Dominican Fashion, Style, Do's and Do Not's - Whats your opinion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
fashion is just what the powers that be decide that everyone should want.....its called marketing to people who dont have time to think for themselves

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Do:

for women-wear big giant sunglasses, knock off Chanel watches, gaudy jewelry, underwear under your swimsuit at the beach, "luxurious" handbag with nothing in it, solely for appearances and too much makeup.

for men-wear loafers, khaki pants and a pastel colored polo shirt. Or a suit with a white shirt and tie(with complementary brown shoes, no matter what color the suit).

If you re a man, hopefully your suit matches but frequently it doesnt. So you wind up with a oversized blazer worn with dress pants, one of the two being wrinkled, with a light colored shirt, so when the camera picks up your image you look like a walking box of Neapolitan ice cream.

And jeans. Jeans for all. Weird Jeans with no pockets. Weird Jeans with belt loops over the ass. Weird jeans with custom rips in them. Weird skinny leg jeans. But only blue jeans, never black jeans. Not stonewash, acidwash or treated, those make you look poor. Only dark blue jeans.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Meh, I don't follow fashion trends, I wear whatever, my favorite pair of sneakers cost me 15 dollars, every time I walk into PUCMM everyone looks exactly the same, 5 o'clock shadow, a cap, a tight button up, and skinnyish jeans, I just don't get it, I also don't get paying 150 dollars for one shirt.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I once visited the INTEC campus and the students were much more like the students I remember - scruffy in a fashion statement sort of way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tomorrow I take pictures

Tomorrow I wll try and takes some pictures with the trusty BB...We'll see how they come out.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
traditional attire

Dominican_gallery__550x395.jpg

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
From what I've seen over the last 20 yrs or so, I feel Dominicans are much more fashion conscious than the average person in the U.S. I've been on shopping trips with Dominicans in the U.S. and Europe... and watched, waited as they get ready to go out at night. Quite a ritual. Looking good is important.

Dominican men seem to go with classic attire in their choice of formal or semi casual dress. Dominican women are more willing to take a chance on a color choice or the drape of a dress. Dominicans are more creative and seem to have the ability to take an item of clothing and accessorize to make it something special. While buying a branded item may be important, it seems to be chosen more for it's look, than for the logo.

I think that clothing is also worn with a confidence seldom found in North America. The "I look good and I know it" attitude is very prevalent.

The upper middle class & above Dominican outshines their American counterpart 9 times out of 10 when it comes to fashion. The less affluent are also able to do some amazing things with much less expensive clothing.

And, well, then there's just the brown trash (as opposed to white trash/trailer trash in the U.S.). Tacky, tawdry, and tasteless no matter the country.

Please. Don't make me laugh. The Dominican elites and the "wannabes" (middle class) get their fashion cues from Europe and the US......just like in every other Latin American country. Perhaps more from Europe since the elite are so busy trying to emulate the Spaniards. God knows the quality of clothes just cannot compare, despite prices being higher for name brand stuff.

The difference, at least in the US, is that the fashion trend for the upper class and wealthy is to "dress down", even though the "crappy" and worn looking jeans they have on cost US$200 plus. In any event, it is pretty much standard for guys to wear a pressed collared shirt, jeans, and dark shoes (a must) to the club in most major cities. The only difference I noted in the pictures was that the girls were slightly more dressed up than your average American girl. But again, depending on the city and state it really depends.

