Dominican Hospitality/Helpfulness

Dec 26, 2011
Maybe they just call him that because he keeps repeating the word. "Ahi esta ese Miserable gringo pidiendo su cualto".
No offense WW, just kidding.

Y sigue..."Les cuento lo que hizo este idiooooota...jajaja..."
No offense. Just kidding. :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I hope that works out for you. I would have posted this after the check is in your account.
Good luck

Don't be so hasty to make comments like this. People are too quick to judge on the negatives and forget how generous and trustworthy Dominicans in some of our lives are.
I won't rattle on but consider this. How many of us can walk down to our local neighbourhood store and buy $100 bucks of crap on the promise of a kind word and confidence, trust and good will? Colmados do this every day, and for the most part support on rota most people in the neighbourhoods at some point through the month on a no interest unspoken agreement and understanding. Don't say it is because we are gringos, because it isn't. All that debt is taken on through good will, nothing more.
Bitch about the BS, the corruption, the backwardness of the country, the short sightedness in general, the individuals who have robbed you the bin men who don't turn up, the women who are filthy sluts, the men who are abusive bastards, and god knows the PN who are the bacteria from the rim of the devils arse himself, but there are very very beautiful people, inside and out just waiting to get to know us all, if we can forget about the negative drama we read day in day out on DR1.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Tell me how in the heck is this story similar to WW story? I know the process in wiring money over seas. DO YOU? Even when you purchase an item on Amazon it is couple of steps before your order is final.

I would think when someone is wiring money to their OWN account they would not make the mistake and send it someone elses account.

BTW When I retire from flipping burgers maybe I will leave my homeland, mother, sisters, cousins, friends, aunts, uncles grandparents etc and move to the DR, so I can be just like you.

Well, I wire money over all the time...

And with my internet banking it remembers the last account you wired money to... so, if you are in a hurry, not paying attention, I see how the mistake by WW could have been made easily...

You fill in the amount, you click on ok, and you fill in the code...

But, I do apologize for the comment about flipping burgers... That was out of line... Sorry.

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, I wire money over all the time...

And with my internet banking it remembers the last account you wired money to... so, if you are in a hurry, not paying attention, I see how the mistake by WW could have been made easily...

You fill in the amount, you click on ok, and you fill in the code...

But, I do apologize for the comment about flipping burgers... That was out of line... Sorry.

BelgianK

EXACTLY what happened -- went to the most recent transaction and hit 'send'.

A flash went thru my little brain b/c I saw a corresponding bank in the mix and Scotia to Scotia doesn't require that.
It didn't click with me.

FYI, other people -- foreign banks allow the customer to do this themselves - as BK is pointing out.
He hits the keys himself....

I never said anything about burgers -- I'm still in training on the French fry vat:tired:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope that works out for you. I would have posted this after the check is in your account.
Good luck

To use "EXACTLY" again........

Thats exactly why I posted it.
Read my post where I say that I get ridiculed at times for having faith in Dominican humanity.

To date, I'm still ahead of the game in that regard - more good than bad.

Too bad if you aren't..... try an attitude adjustment(just for fun) and see if your life improves.

Dec 26, 2011
but there are very very beautiful people, inside and out just waiting to get to know us all, if we can forget about the negative drama we read day in day out on DR1.

I have lived this. Very true.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have lived this. Very true.

I think its true.

I have said this before - how frustrating it must be to be 'trapped' here for life.
Visa needed to go almost anywhere and a visa that can be virtually impossible to obtain.

Those who are thinking people must be very curious about what happens "out there" in the rest of the world.

Hard to walk a mile in those shoes............

And I am no 'bleeding heart' - believe me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you lived here for any length of time,your ratio of "Good To Bad" would be different!
I guess with Chip on yet another vacation you are the resident,"I never met a Dominican I Didn't Like" expert!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
Of all the women I've been blessed to have shared time with, I only ever considered marrying two of them, having a family and all that goes with it. There's a nobility in their hearts.

Dec 26, 2011
If you lived here for any length of time,your ratio of "Good To Bad" would be different!
I guess with Chip on yet another vacation you are the resident,"I never met a Dominican I Didn't Like" expert!

