Dominican legislators reject US Embassy migratory alert

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Senado-Diario-Libre.jpg

In the Dominican Republic, legislators of all political parties discussed the 19 November migratory travel alert issued by the US government and the more recent ban on sugar exports of the US corporation Central Romana in a working session on Wednesday, 23 November.

In addressing the issue, the president of the Senate, Eduardo Estrella, asked President Luis Abinader to maintain his responsible position regarding the Haitian issue, as reported in El Caribe.

Senator Alexis Victoria Yeb read a manifesto rejecting the migratory alert issued by the US Embassy. The manifesto stresses the DR can no longer be the one country burdened with the historical problems of the Haitian people. Furthermore, it is time for the international community to take action on Haiti’s problems. 

The senator of the province of La Vega, Ramon Rogelio Genao, said the country is being victim of a defamation campaign by...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I disagree. The issue is cred. I don't see the US govt having any. And it's not just for this issue. It goes back to the Wuhan virus thing and even further to recommended vaxes to travel to Haiti (over 20 years ago for me).
I don't see the 🇺🇲 having any less (or more) credibility or sovereignty over the citizens of their own country than the 🇩🇴

We will have to agree to disagree.
I have stated my opinion
And you have stated yours.
Thank you for sharing.
That is how I learn.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I disagree. The issue is cred. I don't see the US govt having any. And it's not just for this issue. It goes back to the Wuhan virus thing and even further to recommended vaxes to travel to Haiti (over 20 years ago for me).
For US credibility remember all the warnings about crime in the DR that they posted from time to time. This from a Country with over 600 Mass Shootings this year alone……………

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
No country has their house completely in order on all things.
Therefore credibility is in the eye of the individual making the judgement.
Isn't there a expression about if people live in a certain type of dwelling they should not engage in a certain type of conduct ❓

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Kudos to all of these guys for standing their ground.
Don't back down. The US firmly believes it has control
over other/ smaller country's immigration policies.
Disgusting.
See post #2
We are in complete agreement.

This may be considered off topic...but I have noticed that in the Latin American region more and more governments are focusing on doing what they think is best for citizens of their nation.

El Salvador
Venezuela
Mexico

Comes to mind immediately

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
See post #2
We are in complete agreement.

This may be considered off topic...but I have noticed that in the Latin American region more and more governments are focusing on doing what they think is best for citizens of their nation.

El Salvador
Venezuela
Mexico

Comes to mind immediately

The current dude in charge of the USA has been wrong on foreign relations for more than 50 years. The DR needs to continue with deportations while being as humane as possible. The Haitians will squawk of mistreatment because that is the only arrow in their quiver.

larieau100

Aug 13, 2015
The current dude in charge of the USA has been wrong on foreign relations for more than 50 years. The DR needs to continue with deportations while being as humane as possible. The Haitians will squawk of mistreatment because that is the only arrow in their quiver.
I'm curious, I wonder if the Dominican government is spending a equal amount of time going after migrants from other countries such as let's say Canada and European nations, it's interesting I never hear of roundups of people from these nations. I don't even hear of roundups of Venezuelans, that's interesting?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm curious, I wonder if the Dominican government is spending a equal amount of time going after migrants from other countries such as let's say Canada and European nations, it's interesting I never hear of roundups of people from these nations. I don't even hear of roundups of Venezuelans, that's interesting?

This is called an attempt at pot-stirring. Not permitted and knock it off!

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Try to stay focused. 🥱

Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, the number of all the other foreigners put together doesnt equal a 20th of the amount of Haitians, plus the majority of Canadians, Americans...etc are either legal residents or came to customs with passports and thus are recorded by Dominican authorities. This applys to most Venzuelans as well, many have carried out the necessary steps to become legally in the country. You probably dont hear alot with your blinders on anyways. All other carribean nations deport all Haitians.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Well, the number of all the other foreigners put together doesnt equal a 20th of the amount of Haitians, plus the majority of Canadians, Americans...etc are either legal residents or came to customs with passports and thus are recorded by Dominican authorities. This applys to most Venzuelans as well, many have carried out the necessary steps to become legally in the country. You probably dont hear alot with your blinders on anyways. All other carribean nations deport all Haitians.
I think the Dominican Governemnt and it's citizens are afraid that if left unchecked Haitians would come here in huge numbers and would destabilize the country , put tremendous preassure on the schools and health care system , and eventually gain political power as is what happened in Guyana or Rwanda. Maybe it's just me but everytime I see a Haitian woman she is always pregnant.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe because any other types of roundups aren't posted by anyone in DR1? Take for example this quote from an article as recent as this past October.

En los últimos días, Migración ha realizado operativos de apresamiento de haitianos, venezolanos, colombianos y de otras nacionalidades que se encontraban residiendo ilegalmente en territorio dominicano, los cuales son enviados a sus respectivos países.

If it was commented on DR, I would be fery surprised if the focus of anyone's attention in this forum were those of any of the bolded nationalities.

Last edited:
Reactions: aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think the Dominican Governemnt and it's citizens are afraid that if left unchecked Haitians would come here in huge numbers and would destabilize the country , put tremendous preassure on the schools and health care system , and eventually gain political power as is what happened in Guyana or Rwanda. Maybe it's just me but everytime I see a Haitian woman she is always pregnant.
The Haitian immigrants are already doing most of that. Border control and immigration control are both required. Throw in a generous work visa system and strong enforcement. Any Dominican soldier or citizen caught taking bribes or transporting illegal should get the book thrown at them. Build hospital at or near the border and ship the women and children back as soon as they are healthy.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"En los últimos días, Migración ha realizado operativos de apresamiento de haitianos, venezolanos, colombianos y de otras nacionalidades que se encontraban residiendo ilegalmente en territorio dominicano, los cuales son enviados a sus respectivos países."

NALs, I wonder how many Venezuelans, Colombians and other nationalities have been arrested under the current campaign. I don't know the answer, but I would bet hardly any. However, the statement does tend to support the reports that some Americans may have been arrested.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
"En los últimos días, Migración ha realizado operativos de apresamiento de haitianos, venezolanos, colombianos y de otras nacionalidades que se encontraban residiendo ilegalmente en territorio dominicano, los cuales son enviados a sus respectivos países."

NALs, I wonder how many Venezuelans, Colombians and other nationalities have been arrested under the current campaign. I don't know the answer, but I would bet hardly any. However, the statement does tend to support the reports that some Americans may have been arrested.
Arrested NO. Possibly detained until verified ID.................

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Arrested NO. Possibly detained until verified ID.................
Who wants to go through that on your vacation ❓
Your statement supports the issue that started this thread.

I have heard (unsubstantiated rumors only) that support @drstock

Reactions: DR fan1990

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Who wants to go through that on your vacation ❓
Your statement supports the issue that started this thread.

I have heard (unsubstantiated rumors only) that support @drstock
It is not unsubstantiated. I did mention this a few months ago. My kid's older brother, Jeffly, was arrested in a sweep and held overnight. He has a legit (bought and paid for) cedula from about 15 years back. So I can tell you with first hand experience, it has happened. I also can say that I saw the tictok vid about the black American dude in cuffs. As previously stated, he got out but he did have to be cuffed and taken to wherever they take them. He was not deported.