Domestic Worker Laid Off for Corona Virus Quarantine

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Mr. Guzman,

My housekeeper comes only one day a week for three hours. I cannot have her come during the next few weeks and possibly longer because of the quarantine (social distancing) for the Carona Virus outbreak here. She has not had her vacation so i suppose I should pay her for at least two weeks worth of work (two days) but what if I decide not to have her return at all. Domestic workers are still exempt from payments for liquidation, correct? But if I do decide to pay her some liquidation, it is not obiligatory and is only whatever I choose to pay, correct? Thanks!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Not a legal advice, but a human one, pay her till that whole Corona thingy eases. That s the right thing to do, if you can afford it. Should you decide to get rid of her, do it when she has a chance to find another job to feed her family.

My 2 pesos

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Not a legal advice, but a human one, pay her till that whole Corona thingy eases. That s the right thing to do, if you can afford it. Should you decide to get rid of her, do it when she has a chance to find another job to feed her family.

My 2 pesos

You're completely correct! I didn't think about her having to find a new job to replace the income. I pay her well for the three hours but cut her back to one day a week because I have another cleaner on her other old day who I pay less but still pretty good. ($800 pesos vs $500 pesos), so it's a little about saving money but also about her enthusiasm and thoroughness. So I was already thinking of letting her go. But she's been with me a long time. I don't have money to burn but I can manage 800 pesos a week till the economy rebounds (or at least a few months). Thanks for reminding me to be compasionate! I usually am... but I guess I'm freaking out a littel too!

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Moderator, how do i correct the spelling in my original post headline and text...Carona needs to be Corona...thanks!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Gosh do you believe that RD$ 500 is a good wage for a day's work? If someone worked every day of the month on that money they would earn RD$ 10,000 which is probably just about enough to stop them from starving, but living in the most basic level of poverty. I would personally be concerned about paying such low wages both from an ethical point of view, but also from the point of view that this is someone who is coming into your home and is around your possessions.

Hotel cleaners earn at least RD$ 20,000 a month, and probably nearer to RD$ 30,000 a month and on those wages they survive, but aren't rich. You really need to think that your cleaner has to come to and from work, she has to eat lunch, she has to pay rent, she has to buy food in the same supermarkets that you buy food in. Many have children they also need to take care of.

It's especially important at times of crisis that those of us who have the fortune of growing up in rich countries with amazing education and healthcare and greater access to capital share the love and the cash.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Gosh do you believe that RD$ 500 is a good wage for a day's work? If someone worked every day of the month on that money they would earn RD$ 10,000 which is probably just about enough to stop them from starving, but living in the most basic level of poverty. I would personally be concerned about paying such low wages both from an ethical point of view, but also from the point of view that this is someone who is coming into your home and is around your possessions.

Hotel cleaners earn at least RD$ 20,000 a month, and probably nearer to RD$ 30,000 a month and on those wages they survive, but aren't rich. You really need to think that your cleaner has to come to and from work, she has to eat lunch, she has to pay rent, she has to buy food in the same supermarkets that you buy food in. Many have children they also need to take care of.

It's especially important at times of crisis that those of us who have the fortune of growing up in rich countries with amazing education and healthcare and greater access to capital share the love and the cash.

For 3 hours (read her original post) it is OK. I pay 250 pesos per hour, sometimes more to my domestic cleaner. She is usually done in under 2 hours then she gets on my computer for an hour and eats my food and I pay her for the whole time and even fill a funda con comida.
Last time she walked out with two full Playero bags of food and a $1,000 pesos.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!

$20,000 and $30,000 pesos per month? What DR is this? Clearly this isnt the DR I live in. The average worker makes about $12,000 pesos per month. Theyd dance in the streets if the average was $20,000 or more. You're way off base here.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
For 3 hours (read her original post) it is OK. I pay 250 pesos per hour, sometimes more to my domestic cleaner. She is usually done in under 2 hours then she gets on my computer for an hour and eats my food and I pay her for the whole time and even fill a funda con comida.
Last time she walked out with two full Playero bags of food and a $1,000 pesos.

Apologies, I missed the 3 hours per day. Yes RD$ 800 is reasonable if the person is only working 3 hours a day.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
$20,000 and $30,000 pesos per month? What DR is this? Clearly this isnt the DR I live in. The average worker makes about $12,000 pesos per month. Theyd dance in the streets if the average was $20,000 or more. You're way off base here.

Obviously I would have absolutely no idea how much hotel cleaners earn having owned a hotel in Dom Rep for 9 years and knowing a lot of other hoteliers.

I have admitted that I misread the OP and the fact that the ladies are only working for 3 hours a day makes their wages reasonable and fair. If they were for a full day, then they wouldn't be.

