Dominican Foods

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
It is the acidic lemon or lime juice that keeps the avacado from turning brown. At least two tablespoons (or to taste) worth for a decent amount o guac is all you need. mix in well. Bottled or fresh, both work as long as the bottled is real fruit juice. Squeezing a couple of fresh limes is cheaper.
Everything is correct. The acid protects against product oxidation. There is no need to pour in any water, and the acidity of the lemon gives guacamole a special piquancy. Although then it cannot be eaten by those who have an allegria for citrus fruits. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not for nothing, but you guys are talking like guacamole lasts more than a few minutes once it's made.

I've never had any that lasted even an hour. :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Mine gets a little gooey if left in the fridge for a few days. But it is still green due to the lime juice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It works when you have half an avocado..... and doesn't go bad

We do it w/ guacamole too.... and it seems to extend the life

Look up that Dominican tea they make for stomachs
I bet the report on it says 'Old Wive's Tale' - WRONG.... works like a charm

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
Not for nothing, but you guys are talking like guacamole lasts more than a few minutes once it's made.

I've never had any that lasted even an hour. :)

Someone can cook guacamole when they are waiting for guests. And sometimes during conversations, the guacamole on the table has time to darken and becomes unappetizing. So, a situational moment.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How about a nice Dominican Rum Eggnog recipe?

I love this stuff. A great typical recipe. The only problem for me is the calories and the sugar content. 54 gr. of sugar. HELLO!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Epicurious actually has a recipe for Dominican Chimi Burgers.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
How many here uses the “ají picante”, that grows everywhere, not to confuse with “ají gustoso”, which you use in the habichuelas?
I use it all the time, as we eat sambal with every meal.
Get some ají picante, garlic, onion, tomatoe. Slize it. Fry it. Add Sal.
Then you grind it in a mixer or licuadora.
Fry it again.
Ready your Indonesian sambal. You can make small portions and freeze it. Once out you keep it in te fridge for five days.
Way better than Tabasco and all the other chemical rubbish.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
How many here uses the “ají picante”, that grows everywhere, not to confuse with “ají gustoso”, which you use in the habichuelas?
I grow both "ají pecante" and "ají gustoso" and just picked up a pound (more or less mixed) off the farm two days ago.
You are dead on point about the usage and quality.
Especially when it comes hand picked, fresh and straight out the campo.
To
EAST SIDE ‼️

Reactions: Fulano2

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Epicurious actually has a recipe for Dominican Chimi Burgers.

When I first went to the DR in the late 80's, chimichurris was different then they are currently. They were a sausage that was cut in half and cooked on the grill, pan de aqua, grated cabbage, green tomatoes and salsa which was like mayo I think. When I returned in the late 90's, they had changed.

This also happened with the papayas. There used to be these different shape and sizes with yellow inside. The Dona where I lived used to lightly cut the outside and let them sit for a few days to sweeten. It was kind of hit or miss to get a good one and since they were mostly used in batidas, the sugar took care of any less or not sweet papayas. When I returned 8 years later, you can only find the smaller, sweeter, more uniform and red in the middle papayas.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
#1 for me

E4BC19BF-9EE1-4470-A049-DDEBFDBCF89F.jpeg

• Haha

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think there are a number of factors to consider:
1.Male or female.
2. Mustache or no.
3. At home, in the street, who are you with.
4. What filling? Dry, sloppy, cheesy?
5. How hungry are you"?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think there are a number of factors to consider:
1.Male or female.
2. Mustache or no.
3. At home, in the street, who are you with.
4. What filling? Dry, sloppy, cheesy?
5. How hungry are you"?
Good point. For me it’s a small starting corner bite, in case the filling is hot (common at the beach when made to order), plus nothing falls out.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I grow both "ají pecante" and "ají gustoso" and just picked up a pound (more or less mixed) off the farm two days ago.
You are dead on point about the usage and quality.
Especially when it comes hand picked, fresh and straight out the campo.
To
EAST SIDE ‼️
I don’t know it’s in time but be careful with what you touch after picking and handling the ají picante. If “ya feel me”.