Dominican Driving Habits Changing (Santiago)

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Having visited and later long and/or short term living in the DR since 1974 I believe that the driving manner here has improved greatly at least in Santiago. The increasing use of turn signals, ceding the right of way, and general awareness that actions have consequences are noticable. Route taxis are the exception to the improvement. For those who live in the relatively newly developed areas of Puerto Plasta, Sosua, Bavaro. etc. please keep in mind that those areas have attracted hordes of outsiders from around the country who tend to not drive or act well because of their lack of ties and therefore social accountability. Most drivers in Santo Domingo do not live there. I believe that the driving habits of the DR and Puerto Rico as well were formed by the early immigrants to New York where an aggresive "me first" attitude prevailed. These immigrants who in many cases were the first person in their family who drove a car brought home what they percieved as not only the correct way to drive but also how to act.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am in POP. i have not seen much change in the 5 years i am here, save for more bloody motors. if they all had but one helmet free head... i would feel so tempted to wring the neck...
carros publicos are always pain in the a** because one more dent of their rotten toyotas make no difference :)
on the other hand i do not worry about a dent in my little honda either ;)

ForeverOne

Apr 23, 2008
Women Driver!

OMG! Some male driver's are horrible! They put the entire male category to shame!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I ride/drive most of the DR. I have seen some areas change, Santiago mainly, here in Jarabacoa, some moderation in Samana and Nagua. Not POP or Santo Domingo.

Although the streets are vastly improved in POP and more moto drivers are wearing helmets and hi-vis vests (moto conchos), the area also suffers from foreigners who screw the informal traffic flow up with their "civilized" driving or "look-at-me-I'm-in-the-Third-World-driving-drunk" shenanigans.

SDQ is hopeless: 4000 sq.km. of vehicles trying to occupy 3000 sq.km. of roads. Seriously.

Barahona, Bani and Azua haven't changed one bit.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I am really worried about driving there

So can someone please open a drivers ed school and teach us how to drive like IDIOTS
UNDEFENSIVE DRIVING comes to mind
Manu

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
y. I believe that the driving habits of the DR and Puerto Rico as well were formed by the early immigrants to New York where an aggresive "me first" attitude prevailed. These immigrants who in many cases were the first person in their family who drove a car brought home what they percieved as not only the correct way to drive but also how to act.

And here I figured that it was because they did not have bullfighting.

Hey I am a NY City driver and we may be agressive there but I have NEVER seen drivers make a right hand turn from the left lane, pass from the right, nor agressively block the intersections the way they do here, nor show such complete disregard for pedestrians... (I have been almost clipped by more than one SUV here... well, sure, they have more money than me, right?)

I agree that most are first generation drivers.

and that we NYers can be a nasty and agressive bunch

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
but I have NEVER seen drivers make a right hand turn from the left lane, pass from the right, nor agressively block the intersections the way they do here, nor show such complete disregard for pedestrians...
When you understand that's just how things "are" and go with the flow you become more immune from surprises when those things happen.

There is a clear pattern to the traffic here; one must just understand what it is and deal with it.

Be the ball, Danny...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvZ9LPzTURg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvZ9LPzTURg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not see a reason to drive like a nutcase in DR just because other people do it. i drive slowly (ok, fairly slowly :) ) and carefully and do not do silly things unless i have to. or there is opportunity ;) i always signal when i make a turn in a place i'm not supposed to :)