Dominican Flag Controversy

H

Harleysrock

How can they take themselves seriously with such corruption and pretending to be so religious? It is quite amusing.

C

Cdn_Gringo

... part of the illusion put forward to lend credence and legitimacy to a Govt. that might otherwise have difficulty justifying some of its actions. Tight integration with a religion makes a Govt an agent of that religion creating a conflict of interest with the democratic principle of being a proxied representative of and for the population.

A

AlterEgo

Today’s DR1 news:

Don't change the flag
Foreign Relations Minister Miguel Vargas called on all government offices, embassies and consulates to ensure they comply with Article 31 on the Constitution and Law 210-19 on the use of patriotic symbols. He said that he was totally in disagreement with the use of the flag without the national shield in the center. Vargas guaranteed that all the embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions overseas would use the flag correctly.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...mbolos-patrios

N

nas

Dominican here ..... Those that want the flag changed better tread lightly! Many in the military are not happy about this , including me.

I've been ignorant about what's been going on in DR news, as of late. Who the h#ll is pushing this? Our flag should be sacred. Whomever is pushing for this, should either be shot! or hung by the balls; No one should be allowed to deface the flag.

M

malko

How can they take themselves seriously with such corruption and pretending to be so religious? It is quite amusing.

Well often the most "stick it in your face" types like the evangelists, to name but 1 group, are the ones who follow the least the principles of their said faith...

C

CristoRey

No one should be allowed to deface the flag.

The PLD does what they want, when they want, to a populace who unfortunately seem
to have zero b*lls and often behave like a herd of malnourished sheep.

Its the same reason "oh, but my country is so poor".... no it aint. Its just being
completely mismanaged by a gang of greedy thugs and you and your fellow compatriots
don't have enough courage to do anything about it. YES, THE TRUTH HURTS!

D

drstock

A young lady of my acquaintance here claimed to be religious. I asked if she knew the ten commandments and she proudly recited them. "How come you break almost every one of them every day?" I asked.

A

AlterEgo

This thread is about the Dominican flag, NOT religion. For those who may have forgotten, discussions and posts about religion and race are not permitted in the general/regular forums. Take that to Off Topic threads.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
This is a most subjective yet passionate topic.
Taking the Bible out of the flag is to take away the soul of the people..... if you do not like the ''Bible'' think of it as the constitution...whats the big deal?
Mt Wife and Children are Dominican and very proud of the Dominican Flag.
Separating Religion from State in any country is also exceedingly subjective; it is an impossible ideology and, will never happen.
You see, as imperfect as we are as humans we are sure to be the only hypocrites on earth.
Take away the bible from the flag, take Religion from the Governance and I shall still be a man of 'Faith'.

It is the faith of the human race that keeps it all together not Religion or Governments.... worth thinking about.
NO,I am not a Religious man... except for funerals.

Religion and Governance are synonymous with ''Control and Greed''.......
Leave the flag alone...... its not hurting anyone.
And, the people love it !!

Only my two pesos worth!
Russell

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
The PLD does what they want, when they want, to a populace who unfortunately seem
to have zero b*lls and often behave like a herd of malnourished sheep.

Its the same reason "oh, but my country is so poor".... no it aint. Its just being
completely mismanaged by a gang of greedy thugs and you and your fellow compatriots
don't have enough courage to do anything about it. YES, THE TRUTH HURTS!

I still stand by what I said; no one should be allowed to deface the flag.
I grew up in a period when moral and civic were taught at school; everyone had to stop if the national anthem started playing and the flag was being raised. This is how Patriotic believes are rooted in people. This is not something that dawns on you when you become an adult. You either learned it and assimilated it or you didn’t.

I’ll take it a bit further. Those instances when Haitians were seen tearing and burning the DR flag, they would have been dealt properly (they should have been shot) during Balaguer’s reign.
Today, our so call leaders don’t give a fkuc. They just want to steal and enrich themselves.

Political parties and their scoundrels always do whatever the f&ck they want.
The populace does not dictate what happens in government. This is true in DR and in your mother land.
I would only concede that Politicians in DR do corruption blatantly.
Therefore, please spare Dominicans with your notion that corruption in government is foreign to you. If this is what you think, you might have ample lacunas to overcome.

No, I am not hurt by the DR reality. I’ve already conceded that politicians are a bunch of greedy thugs, scoundrels and rats. They are sub humans!

Dominicans have no courage? What exactly do you want the masses to do, take arms?
You need to know more about Dominicans than what you think you know.
Trujillo and Balaguer got rid of a lot of young leaders whom they thought to be a threat to their regimes.
The non-actions and disconnect of a lot of Dominicans is a result of this.
Patriotic leaders are needed to make change, right?

DR is definitely not a rich country, but Politicians do squander what little it has.
Politicians’ wealth derives mainly from those IMF loans, drugs and political favors. The country is in debt as a consequence.

I find it pretentious and arrogant for a person to go to a foreign land and expect the natives to do certain things or behave in a certain way. How could the natives not see what I see? Well, the natives see it and live it. But of course, I’ll grant you that you have the right to opine. Although it would be nice to hear constructive criticism and solutions to what you think the problem are, instead of just simply criticize.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I still stand by what I said; no one should be allowed to deface the flag.
I grew up in a period when moral and civic were taught at school; everyone had to stop if the national anthem started playing and the flag was being raised. This is how Patriotic believes are rooted in people. This is not something that dawns on you when you become an adult. You either learned it and assimilated it or you didn’t.

