Dominican guitarist Rafael Scarfullery

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Last night I had the pleasure of experiencing this brilliant young musician in concert right here in my home town in Virginia. All I can say is, if you ever get the opportunity to hear him, take the time to do it. While he is not a showman, his performance was truly virtuoso in all other aspects. Alone and unamplified, he mesmorized an audience of about 120 with classical selections from Spanish and Latin American composers, including Dominican Rafael Landestoy.

Among Sr. Scarfullery's achievements is the recipient of the 1998 Casandra award for best classical instrumentalist; the first guitarist to be so honored. He has lived in the US for a number of years and recieved his doctorate from Shenandoah Conservatory. He now teaches at 3 colleges here in central Virginia. In spite of his classical training & skills, he admitted with a bit of embarrasment that he had played "plinky-plink" music as a youth in San Pedro de Macoris.

He has a nice website with more info, pictures, and samples of his music playing in the background.

Rafael Scarfullery

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Outstanding Clips of his playing on his website. What an extraordinary talent. He reminds me of Segovia.

I can't help but wonder at the origins of his surname. It sounds kind of like 'Pedro Skullduggery'. :cheeky:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
you can also download his album and other not to well known great dominican musicians work
at:
Music - Pat?n Bigote
All the musicians has given their permission.
Enjoy!!

Thanks for the link Felix. He played 2 of those numbers; "Sencillo" and "Pueblerino" in the concert. My favorite was an Afro-Cuban lulliby entitled "Negrita".