Dominican Empanadas de Yuca

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Does anybody know where to get good pasteles like puerto ricans make, or better yet, yuka pasteles like puerto ricans make. Every pastele i have found in DR Sucks:/

I'll definitely be on the look for yuka empanadad now. Thanks:)

Go to San Pedro and visit Amable pasteles. Excellent pasteles and they have both; plantains and yuca.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never had a great empanada in the DR. The very best I have had was just OK. Most of the time they are almost empty-nadas, which is what I call them, and you will think of that as you eat the next local one!.

(Best ever was on Margarita Island - but I never said that.. Nothing even remotely close to that here. And yes, those ones form Jamaica do look so similar. Baked, fried, whatever.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have never had a great empanada in the DR. The very best I have had was just OK. Most of the time they are almost empty-nadas, which is what I call them, and you will think of that as you eat the next local one!.

(Best ever was on Margarita Island - but I never said that.. Nothing even remotely close to that here. And yes, those ones form Jamaica do look so similar. Baked, fried, whatever.)

the only great empanada i have ever had in the DR is my own Jamaican patty. baked, not fried. well seasoned beef, chicken, pizza, veggie. the trick is the crust, so i can understand why some people might like the yuca versions, because they sound yummy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
even the yuca one would be better baked....
easier on the heart too !!

absolutely. the problem is that the fried empanadas here are fried in big vats of oil. the quality of the meat used in the empanadas is horrible, and after frying a few dozen empanadas, the oil goes off in a big way. do not expect them to throw it away...oil costs money. so, tomorrow you are getting an empanada fried in yesterday's oil.

no thanks..i'll pass.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
I always look for monumental empanadas. They usually are more then just spoonful whatever is suppose to be inside. The cream of chicken is my favorite.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I’ve had some good Yuca empanadas and Quipes (sp?) from a roadside guy on the “highway” as it passes through Gasper Hernandez. I forget the name (not a “chain” cart), but he’s usually on the left (ocean) side of the main road right in the center of town.

Now the absolute best empanadas I’ve ever had were in the south of Chile. I believe the crust pastry was made with a cornmeal mixture? Many different fillings. All I tried were delicious. And they were HUGE! And baked in an outdoor clay oven. (My mouth is watering right now just thinking about them.).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve had some good Yuca empanadas and Quipes (sp?) from a roadside guy on the “highway” as it passes through Gasper Hernandez. I forget the name (not a “chain” cart), but he’s usually on the left (ocean) side of the main road right in the center of town.

Now the absolute best empanadas I’ve ever had were in the south of Chile. I believe the crust pastry was made with a cornmeal mixture? Many different fillings. All I tried were delicious. And they were HUGE! And baked in an outdoor clay oven. (My mouth is watering right now just thinking about them.).

Now that so many Venezuelans are living in DR, their empanadas are often for sale. They were so good that I asked what she used for the dough, and you’re right, corn meal. Delicious and cheap (25 pesos), but the yuca empanadas are better. I’m pretty sure we pay 60 pesos each, choice of lambi, shrimp or chicken filling

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Empanadas de yuca are also called cativías. The crab and lambí ones in Mesón de Bari in Santo Domingo are excellent.

Here's a video recipe from Dominican Cooking
[video=youtube;3lTlJ9Ms7-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=3lTlJ9Ms7-M[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes they are Chiri

I mentioned 'my restaurant' in ZC but deliberately left out the name....

Secret's out now !!!

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Haven't tried the empanadas in any restaurant and doubt will ever dare to try.

Mom and Pops all the way for me with them. I believe the taste secret is on the masa and the seasoning, of course, that comes from generations after generations which restaurants can't mirror.

The dona I got the empanadas from in Higuey, comes from a family which know nothing else, this is all they've done for years.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I probably shouldn't mention this, but there is a guy who sells excellent Yuca empanadas in front of the entrance to CCN, next door to Jumbo Luperon.

I know of a couple of others, but can't tell you the name of the streets.

I used to be a big fried pastries guy for years, now the only thing I eat are the yuca empanadas when I can find them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I probably shouldn't mention this, but there is a guy who sells excellent Yuca empanadas in front of the entrance to CCN, next door to Jumbo Luperon.

I know of a couple of others, but can't tell you the name of the streets.

I used to be a big fried pastries guy for years, now the only thing I eat are the yuca empanadas when I can find them.

Now that you live in San Cristobal, take a ride one weekend to Playa Palenque. Go down to the far end on the right, as you face the water, where there are a lot of small places on the beach. They call that area Cocolandia. All the empanadas there are yuca. Our favorite place is Elidania’s for food. They have the yuca empanadas. If you don’t want food, only empanadas, look for a free standing booth, Cheo’s Empanadas. Excellent. He’s the son of one of the restaurant owners. They had a falling out and he opened on his own.