I've read so many of your posts Alexw where you seem to be able to rent beautiful apartments for buttons, and take four people out to dinner for US$ 10 and still get change, and I wonder if we do actually live in the same DR. Even the poorest workers I know like security guards earn RD$ 15,000 and upwards per month. My friend who is a nail technician earns RD$ 2,500 a day. My friend who is an Uber driver clears RD$ 1,500 a day after paying his gas. In Santo Domingo, if you look at the clothes people are wearing, how many new cars are being driven, how busy the supermarkets are, how long the waiting lists are for private schools, it's very clear that the average worker is making way more than RD$ 12,000 a month. Maybe in Ocoa or San Juan it's a different story, but I know in the capital people are earning way more, and they need to just to survive.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Keep on mind that finding good and trusted workers is dificult, need to be trained and thus...hard to find.

Ours are being paid FULL TIME PAY even though only one works half a day to cover what is essential.

We have a small commercial rental that is closed so we forgive/no rent during this. They have been good tenants and those are hard to find.

I guess I'm selfish looking after myself

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
This topic was beat to death a few months ago regarding wages.

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe the OP posted a question to the Legal Forum asking for professional advice. Not that of the entire community at large, who for the most part, do not employ any persons.

Furthermore, she has stated her own personal situation within, of not being in the best of health for over the course of the last year. Some of you feign outrage on a daily basis, but your true colours shine real and bright when you least expect, and most expose yourselves.

True masqueraders if there were ever.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Obviously I would have absolutely no idea how much hotel cleaners earn having owned a hotel in Dom Rep for 9 years and knowing a lot of other hoteliers.

I have admitted that I misread the OP and the fact that the ladies are only working for 3 hours a day makes their wages reasonable and fair. If they were for a full day, then they wouldn't be.

I've read so many of your posts Alexw where you seem to be able to rent beautiful apartments for buttons, and take four people out to dinner for US$ 10 and still get change, and I wonder if we do actually live in the same DR. Even the poorest workers I know like security guards earn RD$ 15,000 and upwards per month. My friend who is a nail technician earns RD$ 2,500 a day. My friend who is an Uber driver clears RD$ 1,500 a day after paying his gas. In Santo Domingo, if you look at the clothes people are wearing, how many new cars are being driven, how busy the supermarkets are, how long the waiting lists are for private schools, it's very clear that the average worker is making way more than RD$ 12,000 a month. Maybe in Ocoa or San Juan it's a different story, but I know in the capital people are earning way more, and they need to just to survive.

Again we must live in two different DR's. Maybe youre paying phenomenal wages but that is definitely not the norm. I have a friend who works in the Barcelo, just made manager, she makes 13,000 pesos per month. I have another friend who works in the Catalona (or whatever you call it) and she makes 11000 pesos per month. I have several friends in the restaurant business who make just 5000 pesos per month. Others who do nails and so on that barely make 10000 pesos per month. 2500 per day doing nails in the DR. Thats $250 usd a week; $1000 a month. Please youre making me laugh.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Again we must live in two different DR's. Maybe youre paying phenomenal wages but that is definitely not the norm. I have a friend who works in the Barcelo, just made manager, she makes 13,000 pesos per month. I have another friend who works in the Catalona (or whatever you call it) and she makes 11000 pesos per month. I have several friends in the restaurant business who make just 5000 pesos per month. Others who do nails and so on that barely make 10000 pesos per month. 2500 per day doing nails in the DR. Thats $250 usd a week; $1000 a month. Please youre making me laugh.

Alex the salaries you are quoting are salaries without the Propina Legal. Ask them how much is actually paid into their bank and you will find it is much higher. And the cash tips are good in Catalonia. One of my managers was the reception manager there, and I also employed a GM who was Deputy Manager when it was Hilton.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Alex the salaries you are quoting are salaries without the Propina Legal. Ask them how much is actually paid into their bank and you will find it is much higher. And the cash tips are good in Catalonia. One of my managers was the reception manager there, and I also employed a GM who was Deputy Manager when it was Hilton.

I dont even debate you people no more.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/los-salarios-minimos-de-los-trabajadores-dominicanos-JF16025840

https://hoy.com.do/salarios-dignos-en-republica-dominicana/

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
What Dominicans make in Santo Domingo per month..and other parts of the country is very different..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Our lowest paid, teaching assistants make between 8-10,000, our cleaners 10-14000, our teachers 18-30,000, our secretaries 16,000 , our administrator/tax gal 35,000. All are being paid this month. Next month we would have had to borrow money, but thankfully with the government kicking in up to 8500 per employee we should be ok.