domincan driving licence

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I heard, that foreigners need after living here for more than 3 months a Dominican driver licence.
Since I'm originally from Germany, I have a European international driving license - do I really need additional the Dominican licence?
If yes, what is the easiest way to get the required licence, what do I need and how much does it cost?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Dominican drivers license

Your foreign (or Non-Dominican ) driver's license is only valid for 90 days to drive in the DR. If you leave and come back into the country, the 90 day clock has been restarted.

To get a Dominican driver's license , you must first have a DR cedula, and you can only get a cedula by being a legal resident of the DR.

Why bother getting a DR license? Should you have an accident while driving, and you have been here longer than 90 days, you are going to the pokey (i.e. JAIL) because you have broken the law.

I am not sure of the effect on your car insurance while driving without a valid driver's license, but in many other countries, that usually means you aren't covered anymore by the insurance as well, and you are responsible for the damages personally. I defer this response to Sr Guzman.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
thanks for your quick reply...
I am a legal resident of the DR with residencia, cedula...etc, own my own car, and I am not going back to my origin country every 90 days... so I guess I NEED the dominican driving license, specially now, when the AMET police is so picky and at some check points on the highway stops to control almost every 2nd car.
So, what do I have to do, where can I get the licence?

Christina

Jan 9, 2002
einfach und nicht teuer

Gehe zu einer Fahrschule und melde Dich da an. Somit hast Du ersteinmal eine Bescheinigung mit der Du fahren darfst. (Anmeldegeb?hr 500,- RD ) Den Rest mus dann die Fahrschule f?r Dich beantragen. Die Geb?hrenmarken f?r alles in allem sind 3000,-RD incl. Anmeldegeb?hr. Das Ganze dauert 6 Wochen oder auch 1/2 Jahr !
Gru? Christina

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Gehe zu einer Fahrschule und melde Dich da an. Somit hast Du ersteinmal eine Bescheinigung mit der Du fahren darfst. (Anmeldegeb?hr 500,- RD ) Den Rest mus dann die Fahrschule f?r Dich beantragen. Die Geb?hrenmarken f?r alles in allem sind 3000,-RD incl. Anmeldegeb?hr. Das Ganze dauert 6 Wochen oder auch 1/2 Jahr !
Gru? Christina

Babel translation:

Go to a driving school and announce you there. Thus you have firstonce a certificate with which you drive may. (registration fee 500, - R) the remainder of mash then the driving school for you request. The revenue stamps for all in all are 3000, R inclusive. Registration fee. The whole takes 6 weeks or also 1/2 year! Greeting Christina

Christina,
Are you talking about the DR or Germany? Don't think she needs a driving school.

Quaqualita, Check the archives, there was a recent discussion of this. good luck.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
HERE THE RIGHT ANSWER!

I just got today my driver license today. I am dominican, but i had US driver license. So, the procees will be the same for you.
just follow this steps and you will get you DL in 2 days. (maybe 1, if you move fast)
Step 1- You have to go to the foreign consulate from where you are (germany in your case) to get a letter that certify that your DL is authentic. this took me 2 hours and 20dlls (american consulate)
Step 2- with the letter from your consulate you have to go to Relaciones Exteriores (Canciller?a) just next to Hotel Santo Domingo in Ave. Independecia. they will legalize that the letter from your consulate is valid. the cost is 405.00 pesos and it takes 2 hours.
Step 3- With your c?dula, you have to go to the banco the Reservas and pay the taxes. i will recomended you to go to the bank located in the same building where you gonna get the DL. Direccion General de Transito Terrestre in Ave. Tiradentes close to the Estadio Quisqueya.
you have to pay taxes for:
Expediccion licencia de conducir = 70 pesos
Cambio de licencia extranjera to Dominicana = 20 pesos
Carnet de licencia de conducir y foto integrada = 100 pesos
Examen medico = 40 pesos
Tipo de sangre = 25 pesos
1 formulario = 50 pesos
1 formulario = 35 pesos
Step 4- with this formularios go to the door with the sign Examen Medico (this took me 1 min.)
Step 5- go to the door with the sign Cruz Roja. for the blood test. (5 mins. )
Step 6- go with all this documents to the Judicatura door. and they will sign these documents.
Step 7- with this document signed you are ready to get you pic. and DL.
Step 8- now you are ready to learn how to drive.
Welcome to the JUNGLE!

