Dominican Coffee in Canada

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
At the risk of being censored for being off topic, other than the fact that Sobeys and Loblaws are in the retail grocery industry, there is no link between the two.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Local coffee in Jarabacoa is 100 percent coffee from the DR. Cost anywhere from 185 to 260 pesos per lb. I can take a trip to Angostura ( near Jarabacoa but higher up) and get it cheaper right off the farm. Monte Alto is pure unmixed Dominican coffee direct from Jarabacoa área. There are several other small local coffee producer that produce and sell a good flavored coffee. you are paying 350 pesos per lb.
You are right. One can get real Dominican coffee, it is indeed real good. But the supermarket brands are 90% imported from Vietnam.
Same happens to the "dominican" rice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are right. One can get real Dominican coffee, it is indeed real good. But the supermarket brands are 90% imported from Vietnam.
Same happens to the "dominican" rice.

Just bought a new local coffee called Sorpresa from up in the mountain here in Jarabacoa. Excellent coffee.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just bought a new local coffee called Sorpresa from up in the mountain here in Jarabacoa. Excellent coffee.

Do you know if these Jaracoaba coffees (Sorpresa/Monte Alto) are for exportation ? Can you find them for sale in other areas ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do you know if these Jaracoaba coffees (Sorpresa/Monte Alto) are for exportation ? Can you find them for sale in other areas ?
None of the Ramirez brands are for export. However, they do some small batch private labelling for folks who do, but those brands come and go.

90% of the Ramirez coffee business is bulk green bean export.

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
You can buy it at Superstore/Loblaws in Western Canada. Not much more than Maxwell house or other coffees.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Talking about Dominican coffee abroad: I always bought Monte Alto when living in DR. Much to my surprise, in the small town in the east of Netherlands where I live there is a store that sells just that Dominican coffee, which I’m now buying regularly there. However in DR I had never seen a different roast of Monte Alto than just the one they’re selling in the supermarket. Here in the Netherlands they are selling espresso roast or filter roast. Is it just a sales technique or does Monte Alto actually have two roasts for exports? Does anyone know? Or maybe the beans are roasted here?