Dominican gun permit

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The legal importation of all privately owned firearms, ammunition, gunpowder and reloading supplies is currently prohibited.

After securing residency in this country, one can purchase a pistol in a private sale or from a gun dealer. Nothing larger than 9mm. Most pistols on offer here are not new. I've seen a Gen 3 Glock on offer but nothing newer. Expect to pay up to and around $6000 USD for a recognizable semi-auto pistol and the licensing. Revolvers are available here. Licenses for foreigners can take a long time. You'll need a recent FBI criminal record check from the US plus all the other requirements here. The gun stores have quite the racket for helping foreigners get all the paperwork and testing done but offer little help with the bureaucracy of getting the actual license issued. Once the gun store has your money, they are for all intents and purposes done with you and not a part of the ongoing licensing process. You pay for the firearm in full before applying for a license. No refunds.

No rifles allowed here, even .22s. You can own a new shotgun. Most models are of the tactical variety and come from Turkey, China. Remington/Winchester are available but expensive. Figure in the neighborhood of 70,000 $RD for a Remington + the cost of licensing. Again, a license takes a long time. Minimum six months, probably a lot longer.

The process is so expensive and so convoluted and the results so erratic that some gun stores here on the North Coast do not sell to foreigners any longer. A box of 50 9mm ammo costs around 3000.00 $RD Mostly bird shot available for shotguns. A Box of 25 #7 shells is about 2500.00 $RD.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Windy pretty much nailed it while a few others did not even though "some" like to carry on as experts. Geezzz.

The "rules" appear to change every year and they don't tell you but that should be expected.

Harleysrock. A shotgun is a little cheaper then a 9MM and after you get it, you do NOT have to renew the permit. The process to buy and get the original lic. is about the same and a little easier.

I'm due again in Nov. for my 9MM. In Sousa I pay the bank and go to local clinic and pee in cup. Wait 3 weeks since nothing gets done on time. Go to S.D. and check into nice Hotel, next morning go to ballistics early and learn about any new changes. They issue card their or I have to wait and pick up at bank. Less then an hour. Twice my card never made it to the local Bank but I kept paperwork and old permits. No problems.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
DR Solar, tried via PM but you have those disabled apparently.

Three dislikes in quick succession, two for posts made a year ago?

What's wrong with the info I posted below? (Post #8)

Yes. You can pay your fees at your local BanReserva and get your drug test done at an accredited local lab at least 10 days prior to going to SD for the ballistics check. Most times, you receive your new license on the spot, but sometimes you don't. Having paid the fees at the local bank means your new license will be delivered there rather than to a bank in SD requiring you go go back to pick it up.

What's wrong with my post from today? All of my comments are factual, based on personal experience and attempt to portray an accurate picture of the process.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
DR Solar, tried via PM but you have those disabled apparently.

Three dislikes in quick succession, two for posts made a year ago?

What's wrong with the info I posted below? (Post #8)

Yes. You can pay your fees at your local BanReserva and get your drug test done at an accredited local lab at least 10 days prior to going to SD for the ballistics check. Most times, you receive your new license on the spot, but sometimes you don't. Having paid the fees at the local bank means your new license will be delivered there rather than to a bank in SD requiring you go go back to pick it up.

What's wrong with my post from today? All of my comments are factual, based on personal experience and attempt to portray an accurate picture of the process.

It's your presentation that degrades others that have been here way before you that you cut down and not always correct. That Simple.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you don't like the way I write, I assume you'll be happy to put me on ignore and never have to suffer another word. Geesh.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The license I have is for a different gun. I am waiting for the license for the shotgun. One license for each firearm.

Any updates ?

Years ago, maybe 6-7 years, we needed a new firearm. In the end we got a shotgun.
Now, here it is a tad diffrent from your adventure. My betterhalf allready had a 9mm license ( with a " falta", btw, DO NOT let that happen, EVER. More on that later ). We were going to go for another 9mm to replace the other ( long story ). But the gunstore dude had 50% on a shotgun, carandai brand. ( a P.OS.... but it goes bang, so.....).
Long story short, at that time, you could have at least 1 9mm and 1 shotgun on the same license. ( its actually 2 x9mm and 1 shotgun, i think ).
2 or 3 weeks later we went to SD and picked up the shotgun at the army place. 
Very, very simple process.
Please note : only because she allready had a gun permit.

