Domestic Violence in the DR (Again): The Case of Tamara Martínez and That Thing Called Her Ex

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lately, this case has been aired in all the social media of the DR. It was made public that Tamara Martínez (well known Dominican woman that has been in several television programs) has been the victim of violence from her ex, Emilio López (from now on referred to as "the thing" in this post.) The thing didn't limit to actually hitting her in his home when they were a couple, but everywhere they coincided in public (supermarket, etc) he directed some sort of violence towards her. She was forced the sign a paper claiming that he did nothing to her, but she claims that was a lie.

The thing has been removed from this podcast where he was one of the interviewers.

The thing has been arrested and is now in prevention prison as further investigation is done by the authorities regarding the case. Hopefully, this becomes permanent for the thing. Nothing has been said regarding his ability to continue practicing law as the thing is a lawyer, but the exequatur should be revoked, IMO.

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Need a woman's perspective because I can't understand this. Apparently she is a strong woman yet she remained with him without cutting his dick off. I can't grasp this at all.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Believe women" :rolleyes:

Man story - "Yeah so I went to this bar the other day and the owners robbed and beat me. So then I went back there the next day and they robbed and beat me again. And then I kept going back and they kept robbing me and beating me."

And then everyone said "THAT IS SO TERRIBLE. I cannot believe those people would treat THAT POOR MAN like that. How dare they."

Because the story makes sense and no one deserves to get robbed and beaten.

Right???

Reactions: Big

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo

According to The Atlantic, the adoption of a rule in Britain according to which law enforcement should believe reports of sexual assault and consider complainants to be victims led to improper police investigation of claims and the overlooking of contradicting evidence, resulting in the collapse of prosecutions and false accusations against the accused.[6][7]

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I think there are a lot of cultural factors here, toxic codependency, and, as mentioned above, fear of her abuser seeking retribution. A very valid fear, I might add, as a woman is most likely to be assaulted or murdered when she leaves her abuser.
There's also 'Stockholm Syndrome', I suppose, although I've always felt that happened with the mentally weak.
As a woman, I DON'T UNDERSTAND staying with an abuser as I have a zero tolerance policy personally. But it seems to be quite common for women to have a really difficult time leaving abusive men (especially poor women, but in this case, she isn't poor).
Obviously, he is a horrible person, but at the end of the day she probably has/had the resources necessary to leave him.
My final unpopular opinion is that, in these cases, no-one is 100% a victim. If you are not caged in a dungeon, there is probably a way to escape this type of situation, as difficult as it may be. But the prison of the mind is very strong for many people.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Money and resources make it easier to leave but are no guarantee. The psychological trauma and literal prison of abuse won’t ever be fully understood by people who have never experienced it.

That’s part of the reason it’s so hard for these women to leave, they’re judged, blamed, not understood. Especially here.

In another country she might be placed in some version of a witness protection program.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It appears that at least to Dominican eyes ,this man is guilty until he proves his innocence. No one here knows anything about the case except what the woman has said and that may be false because lying and perjury are standard procedure in the DR. We have read numerous times in DR1. of cases where women make false accusations that a man has raped their daughter and the fiscal sees the pesos signs flashing before his eyes as he tells the victim openly or slyly that he faces 20 years prison or can pay 200,000 .
I have no idea whether this man is innocent or guilty . We only know that a woman, skilled in TV programmes has made accusations on social media and a fiscal has acted on it .
The writer of the Original Post has not only found the man Guilty , based on youtube videos , but also has decided how he must be sentenced. What chance has this man got if this is modi operandi in the DR. !! Beware of false accusations and the fiscal and the police in the DR. Your innocence is less important than your dollars.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Enough of the inappropriate posts... I would suggest before you hit the "post" button you re-read what you are posting.

Reactions: MariaRubia

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are ither cases of abuse that recently went in the limelight.

There is the case of Amelia Alcántara as it was caught on tape while in a nightclub her husband supposeely slapped her in public, but she clsims he didn't slapped her. This case made it to Hispanic TV shows based in the USA like Al Rojo Vivo (I think they are based in Miami).

IMG_0487.jpeg

About a month ago there was the case of Chantal, a 20-something years old Dominican woman that was killed by her ex for leaving him.

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
One of my best friends was threatened at knifepoint, kidnapped and raped by a boyfriend recently and then after all of that she spent the whole of the next couple of days with him (this was in another country, not DR). And before all the mansplaining begins, there is clear evidence of her being threatened at knifepoint and being kidnapped.

I think there's something in the female psyche that makes us not give up on a man and come back for more even when he is being a complete jerk. Yes this guy clearly attacked her, but she must have had feelings for him and I'm sure he will have constantly said "please forgive me it was a bad moment, you know I love you". Come on girls, we've all been with a guy who is no good. Personally I have never had a guy hit me, but I've had guys do every other bad-arse thing you could do to me and when I was younger and more stupid yes, I would have forgiven him just this once, twice, three times when he begged me for forgiveness.