There are lots of horror stories, for sure.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

And I am the resident who says "yes, I have met plenty of Dominicans, Haitians I did not like, and got screwed by an expat..."

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Did you not notice that I cited you as one of my "stone throwers"? Maybe in another ppost

Refered to as I I, Intestinal Ivan , also known as CC

I still love you.....

Read my senor quiniento post..... it ain't all perfect... but I'm ahead ---- so far.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

I think I qualify to understand the people and life in the Dominican Republic, I've served enough years to grasp the bollox of it all and understand the people. I left at the beginning of the year to test out other opportunities, see if they would provide a clearer path for our daughter, a less stressful passage through this for us, we are still exploring, nothing certain, we could end up back. But as much as I bitch and moan about those things I have mentioned above, I never forget that those good things do exist and are around me, it is my choice to persue them, or not. I would never say DR is a dream place to live, I've lived in too many countries to know fantasy land is only in the mind, fantasy. But only a fool would wake up every morning to breakfast knowing his day was going to be misery, and continue to do it, if he had a choice. We have choice and so we are exploring it, I'd be an idiot not to wouldn't I? But like I say, there is no ruling out the return full time, weigh out the options. If our personal ratio was good to bad was bad heavy then we'd not be considering it at all.
And so the reality that all our experiences are not the same is evident.
Reason being because if my ratio was so definitely negative we would leave and never look back and so would anyone else who was not trapped.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CCCCCCCCCC

Her it is...http://www.dr1.com/forums/business-questions/112771-shylock-money-lending-2.html#post949927

Don't even start me on the jerk who gypped me for however many pesos at the gas pump.

Or that large ballooned waitress in Sosewer who took advantage of me (financially) while my eyeballs were sliding into her cleavage.

Waayyy too much money for a beer - I forgot to ask first,...........
actually, I couldn't speak - my mouth was too dry and I almost fainted when the blood rushed from head to attend to other/nether parts of my anatomy.

These are unfortunate things that happen in the course of a Dominican day.

What about that basketball player in the supermercado that you tried to lure into DR1?
Where did she disappear to??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, to be honest i cannot remember any positive stories about DR, maybe because i simply brush them off: they are never funny or interesting. on the other hand, small life tragedies always put me in a great mood as they make winning emails to friends (or dr1 posts). i choke on chicken soup for the soul. it's greasy, bland and tepid at the very best. the spice of life lies in falls, big and small.

this is not to say that boring good stuff does not happen to me. it does, every day. i just never see it as worth writing about. happy does not make a decent base for good literature....

sometimes with one I love, I fill myself with rage, for fear I effuse unreturn’d love;
But now I think there is no unreturn’d love—the pay is certain, one way or another;
(I loved a certain person ardently, and my love was not return’d;
Yet out of that, I have written these songs.)

walt whitman

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well, to be honest i cannot remember any positive stories about DR, maybe because i simply brush them off: they are never funny or interesting. on the other hand, small life tragedies always put me in a great mood as they make winning emails to friends (or dr1 posts). i choke on chicken soup for the soul. it's greasy, bland and tepid at the very best. the spice of life lies in falls, big and small.

this is not to say that boring good stuff does not happen to me. it does, every day. i just never see it as worth writing about. happy does not make a decent base for good literature....

sometimes with one I love, I fill myself with rage, for fear I effuse unreturn?d love;
But now I think there is no unreturn?d love?the pay is certain, one way or another;
(I loved a certain person ardently, and my love was not return?d;

walt whitman

you have a tragic dostoyeskey soul

i love it

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is Jose a brother to Freddy Nu?ez? Or a cousin. En La Vega? Freddy is whom I send my monthly deposits, and I have almost done the same thing and sent money to him instgead of to myself, so can easily understand what you are saying, and don't realize why others are cofusicated.
Did you sell the car?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

sometimes with one I love, I fill myself with rage, for fear I effuse unreturn’d love;
But now I think there is no unreturn’d love—the pay is certain, one way or another;
(I loved a certain person ardently, and my love was not return’d;

walt whitman

Oooooo, that writing career just won't stop, will it?

It's in you....

Oh, and i can't tolerate Walt Whitman............ the other WW

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe i need to write it our or else i'd be sitting in a mall with a gun and a packet of ammo? ;)