Dominican Drivers Licnese needed if I have citizenship?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
So I never bothered to get a Dominican driver's license. I know you are not supposed to drive on a foreign license for more than 30 days after entering the country but that is because your tourist card expired and you are no longer in the country legally. But in my case, I have already gotten full citizenship so I am always in the country legally no matter how many days it's been since my last entry. So is my foreign license still good for only 30 days or is it good indefinitely (until it expires)?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans need a licence (theoretically) and so do you. for that you need a cedula, no one cares about your dominican passport. i presume that you do have a dominan cedula too, right?
you take that and go to banreservas and say you want to pay taxes for the license. then with taxes and cedula you go to oficina de transporte in POP, by the stadium. you will get a provisional license.
i do not know if you can try to get a normal license straight away because when i did that there was a period of 45 days or so when you are supposed to learn to drive ;) :)
when time comes you go to oficina de transporte again, take theory test (very easy, 10 questions, gotta get 7 right to pass). they check your sight (also very easy, you sit in the small room and wait your turn listening to other folks read the same line over and over again), they ask your blood group. then there is practice that you can skip by paying the instructor few hundred pesos. you get the license the same day.

you acn also exchange your whatever license for a dominican one but i do not know the process for that one since my dominicn license is the only one i ever had...

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Actually, I never got a Dominican passport either. I have a cedula and I'm considered a Dominican citizen now. I completed that a while back.

I have a valid U.S. license. You can only drive here "legally" with a foreign license for 30 days but that is supposedly because your tourist card would expire and you would not be in the country legally. That part doesn't apply to me since I'm a citizen so I'm wondering if my foreign license would still be good.

In reality, I never had a cop at any checkpoint ask me for my passport to check the stamp to see how long I'd been here anyway. Before I had my citizenship I only carried a copy of the photo page of my passport and they were happy with that. Now I don't even carry that, I just carry my cedula and they have always been happy with that and my U.S. license.

But that is only how it has worked so far. I'm wondering if a cop ever wanted to push it and be a stickler for the law on one unlucky day for me if they would say that since I have been here more than 30 days I can't be using my U.S. license.

You can't exchange the U.S. licenses for Dominican like you can with some European ones. I just hate doing the process to get one if I really don't need it becuase it pretty much adds up to the good part of the day away from work.

So in a nutshell I guess I'm wondering if the foreign license for 30 day rule is really only because of the tourist card expiring or if that is a hard rule no matter what the situation is. I'm assuming I need to get the Dominican license but I'm hoping I don't. I always dread doing anything government related as it just eats up too much time.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Go get a Dominican license... if you ever have the bad luck of an accident and you show your cedula & your US license you could end up in a big pile of s*** !!. The license process is easy, do your self a favor.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
So I never bothered to get a Dominican driver's license. I know you are not supposed to drive on a foreign license for more than 30 days after entering the country but that is because your tourist card expired and you are no longer in the country legally. But in my case, I have already gotten full citizenship so I am always in the country legally no matter how many days it's been since my last entry. So is my foreign license still good for only 30 days or is it good indefinitely (until it expires)?
I am pretty much in the same situation.I also have a US licence but only temp residence for now.My problem is i dont speak spanish so i wouldnt have a clue how to answer the questions.is there anyone there to translate or does someone know of anyone that will go with to help with that.I like the idea of paying off the instructor but does that apply to them all?..I dont want to be arrested for bribary !I do need to get mine too so any help would be good

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i still do not understand your doubts. regardless of whether you are a citizen or not you need a valid dominican driving license to drive here legally. full stop. as you will need your cedula to get it it is great that you already have that document.

the test is very easy, i passed (7 out of 10) with almost no spanish so mangos dude does not have to worry.

the whole process is very fast and easy. the license is issued within minutes, on the spot.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
What seems to be most important here - so I've heard - is that if you don't have a Dominican license and you get in an accident, your insurance coverage does not cover you after the 30 days. Which is why most people get dominican licenses to protect themselves.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
DR drivers license renewal

FYI - if your renewing your driving license in Santo Domingo do yourself a favor and pay your impuestos (830 rd$) at any Ban Reservas other than the branch next to DGTT.

Went this morning, waited 50 + mins at the bank next door to pay for the renewal and then spent less than 10 minutes start to finish to get my new license.

casa-hombre

Jan 16, 2012
mobile office?

Yes, you need to get a DR license.

I was told there is a mobile office that comes around. I'm in LT. Does anyone know the schedule or if it's posted online?
And do I need to get a temporary license first?
Thanks!

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Go get a Dominican license... if you ever have the bad luck of an accident and you show your cedula & your US license you could end up in a big pile of s*** !!.

Right.. You can bribe the police but you can't bribe the insurance company.