Dominican Businessmen Don’t Attend American Chamber of Commerce Meeting in Santo Domingo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Few Dominican businessmen assisted the American Chamber of Commerce meeting that was suppose to start at noon at the El Embajador Hotel in Santo Domungo. Although the president of the CONEP alleged his lack of assistance was because it coincided with another event by the Jobs Ministry. The presence consisted of very few Dominican businessmen and representatives of Dominican companies as the presidents of some organizations such as ANJE.

Yesterday, Celso Marranzini suggested to CONEP and AIRD members to not go to the American Chamber of Commerce meeting. The reason? Protest against the US Embassy due to its recent declarations regarding deportations, considered to be exaggerations and lies to pressure the DR to stop them.

Usually, these annual meetings receive much attendance by Dominican businessmen and business organizations.

Last edited:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
If you want to to see businessesman..and woman, networking, stop by the hotel lobby bar and have a cocktail. That place is business elbow rubbing central. Great restaurants next door as well. There are more modern accommodations in town but none with the history of that place. .

Reactions: aarhus and JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yesterday Celso Marranzini suggested to CONEP and AIRD members to not go to the American Chamber of Commerce meeting. The reason? Protest against the US Embassy due to its recent declarations regarding deportations, considered to be exaggerations and lies to pressure the DR to stop them.
Any 🇩🇴 business is free to conduct business anywhere they would like in the world.
If they don't like how the 🇺🇲 chooses to conduct it's foreign they are free to sell into another market.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
USA is not recognizing the changes happening throughout Latin America
and beyond. It will eventually come back to bite them in the ass.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
USA is not recognizing the changes happening throughout Latin America
and beyond. It will eventually come back to bite them in the ass.
That's right ‼️
And China is ready and waiting with a checkbook and draconian contract terms.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
.... remember this if the people of DR could travel to the usa without papers there would be very few people left in DR
When you are seeking quality of work life in order to make money...yes.
But quality of life overall ❓
People with open minds and no longer restricted by geography to earn their income are choosing to be other places than 🇺🇲.

Reactions: johne and JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
r
don't bet against the USA .... remember this if the people of DR could travel to the usa without papers there would be very few people left in DR
They can and they are.
There is nothing stopping those
who wish to make the dream a reality
at this point in time.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
That is why I say...there is an entire world to live and do business in.
That way people can choose to live under the conditions that suit them best.
It's really not that simple. The majority of the world's population can't just go and live under conditions that suit them best.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It's really not that simple. The majority of the world's population can't just go and live under conditions that suit them best.
Oh really⁉️
I understand that you are not stating this as a fact and that it is your opinion only...but please share with me the reasoning behind your statement.
They can and they are.
There is nothing stopping those
who wish to make the dream a reality
at this point in time.
I know numerous Dominicans with residency or even citizenship in the USA that chose to live in the DR.
So why you choosing to take issue with me @Sol09

The majority of the world's population have not opened their mind to the possibilities that exist in todays world.

Let us take the population of a certain country that is very well off on average compared to the rest of the world.
Only 1/3 of that population has a valid passport.
Since that is where it all starts...it is like the lottery...if you don't play you can't win.

Every individual on earth can vote with their feet.
And the Dominican Businessmen in question DO NOT have to do business with the 🇺🇲.
In another thread they are arguing that CANE CUTTERS have choice and they choose to work under those conditions.
And yet entire companies or small business men don't have choice also❓

Here is the problem:
Everyone wants to win
Nobody wants to put the work into practice that it takes to win.

If I was a buyer for a 🇺🇲 business attending the conference and no one wanted to talk to me...
I would do what I do when I walk into a store and sales people pay no attention to me...
I walk and spend my money in another store that is smart enough to hire people attentive to every possible prospect.🤑

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I know numerous Dominicans with residency or even citizenship in the USA that chose to live in the DR.
Earlier today, the director of the National Theater who lived for many years in Boston for the ballet company, he was asked why he decided to return to the DR since he acheived such professional success abroad. His response? "This is my country." Not retirement, not that he was tired of the first world, not that he thinks Dominican cities are better designed than Americsn ones, not that he thinks the DR overall suffers less from litter thsn many areas in the USA or anything else other than he's Dominican and the DR is his country.
17:56

Here is another one. He lived in the USA for many years (Miami was his last place) with his Dominican wife (both professionals, he in finance and she in architecture/engineering, in fact she worked on some of the highest highrises in Miami) with successful businesses, etc. When it was time for them to have kids, they wanted them to be born and grow up in the DR, so they return to Santo Domingo in 2009. He is one of the founders of Altio, a venture capital company and in fact right now the largest investment firm in the DR.
1:00:53

So on and so forth. These people aren't thinking of moving back to the USA. Then again, they are from the DR, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Earlier today, the director of the National Theater who loved for many years in Boston for the ballet company, he was asked why he decided to return to the DR since he acheived such professional success abroad. His response? "This is my country." Not retirement, not that he was tired of the first world, not that he thinks Dominican cities are better designed than Americsn ones, not that he thinks the DR overall suffers less from litter thsn many areas in the USA or anything else other than he's Dominican and the DR is his country.
17:56

Here is another one. He lived in the USA for many years (Miami was his last place) with his Dominican wife (both professionals, he in finance and she in architecture/engineering, in fact she worked on some of the highest highrises in Miami) with successful businesses, etc. When it was time for them to have kids, they wanted them to be born and grow up in the DR, so they return to Santo Domingo in 2009. He is one of the founders of Altio, a venture capital company and in fact right now the largest investment firm in the DR.
1:00:53

So on and so forth. These people aren't thinking of moving back to the USA. Then again, they are from the DR, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Well, I'm American and not thinking of moving back.