the way (with corresponding prices) and he strongly suggested a Science Diet food he claimed was best for "maxi" pups.

I made a mistake. I bought it without asking more questions or the price. Big mistake.

It is 30% protein, and cost RD$4800 for a 15kg bag. Never again. I mix it with the other dog's food for the 3 adults, and keep the new Dans on Canovi. However, we may go back to the PriceSmart food for him after a yeart or so.

They don't get anything off the table, but lick empty dinner plates, a pre-cleaning, for a ritual nighttime treat.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Puppy food has a higher protein content....

I have mixed Science Diet with other foods... for variety & economy (hehehe)

I think anything in the low 20's is good enough

I said before & say again - Bravo house brand

Use puppy food for 6 - 8 months or so.....then hunt up a 22-23% replacement

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I didn't read the whole thread. Not worth it.

Good call, it's filled with a lot of nonsense written by some very bored people.

There is no such thing as a "good" commercial dog food brand. Especially not anything that is available in this country. The best bet is to make your own food. It's easy, doesn't take much time and actually costs less than buying the commercial food.

3lbs of ground beef or deboned chicken. Substitute for meat scrapes from any local butcher is fine.
1 pack of chicken livers
6 oz of spinach
6 oz diced carrots
2 packs of spiral pasta noodles.

Cook the pasta, drain it and place in large flat tupperware container. Cook the meat and veggies and then layer on top of the pasta. Essentially making one large casserole dish. You can and should alter the ingredients from time to time by substituting different proteins and vegetables. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/fruits-vegetables-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/

Cheers

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Good call, it's filled with a lot of nonsense written by some very bored people.

There is no such thing as a "good" commercial dog food brand. Especially not anything that is available in this country. The best bet is to make your own food. It's easy, doesn't take much time and actually costs less than buying the commercial food.

3lbs of ground beef or deboned chicken. Substitute for meat scrapes from any local butcher is fine.
1 pack of chicken livers
6 oz of spinach
6 oz diced carrots
2 packs of spiral pasta noodles.

Cook the pasta, drain it and place in large flat tupperware container. Cook the meat and veggies and then layer on top of the pasta. Essentially making one large casserole dish. You can and should alter the ingredients from time to time by substituting different proteins and vegetables. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/fruits-vegetables-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/

Cheers

I'm guessing you're on the north coast? There are various sources for good dry dog food in SD.