I’ll take it a bit further. Those instances when Haitians were seen tearing and burning the DR flag, they would have been dealt properly (they should have been shot) during Balaguer’s reign.
Today, our so call leaders don’t give a fkuc. They just want to steal and enrich themselves.

Political parties and their scoundrels always do whatever the f&ck they want.
The populace does not dictate what happens in government. This is true in DR and in your mother land.
I would only concede that Politicians in DR do corruption blatantly.
Therefore, please spare Dominicans with your notion that corruption in government is foreign to you. If this is what you think, you might have ample lacunas to overcome.

No, I am not hurt by the DR reality. I’ve already conceded that politicians are a bunch of greedy thugs, scoundrels and rats. They are sub humans!

Dominicans have no courage? What exactly do you want the masses to do, take arms?
You need to know more about Dominicans than what you think you know.
Trujillo and Balaguer got rid of a lot of young leaders whom they thought to be a threat to their regimes.
The non-actions and disconnect of a lot of Dominicans is a result of this.
Patriotic leaders are needed to make change, right?

DR is definitely not a rich country, but Politicians do squander what little it has.
Politicians’ wealth derives mainly from those IMF loans, drugs and political favors. The country is in debt as a consequence.

I find it pretentious and arrogant for a person to go to a foreign land and expect the natives to do certain things or behave in a certain way. How could the natives not see what I see? Well, the natives see it and live it. But of course, I’ll grant you that you have the right to opine. Although it would be nice to hear constructive criticism and solutions to what you think the problem are, instead of just simply criticize.

Oops, struck a nerve. My bad.
This country is not poor. Its this way of submissive thinking which has lead to
the current state of affairs. Add to this the "me first at any cost" attitude which
is prevalent throughout Dominican culture (along with being clever) and its a real
recipe for disaster.

Dominican's in general behave like peacocks. They'll stick out their chest and wave
their feathers but rarely make good on threats or promises and are therefor reluctant
to take action. Reactive not proactive is the current state of affairs, like it or not.
Sorry to burn ya with the truth but I call it like I see it. Been living here for almost 8 years
so I know a little about the place. You are welcome to try changing my mind but might I add...
the odds are clearly stacked against you.

Last edited:

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
the current state of affairs. Add to this the "me first at any cost" attitude which
is prevalent throughout Dominican culture (along with being clever) and its a real
recipe for disaster.

Dominican's in general behave like peacocks. They'll stick out their chest and wave
their feathers but rarely make good on threats or promises and are therefor reluctant
to take action. Reactive not proactive is the current state of affairs, like it or not.
Sorry to burn ya with the truth but I call it like I see it. Been living here for almost 8 years
so I know a little about the place. You are welcome to try changing my mind but might I add...

Neither a nerve has been struck nor I’ve been burned by your so-called truth!
I was merely putting some context into your misinformed Dominican generalizations.

In my life, you are not even a speck of anything. What makes you think I want to change your skewed viewpoints; not I. As I uttered before, you are entitled to your opinions.

Just so you know, having a submissive way of thinking and a “me first at any cost” attitude is contradictory. Please make up your mind. Are we go-getters or subservient? I asked, but I think I could anticipate what your answer would be, since you see Dominicans through the prism of your arrogance.

Some people tend to belittle others because in a kingdom of blind people, a one eye man would by default be the king.

Two things:
Make acquaintances with Dominicans from other social classes.
Enjoy your stay. May the DR change its way to accommodate you better.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Misinformed? Indeed, maybe if ya living under a rock.
My viewpoints are based solely upon my 8 years of living
here between Nagua, Sosua, Santo Domingo and Santiago.
Are most Dominicans subservient? When it comes to who they
elect to rape and pillage this beautiful country? Yep.

Are they real go-getters? Sure as hell are. One need look no further
than Nueva York to know this. And that "me first attitude" is indeed
prevalent throughout Dominican society. No? When was the last time
you stood in a line to buy something or used some form of public transportation
be it a subway, bus or flight to the US?

I am not here to belittle anyone nor am I here to ask people
to change their behavior but I will continue to call it as I see it.

Will say, it would be a real shame to see your PLD change the flag while
others stand around with their chest stuck out while doing absolutely nothing about it.

Besides, I hear that some NGOs who operate down here are working with
certain "groups" who view the Dominican flag as "oppressive" and are therefor
looking to get rid of the current one once and for all. Heaven forbid the IMF, IDB
or UN catch wind of their intentions and start dangling all of those tasty carrot$
in front of your duly elected politicians... game over.

Last edited:

garner

Mar 14, 2019
I was reading about this issue too the other day. Really interesting to find what other people think

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Just saw a Facebook post of the new DR flag flying at La Sirena. No centrepiece. Some people posted they would boycott the supermercado until they bring back the old flag. We went through the same political machinations in Canada years ago when the government decided to replace the old British colours flag with a new one. They started a national contest for a new flag design. After many entries and much debate we got our new flag.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
recipe for disaster.

...Have to say, things that you say are true...Just look at the way they drive?...threats and promises, yes...most will just run away