Back to the falta thing.
Before shotgun. One year we didnt come to the dr, and we conviniently forgot to renew the annual gun permit.
No problem ! We will sort it out when we go back, we thought at the time.
Of course we conviniently forgot to renew when we did get back a year later........ untill a PN roadblock stopped me in the pickup with the 9mm under my thigh ( ermmmmm ). 
We then proceeded to renew the permit........ fast. As fast as possible . Lots of gratitude, to my at-the-time-futur-wife for not leaving me in an army jail :) :).
When you forget to renew yearly, conviniently or not, mind you, and then you do renew, well you get a big fat black cross on the back of your permit, in a small box.
You can only get 2 though. After that you are turned to dust, I think. (Or sent to live in POP, but everyone chooses the dust option ;) ;) ).
The problem is when you get checked by PN or such, they have no way of knowing why you got the "falta "  ( untill pichardo takes his fingers out, and furnishes the whole security forces with computers/tablets/phones........)
And, apparently, you can get "faltas"  for other infractions. Like waving your gun around in public, etc.....
In some cases, this can raise more questions and more time spent at the checkpoint.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I did create a thread somewhere else on DR1 inquiring how to get to El Belico awhile back. After 12 months of the in processo runaround. My lawyer, 1 army officer, one police official and I went to SD and had a productive meeting with several individuals in the MIP. I didn't understand all of the back and forth but it was certainly interesting to watch. The discussion from my team was quite animated and towards the end there were a couple of visibly uncomfortable ministerio types. It was decided that all I needed to do was provide a new police report from home and all would be good. Try as hard as I could to make the point that the one submitted with the application was valid at the time and the new one would be exactly the same except for the issue date.

No luck. MIP stood firm. Back to Canada I went, I had to go anyways for another matter. Returned with the record check and couriered it to MIP. 8 weeks later I picked up the shotgun. It was filthy. Obviously fired many times - much more than a new shotgun should have been fired for quality control.

In the end, with a lot of perseverance and the help of numerous friends and acquaintances, it eventually got sorted out. I am sure MIP never expected me to be able to turn up the heat as I did and I have a sneaky suspicion someone had decided that my shotgun would better serve their needs than mine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very interesting stuff...

Good reason to rethink gun ownership...
Stolen weapons, faltas..... too many loopholes for the police to take advantage of.

I considered a shotgun a few years ago when donP was leaving...
Bailed on the idea when faced with the regulations.

Taser gun is the answer...for me.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Very interesting stuff...

Good reason to rethink gun ownership...
Stolen weapons, faltas..... too many loopholes for the police to take advantage of.

I considered a shotgun a few years ago when donP was leaving...
Bailed on the idea when faced with the regulations.

Taser gun is the answer...for me.

Ok taser gun sounds good where can you purchase it in SDQ or Punta Cana area ? , what is the going rate for a taser gun

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The "profiency" test required one shot be fired. The psychological exam was one question, do you love your mother?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know if the DR has shotgun minimum barrel lengths? A short barrel 12 ga. pump is looking better and better. The handgun requirements are as intended maddening.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
No yearly renewals for a shotgun license, but all the other trials and tribulations of acquiring a license still apply.

My shotgun lic. was held up for 2 years even though I had a 9mm permit. All my papers in order. It was just some a**hole holding my permit up for ransom. I paid my Atty's and got it done rather then paying the extra "fee". Part of doing "business" in the DR.

When people post of their experiences it would be VERY helpful to know the dates. Something done 10 years ago does not apply. Even 2 years ago does not apply. Long posts with all the detail does not apply if it happened more then 2 years ago and even those experiences can change and differ.

Please provide current information and DATES. That will help a lot.

BTW: I've renewed my 9 mm for over 15 years every year. I expect the process to change every year. My shotgun does not need renewing or anything to be done. But THAT could change too.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My neighbor is attempting to get the escopeta license.

Formerly, her man held it and now she wants it.
She bought the gun, so it means a transfer to her and licensing.

Hoop after hoop she's jumping through ... NOW, Sunny Solar.... this month.

Been going on for months with no relief in sight.

Local officer assigned to try and work on it

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... home defense....flare gun.... baseball bat.....no problems with any permit issues.....

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
My neighbor is attempting to get the escopeta license.

Formerly, her man held it and now she wants it.
She bought the gun, so it means a transfer to her and licensing.

Hoop after hoop she's jumping through ... NOW, Sunny Solar.... this month.

Been going on for months with no relief in sight.

Local officer assigned to try and work on it

I don't know ww. I've never heard of transfer that worked. Perhaps someone has and can post.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I don't know ww. I've never heard of transfer that worked. Perhaps someone has and can post.

Years ago done 2 transfers that worked.

(1) I originally got a 9mm in the wife´s name, then transferred to my name when I got my residency. (Many years ago)

(2) Exchanged a 9mm with the gun shop for a shotgun (Took 6 months to get shotgun license) , had to go to SD to sign the papers for the transfer of the 9mm to the new owner that bought it from them. (2 years ago)