Christina

Jan 9, 2002
to el jefe

no I'm talking about the DR. but in the drivind shool they give the dom. licens if they see the germen one without any test . She only need to buy stamps and the papers will do the shool.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
John, el ?nico is on the right track. The requirements as published by the Ministry of Public Works are as follows:

1) A valid license from a foreign country.
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the D.R. stating that the foreign license is valid.
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs ("Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores").
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application, with residency visa or work permit OR C?dula
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test.

Last edited:

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
thanks John,El unico

:cool: John,El unico:cool:
Thanks John, El unico, Just followed your advice (to the letter) and exchanged my UK licence for a DR licence. It took me 4 hours, (maybe a new record?????). I even got to keep my original UK licence. Thanks for the post great information.:cool:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I wish to add one variable to Fabio Guzman's list of requirements. It was explained to me at the Direccion General de Transito Terrestre you can obtain a license without a cedula/residency as long as you hold a valid passport. The other requirements still stand. However, the catch is the Dominican license you obtain will be valid for only a year. When you have a cedula/residency the license you obtain will be valid for four years. Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And what is one to do if your country of origin has no diplomatic mission or any formal presence in the Dominican Republic. Thus far, I've not even found another South African here that actually stays here. How do I get my driver's licence authenticated?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chris, I do not know how you can get your license authenticated. I would recommend you communicate to the South African authorities back home of your situation. I believe in some cases they can authorize the diplomatic missions of other countries with facilities in the D.R. to act in their interest when they have no presence in this host country.

I suggest another option would be to ask the Direccion General de Transito Terrestre to waive the license authentication if you take a written and/or road test. Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Whaaat! written test? in Spanish? I will fail it at least 99 times I?m sure. And Road test - I cannot contemplate it without breaking out in sweat! Imagine .. No Way!

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
why would you want a Dominican Drivers Licence

Hey, most of you know the rules.......after 5yrs here Im a Kami Kaza Pilota..... usually give an out of date International Drivers Licence......have plenty more...... plus a valid one from country of origin .. wich I dont ever produce.....They always assume I am ere on vacation... I dont speak in spanish to them,... Stupid Tourista works every time........used to give dinero.... not any more... Take me to the Palace of Justice... usually they let you go once you mount the steps and want to speak to an English speaking etc. etc......My experience in the Capital anyway.... Mind you never messed with guys in green yet... but works for the others.....They cant usually fathon out an International Drivers Permit....My opinion anyway...Cheers M... disregard spelling.. Powers out.

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
Gilbert

If you are referring to driving record checks at the ?Direccion General de Transito Terrestre?, when applying for your DR license then, from my experience, they have no means of checking any countries driving records, insurance is also not an issue.

The only license checks I experienced was from an audit department who tried to decipher from my UK license what types of vehicles I was entitled to drive. Follow the John,El unico thread above it works.

If you have DR insurance and your driving license is not valid, you could have a big problem should you try to make a claim. That?s if your insurance company is still in business :laugh:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
To those of you who are from a country not physically having an Embassy/Consulate in the DR, go/call the American Embassy/Consulate and request which Embassy/Consulate handles problems for your Country. There is a cross reference database which AE can access and give you that information, if you get the right employee. The latter may prove to be a problem sometimes, but you can usually talk your way thru the barriers thrown up.
If that fails, go to an Internet Cafe, get on the Internet, excite the "GOOGLE" search engine, query for the State Department for your country, wade thru all their pages until you find the information required as to which Country Embassy in the DR represents your contry's interests in the DR. Go to/Call that institution and request the information desired.
Sounds like a lot to do, but will save a lot of uncalledfor frustration.

Texas Bill

Last edited: