Dominican Football (Soccer) Season 2020

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Not that anyone in the DR cares but ...Dominican Football ( ....soccer ) season started on Friday....⚽

Soccer ...from any country...is huge in the our household...seeing that miesposa is half Brazilian ...and she grew up with a soccer coach father ...who , by the way , wants to come to the DR to see a few of the teams ...” live” ...COVID or no COVID.....:cautious:

If he turns up ...no prizes for guessing who will be paying for the tickets.... and doing the driving to the stadiums etc :rolleyes:

Anyone else following Dominican soccer ...with tips on the dos and the don’ts for the live games at the stadiums ...are they even allowing fans at the stadiums now ?:unsure:

Reactions: Africaida

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Not that anyone in the DR cares but ...Dominican Football ( ....soccer ) season started on Friday....⚽

Soccer ...from any country...is huge in the our household...seeing that miesposa is half Brazilian ...and she grew up with a soccer coach father ...who , by the way , wants to come to the DR to see a few of the teams ...” live” ...COVID or no COVID.....:cautious:

If he turns up ...no prizes for guessing who will be paying for the tickets.... and doing the driving to the stadiums etc :rolleyes:

Anyone else following Dominican soccer ...with tips on the dos and the don’ts for the live games at the stadiums ...are they even allowing fans at the stadiums now ?:unsure:

My kid loves soccer and follows Liga and Champions League. If you have a link so where we could buy tix to go see a game in person, please post. Thanks!

Reactions: Africaida

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Not that anyone in the DR cares but ...
I'm in the DR and, being British, I certainly care about football. I see more English Premier League now than I used to in the UK. I've never seen a match here, although I have seen that there is quite a good stadium in Puerto Plata. I too would be interested to find out more about the game here.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
My buddy plays on the Montellano team, I'm not sure is it the "premier" league of DR but they do travel all over the country to play. He says the best players are Haitian guys, which would make sense.

Mar 30, 2006
I'm in the DR and, being British, I certainly care about football. I see more English Premier League now than I used to in the UK. I've never seen a match here, although I have seen that there is quite a good stadium in Puerto Plata. I too would be interested to find out more about the game here.

There are a few soccer teams in the POP area however Atlantico FC is the team who are in the LDF. We started our 2020 journey late this year due to COVID and currently no matches are being played in the POLI POP stadium. Atlantico are sharing the Cibao stadium with Cibao.
You can find out more info on their social media pages.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here's the website for the Liga Dominicana de Fútbol

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
During my 3 years in the Dominican Republic I saw only 4 (four) times people playing football (soccer):
  • a few Columbian children playing on a small field in Jarabacoa
  • a few girls somewhere on the countryside (yes, girls)
  • Haitians on a Sunday afternoon in the park Mirador Sur in the capital
  • two teams playing on a real soccer field in the Casa de Espana on to the Autopista 30 de Mayo (probably the players were foreigners)
I never saw a soccer game of Dominican teams, nor knew of existence of such a game, nor a real field (except for Casa de Espana).
During a a Euro or Worldcup it was very difficult to see any matches on your TV or even go to a kind of Sportsbar to follow a match, best chance was a big hotel.
Most Dominicans are basically not interested in football (soccer) at all.

The Dominican Republic is probably one of the few countries in the world where there is no interest at all in soccer, nor the possibility to play/attend a real game.

If you want to go to a sports event in the DR with your in-laws, your best option is to go to Baseball, but that is of course not soccer.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
During my 3 years in the Dominican Republic I saw only 4 (four) times people playing football (soccer):
  • two teams playing on a real soccer field in the Casa de Espana on to the Autopista 30 de Mayo (probably the players were foreigners)
I never saw a soccer game of Dominican teams, nor knew of existence of such a game, nor a real field (except for Casa de Espana).
During a a Euro or Worldcup it was very difficult to see any matches on your TV or even go to a kind of Sportsbar to follow a match, best chance was a big hotel.

The Dominican Republic is probably one of the few countries in the world where there is no interest at all in soccer, nor the possibility to play/attend a real game.

If you want to go to a sports event in the DR with your in-laws, your best option is to go to Baseball, but that is of course not soccer.

My kid's pick up league is run by a Dominicana. It's half Haitiano, half Dominicano.

My kid is good but I don't know how good. I'd like to see him against better competition.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

They have local leagues in Jarabacoa for both boys and girls and I believe a small men's league, and yes lots of Haitians play. Much of my wife's extented Family are Columbians so they are all interested in soccer.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In La Vega, football is popular. Has a long tradition as well. I have seen some matches on saturday afternoons when I lived there.

Amaia Diaz

Apr 14, 2020
Having worked in Dominican Football - and being the GM of the first Dominican Team to win the Caribbean Cup and play in Concacaf :) I can definitely say it's worth following. My husband is Dominican and when I told him I wanted to work in football in the DR he laughed at me -- 3 years later and it became a reality! We are now back in the UK but I still follow it and hope to be back soon!

In the meantime I can recommend watching Cibao FC in Santiago (my club) and Atletico Pantoja in SD which are the two more professional teams and have the more experienced coaches/players. Cibao plays on the 22nd October in the Concacaf League for classification to Concacaf against a Costa Rican team - it should be being televised in the DR - check CDN Sports... Pantoja are already classified for next years Concacaf Champions League.

This year the league was postponed for ages but it's now back on in a smaller format with games being played North & Central and South.. in a kind of mini league format.. not all teams are playing - I'm assuming sponsorship money is hard to come by this year and so a couple of teams (most notably Moca which is the DR capital of football supposedly!) have not registered to play. Games are a bit hard to watch on TV as it's still a massive baseball supporting country and many of the presenters (and videographers) are used to transmitting baseball rather than football so it's not quite as fluid to watch as European/South American transmissions but the level has improved dramatically since 2016 when the professional league was launched so I would definitely recommend picking a team to follow!!

Any questions please shout!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Having worked in Dominican Football - and being the GM of the first Dominican Team to win the Caribbean Cup and play in Concacaf :) I can definitely say it's worth following. My husband is Dominican and when I told him I wanted to work in football in the DR he laughed at me -- 3 years later and it became a reality! We are now back in the UK but I still follow it and hope to be back soon!

In the meantime I can recommend watching Cibao FC in Santiago (my club) and Atletico Pantoja in SD which are the two more professional teams and have the more experienced coaches/players. Cibao plays on the 22nd October in the Concacaf League for classification to Concacaf against a Costa Rican team - it should be being televised in the DR - check CDN Sports... Pantoja are already classified for next years Concacaf Champions League.

This year the league was postponed for ages but it's now back on in a smaller format with games being played North & Central and South.. in a kind of mini league format.. not all teams are playing - I'm assuming sponsorship money is hard to come by this year and so a couple of teams (most notably Moca which is the DR capital of football supposedly!) have not registered to play. Games are a bit hard to watch on TV as it's still a massive baseball supporting country and many of the presenters (and videographers) are used to transmitting baseball rather than football so it's not quite as fluid to watch as European/South American transmissions but the level has improved dramatically since 2016 when the professional league was launched so I would definitely recommend picking a team to follow!!

Any questions please shout!

If and when they start playing in SD, would you please let us know when and where? I know my kid would love to watch and I want to see him get more involved.

Amaia Diaz

Apr 14, 2020
If and when they start playing in SD, would you please let us know when and where? I know my kid would love to watch and I want to see him get more involved.

You can find the calendar here:
https://www.futboltotalrd.com/calendario-2020/

The teams in the South are Delfines del Este and San Cristobal - both play in the Panamericano at San Cristobal, near the capital

In the capital there are O&M and Atletico Pantoja who both play at the Felix Sanchez Stadium

There is a limit to 15% capacity for spectators but this shouldn't be an issue as they are large stadiums so you'll be able to go to watch any of them. It won't be the same as watching a match under normal circumstances but will be an experience. If your son likes football there are quite a lot of football schools in the capital - the expensive ones linked to schools or more local ones such as Bob Soccer School etc - if you let me know where you are based I can send you some contacts.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You can find the calendar here:
https://www.futboltotalrd.com/calendario-2020/

The teams in the South are Delfines del Este and San Cristobal - both play in the Panamericano at San Cristobal, near the capital

In the capital there are O&M and Atletico Pantoja who both play at the Felix Sanchez Stadium

There is a limit to 15% capacity for spectators but this shouldn't be an issue as they are large stadiums so you'll be able to go to watch any of them. It won't be the same as watching a match under normal circumstances but will be an experience. If your son likes football there are quite a lot of football schools in the capital - the expensive ones linked to schools or more local ones such as Bob Soccer School etc - if you let me know where you are based I can send you some contacts.

I live in Boca Chica. My kid is almost 18 and is Haitian. Any help you can give is immensely appreciated!

Amaia Diaz

Apr 14, 2020
I live in Boca Chica. My kid is almost 18 and is Haitian. Any help you can give is immensely appreciated!

Hiya, is it for your kid to play or watch? I am in the DR next week so will speak to a couple of the clubs - as the season is already underway and players will have already been registered with the League, I don't think they will be doing trials but I will check. There is also a large Haitian community who play at a more amateur level (but do get scouted by the league teams) so I will speak to some of my colleagues who are based in Santiago but may have contacts in the South.... The league normally starts in March every year so I'd suggest contacting clubs in Jan/feb to check out when the trials are. Good luck!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hiya, is it for your kid to play or watch? I am in the DR next week so will speak to a couple of the clubs - as the season is already underway and players will have already been registered with the League, I don't think they will be doing trials but I will check. There is also a large Haitian community who play at a more amateur level (but do get scouted by the league teams) so I will speak to some of my colleagues who are based in Santiago but may have contacts in the South.... The league normally starts in March every year so I'd suggest contacting clubs in Jan/feb to check out when the trials are. Good luck!

Thanks Amaia. I would like him to both watch and play. We value any suggestions you come up with.

Luis Becker

Dec 5, 2020
Santiago

We have all the information you need about Dominican football.

On the Dominican football league:
On the Dominican national fotball team:
On the Dominican football players:
On the Dominican female fotball
A guide of the Dominican football:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

So during your time in Jarabacoa you never saw the Sunday soccer at the Catholic School fields? They also have a league for women/girls and a boys league, and yes there are lots of Haitians playing as well. Before Covid I used to see daily pickup games in a field close to my solar. They stopped for a while but started again about a month ago. My step son( half Colombian) played in Jarabacoa as an 8 to 10 year old and then played in Canada weather permitting for the past twenty years. He is a big time soccer fan especially of Messi.

Reactions: NanSanPedro