Dominican Ingenuity

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
speaking of tires; we were following some visiting friends who had a rental car. They hit a pothole (hard) and had a flat so we took the tire to a repair guy but when he removed the tire he showed us the rim had cracked. Oh no! But I had a mechanic friend in town so we took it to him and he in turn ushered us to the heliarc welding guy who fixed the rim (and pointed out that it had been welded three times before and the crack he was repairing was in an old repair weld. In the real world, the visiting friends would have been on the hook with the rental car company for a new aluminum wheel rim and a new tire, but doing it the Dominican way, we were back on the road in under two hours for only 500 pesos. Not to say the next car renter will have a trouble-free experience - but who am I to protect anyone from their own chance at high adventure?!
I get a lot of bent rims on bikes, and found a guy in Santiago that does nothing but repair bent and broken car rims, something unheard of in the states except for megs-spendy custom and antique rims.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I get a lot of bent rims on bikes, and found a guy in Santiago that does nothing but repair bent and broken car rims, something unheard of in the states except for megs-spendy custom and antique rims.

They are all over Villa Juana in Santo Domingo. I went to one with a whole stack of bent rims. You tell them what you're looking for, and they'll find one in the stack, pull it out, and start hammering away with a block of wood and a sledgehammer.

I watched them take an factory aluminum wheel and beat it into submission so well it ran true when checked with a gauge.

Impressive stuff.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They are all over Villa Juana in Santo Domingo. I went to one with a whole stack of bent rims. You tell them what you're looking for, and they'll find one in the stack, pull it out, and start hammering away with a block of wood and a sledgehammer.

I watched them take an factory aluminum wheel and beat it into submission so well it ran true when checked with a gauge.

Impressive stuff.
They heat the rim up with a torch and then gently bang on it until perfect. Afterwards a gentle wet sanding on the heated area to deburr and errant metal or discoloration, paint and more wet sanding.

He charges RD$1200, and that's the gringo price which I am happy to pay.

In the states nobody fixes rims. They replace them. And OEM bike rims are spendy.

I have been fortunate that all my bent rims held air. They just wobbled.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Wish I could find a place that refinishes alloy wheels that are scratched.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This might be disingenuous ......

In my neighborhood we have a house with a tarp stretched out over the front porch... sun & rain protection

Anchored by 3 corners....
2 to corners of the house
The third is anchored to the power line on the road.

Given that Cabrera has had 7 fires attributed to Eden Norte.... not a good idea.

BTW.... Eden Norte just paid 12,000,000 to a customer here for fire damage....
The demands was for 22M......but still

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
This might be disingenuous ......

In my neighborhood we have a house with a tarp stretched out over the front porch... sun & rain protection

Anchored by 3 corners....
2 to corners of the house
The third is anchored to the power line on the road.

Given that Cabrera has had 7 fires attributed to Eden Norte.... not a good idea.

BTW.... Eden Norte just paid 12,000,000 to a customer here for fire damage....
The demands was for 22M......but still

I know it's like paradise here, but Eden Norte? :cheeky:

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Working on a colonial Building. [Doing the wiring] Putting lighting in the overhead area. Big beams supporting the roofing tiles. Cant let the cable show so needed to drill holes thru the beams to run wiring. Beams are 14 inches wide no drill long enough to go through the beam. Was going to go have a drill made for the job. Here comes a guy that was watching me work he saw the problem measured a piece of re-bar sawed it off and split one end end with a chizel. It fit in the drill and did the job holes thru the beams and now no wire's showing. He did not want any money just laughed as i drilled the holes thru the beams ! Saved me going to a machine shop to make a long drill !

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
holes like that you need a worm bit (has a screw on the end) self feeding, and an extension, they have different lengths.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So I had my vivero man y'day... couple of new vines (petreas)

He has a look around and sees a sick bush --
insects , spider webs...
Says he'll send some spray over,,,,

His ayudante says -
just spray the water from your wash on it -- works well !!
Dirty laundry water !!!???

A dominican solution

Like the mange (sarna) cure for dogs -
squeeze the naranjas agrias juice on them

I have done it - works like a dream

More free - easy to use Dominican 'fixes' !!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The soap/detergent in the laundry water is the part that can repel some species of insects. You can accomplish the same effect mixing water with dish washing soap. Usually decent at controlling leaf dwelling insects such as aphids, mealy bugs and the like.

Vegetable oil & soap
garlic
chile peppers
Neem oil
Diatomaceous earth

These can all be made into a spray that can convince pests to set up house somewhere else.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Disingenious this one

Today I park in front of a car at the colmado

Owner asks me if i'll do him a favor.... pull ahead a bit

He says,
I have no reverse in this car..... going to the mechanic now

BS -
he wasn't going to any mechanic

Life goes on...........hahahaha!!!