Reactions: corsair74

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I believe the Dominicans dress very badly for the climate here but much of it is dictated by lack of money so there is a good excuse .
I am told that I dress well by my friends and I feel very comfortable but am fortunate that I can afford it .I live in Zona Colonial and in the day time when shopping in the Ave Mella or Ave Duarte zones I wear long shorts that stop at the calf , I wear a short sleeve shirt but seldom a polo which I think are mainly for sports and I wear solid sandals. At night , if I am eating at a Zona Colonial or Gazcue restaurant or home I wear a long sleeve shirt and dark linen or light cotton trousers with black shoes.
There are occasions mainly in the day or if I go to the pictures that I will wear khaki trousers with a lighter colour shirt but I think the lighter colour clothes are better suited in resorts or coastal towns .
Apart from my long shorts,I believe my dress code is typical of Dominicans who live or inhabit the Zona Colonial area and probably those people living in the Piantini Lincoln , Churchill areas

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my impression of PUCMM students:
girls, s**tloads of makeup. shame, really, as many seem to be naturally pretty. i will never understand this need to slap as much paint on as humanly possible :)
boys, i cannot say. they all seemed to look the same to me.

i have not seen anyone scruffy or grunge :) come to think of it i cannot remember ever seeing a dominican heavy metal fan (AC/DC shirt, long hair, martens and so on) nor a punk (mohawk hair, red jeans, sex pistols style). no skinheads either but it may be that white power is not very popular here :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Many years ago I made a dreadful dressing error at the Teatro National by not wearing a jacket there although it was only a jazz concert ..It surprised me when you see what peole now wear to Covent Garden .

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Many years ago I made a dreadful dressing error at the Teatro National by not wearing a jacket there although it was only a jazz concert ..It surprised me when you see what peole now wear to Covent Garden .

Only a Jazz concert!!??
Oi!
Steady on!!!!

When I played Covent Garden I wore a tux or a Zoot Suit depending on the function.
When I played Ronnie Scott's I wore a tux.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Only a Jazz concert!!??
Oi!
Steady on!!!!

When I played Covent Garden I wore a tux or a Zoot Suit depending on the function.
When I played Ronnie Scott's I wore a tux.

Hahahaha! A tuxedo at a jazz concert. Hahaha! Whats next? Eating a candy bar with a knife and fork? Bowling in ballet shoes? An ocean going cruise ship barbecue?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
so far you's have been reasonably safe from
the pants down to the ankle style
my son tried that style ... until we were gouin up an escalator in the subway
told him that's what you look like from behind...he
never did it again :)

how many of us look back and say
"did i really dress like that when i was younger"

we thought we were so cool :)....lol

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hahahaha! A tuxedo at a jazz concert. Hahaha! Whats next? Eating a candy bar with a knife and fork? Bowling in ballet shoes? An ocean going cruise ship barbecue?

whats wrong with that? I always eat my snickers bar with fork and knife.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
my impression of PUCMM students:
girls, s**tloads of makeup. shame, really, as many seem to be naturally pretty. i will never understand this need to slap as much paint on as humanly possible :)
boys, i cannot say. they all seemed to look the same to me.

i have not seen anyone scruffy or grunge :) come to think of it i cannot remember ever seeing a dominican heavy metal fan (AC/DC shirt, long hair, martens and so on) nor a punk (mohawk hair, red jeans, sex pistols style). no skinheads either but it may be that white power is not very popular here :)

you must be talking about puerto plata PUCMM because, its totally different in santiago. You guys want to see knockout models type girls with natural beauty dripping from them, then come to pucmm in santiago.
AZB

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
you must be talking about puerto plata PUCMM because, its totally different in santiago. You guys want to see knockout models type girls with natural beauty dripping from them, then come to pucmm in santiago.
AZB

AZB, the women are definitely more attractive in Santiago than in Santo Domingo but you always seem to embellish the beauty of PUCMM girls in Santiago. I took classes there for one summer. They're not that hot man. You can also get natural beauty and exotic mixes in other parts of the DR........better yet go to Brazil. Buenos Aires also has university girls that make PUCMM chicks look like they're in the little leagues in regards to style, fashion, and class. I'm sorry I just enjoy bursting your bubble and that of the stuck up girls in PUCMM that think they're so hot and classy...when in reality they are just pretentious girls lucky enough to live in the bubble that is Santiago.

Hell, you can find just as many hot girls, if not better given the variety, in Los Angeles at USC or UCLA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.