Dominican married woman wins Miss Santiago pageant title

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Chantal-Silliman-Listin-Diario-1024x587.png

26-year old Chantal Silliman from Santiago became on 10 September 2022 the first Dominican married woman to compete in a Miss Dominican Republic pageant.

She is the first Dominican to represent Santiago after the organizers of the pageant relaxedthe rules that did not allowed the participation of married women.

Silliman won the right to compete to represent the Dominican Republic in the Miss Universe pageant in 2023. She has two sons, 6 and 4 years old. Her husband and two children were the first to go up on stage to congratulate her upon her win on 10 September.

Silliman studies interior design at Infotep. She is otherwise a full time mom and wife.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2022/09/22/dominican-married-woman-wins-miss-santiago-pageant-title/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How can it still be called the Miss Universe pageant?

Seems like they are MIss'ing something now.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Her looks are ordinary, most likely a political appointed victory. Why do they keep saying partner and not husband in the translated article? Rubs me the wrong way. Next year a tranny will win.
She is my friend's daughter. They are married with two kids. She is American, her husband is Dominican. She is nice looking, but I never expected this. First and only beauty contest she ever entered.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
She is my friend's daughter. They are married with two kids. She is American, her husband is Dominican. She is nice looking, but I never expected this. First and only beauty contest she ever entered.

Wait! So she's not even Dominican?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wait! So she's not even Dominican?
Half Dominican. Her mother is Dominican, she IS a citizen of the DR due to her mother, she was born here.. I guess that does make her a Dominican and eligible....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just a few small details were omitted...
No big deal.
Dominican mother, born and living her whole life as a Dominican Citizen with a Dominican Passport. Maybe you think she is an Egyptian????????????????????

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Her looks are ordinary, most likely a political appointed victory. Why do they keep saying partner and not husband in the translated article? Rubs me the wrong way.

Pretty offensive comment on a few different levels there, kiddo. I thought you were above those kinds of comments.

I think she is very attractive. Still, Santiago is absolutely chock full of very attractive women so I'm a little surprised she ran.

When they say the organizers changed the rules, do they mean the local organizers, or the Miss Universe organizers?

Also, looking into the future, let's say she wins the Miss Universe contest. What does that mean for her husband and kids?

Do they just stay at home and watch Mommy on TV travelling the globe?

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Half Dominican. Her mother is Dominican, she IS a citizen of the DR due to her mother, she was born here.. I guess that does make her a Dominican and eligible....
There is no such thing as a half Dominican. A person is either a Dominican or they are not. Imagine how the citizenship would work. "Well, since you are only half Dominican, you only get half of the rights that Dominican citizens have, your vote is only worth half of the vote of most Dominican citizens, etc."

That woman is Dominican. She can be something else when elsewhere, but in DR she is simply a Dominican. Case in point, lets assume she has dual citizenship with DR and some other country. Guess what? When she is in the DR, she is treated solely as a Dominican citizen regardless what institution she goes to. When she is in the other country she has citizenship from, there she is treated as a citizen of that country and the Dominican government can't offer much to her. In fact, most of what the Dominican embassy offers to Dominican citizens there doesn't applies to her, because her Dominican citizenship becomes "active" when she is on Dominican soil or in a third country entering with a Dominican passport.

If she isn't Dominican or a descendant of a Dominican, she would had never been allowed to take part of the Miss Universe competition representing the DR.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKY and jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The Mom is Dominican PLUS BORN in the DR,, there is nothing more Solid for being Dominican .. Dont care if the Father was a Martian on Holiday .
I dont see how her Dominican Citizenship Status could even REMOTELY be questioned ..

Reactions: JD Jones and SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Mom is Dominican PLUS BORN in the DR,, there is nothing more Solid for being Dominican .. Dont care if the Father was a Martian on Holiday .
I dont see how her Dominican Citizenship Status could even REMOTELY be questioned ..
Dominican citizenship is based upon jus sanguinis which is the situation in most countries. Where she was born does not play into it based upon DR laws. ( Few countries have jus soli.) If a parent is Dominican, then she has a legal right to Dominican citizenship regardless of birth place.

As far as her chance to win, I cannot predict the future.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Dominican citizenship is based upon jus sanguinis which is the situation in most countries. Where she was born does not play into it based upon DR laws. ( Few countries have jus soli.) If a parent is Dominican, then she has a legal right to Dominican citizenship regardless of birth place.

As far as her chance to win, I cannot predict the future.
Guess where the current Miss Domincan Republic lives? Here she is listed below.

2022Andreína Martínez Fournier-RosadoDominican Community in the U.S.T

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy