Dominican Foods

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
My body is still willin' - kind of like Linda Rondstadt in her song Willin' (just not for weed, whites and wine in combo)

But I really enjoy Sambal Oelek, a chili paste originally from Asia - available most places and although I don't know its Scoville rating, it has plenty of kick.

Plenty of recipes online for making your own Sambal Oelek and you can use your variety of chili peppers to make it as hot as you want
Very mild stuff. It's good but not really that hot.

The only way is to grow my own.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I make my own hot sauce. Buy red ( green if red isn't available) chili peppers at.the Sunday Market at Barrio Chino. Around 30pesos a pound. Cook a little. Blender.them. Add vinegar, salt,water and sometimes garlic. Can make it as hot or mild as.you wish.

Do they have reapers?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This dish is yet another reason to dread Easter here.
I'm anxiously awaiting for you to make a positive comment about anything. LOL

My neighbor has a great recipe and always gives me a big bottle. Have to drink it quickly in case it goes bad after a while.

Reactions: Lucifer

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This dish is yet another reason to dread Easter here.

Is there ANYTHING you like about DR?

I happen to like habichuelas con dulce, of course some make it better than others. It’s also different tasting warm or cold. One of Mr AE’s aunts was the undisputed champion, we made sure to stop there at least once each cuaresma to enjoy it.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Great thread.

I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?

Mine would probably have to be rice and beans and pollack or roasted eggplant, fried green plantains and a green salad. Not only delicious but healthy too.
#3, supersized

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Is there ANYTHING you like about DR?

I happen to like habichuelas con dulce, of course some make it better than others. It’s also different tasting warm or cold. One of Mr AE’s aunts was the undisputed champion, we made sure to stop there at least once each cuaresma to enjoy it.
I love me some habichuelas con dulce.

Clara's research on all things comida dominincana should be required reading for all prospective retirees wanting to move to the D.R.