Dominican men...liars??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Exposure

Just an observation, but I am willing to place a bet that a high percentage of what I say is truth in this matter.

Most of the men/women who get "used" or "burned" by Dominicans, are tourists who have met their "Dominican love" at a resort, guide etc while on vacation.

I think it would be more appropriate if people compared the average person in the DR than to continually use an example of a 1-2 week vacation "fling" trying to turn it into "love"

Tom

C

carmen

Re: Natasha, you said it well.

I'm glad you've had such a positive experience. Let's hope they stay well so you don't have to support them......or at some point ask you for a loan....which you may never get back!

J

jim

look at the source !

when you go on vacation you are not exactly meeting the cream of the crop,you are not going to meet profesional people from good familys in discos,more then likely you are going to meet experienced people that will take you for whatever they can get,and tell you whatever you want to hear.......jim

B

Bert

Thanx Tgf

Gracias Hermano Tgf, for that expert clarification on the use of La Raza. Born on Curacao,part of the Dutch Kingdom, raised in the US and Europe from the age of 8 (weeks), I consider myself Latino and adhere to the call of La Raza !. It?s not a directly a confrontational term as it is a call for togetherness, standing by each other. It?s that sense of feeling at ease, at home when in a spanishspeaking (is)land (remember: I was raised with Papiamento, Dutch and English) I will not feel that way, say in Jamaica or British Guyana.
On topic : Please stop generalising. I?m sorry you fell into a snakepit of a macho, lazy-boned Dominican man and his no-good relatives. Yes, some Dominican friends ask me for a "regalo", a financial present when I leave, but it is up to me to give or refuse.

M

Mary Kohn

sobre la Raza

What did Gloria and Emilio Estefan Jr. write?

Hablemos el mismo idioma, bajo la bandera
de libertad.
No importa de donde seas todos
somos hermanos tu ves
Las palabras se hacen fronteras cuando no se
hablan del corazon si tu ves.
No importa raza ni religion, somos hermanos
en el corazon, pero que fuerza tenemos
Los Latinos si nos mantenemos unidos.

Let's speak the same language, beneath freedom's
flag.
Where you come from isn't important you see
we are all brothers.
Words become barriers when they don't come
from the heart. If you look,
Neither your race nor your religion is important,
we are brothers in our hearts, but what power we
Latins have if we work together.

I hope I understood. Remember the 'Latinos de
crianza' too. When it comes to your heart, it's
funny how the barriers disappear.
Mary

PS. I love this 'check spelling'

K

Katia

Re: look at the source !

Again, we shouldn't generalize about Dominicans working in resorts and discos. I met my husband while I was vacationing in DR and he was working at the hotel I was staying at. Although we knew each other a whole year before we got together, we are still married and we do love each other enormously.

My husband comes from a good family. He was raised with good values. They are well off compared to other Dominican families. I think that's what makes the difference.

Katia

S

Sarah

A loan vs. a gift...

In English, the two words have VERY different, very CLEAR meanings. On the other hand, in Dominican Spanish, I think prestar/dar/regalar seem to run together and all mean about the same thing - gift. Any other thoughts?

Reactions: David B
E

Eddy

Re: A loan vs. a gift...

Very true. In the past 17yrs. or so I have never heard of a Dominican paying back a loan. (without being pressured and constantly reminded, then maybe some will pay some of it but it usually takes forever)That's why owners of Compra Venta's make a fortune.

R

rabble rouser

Re: La Raza (right or wrong)

Tgf, the following article appeared recently, Sept. 17/00 Toronto Star, unfortunately it is not archived on their web site so i must copy it here rather than link-sorry for any spelling errors.

>>>Tracking reasons for racism. By Jay Ingram

Two of the hottest branches of science, brain imaging and genome sequencing, have inadvertently provided recent evidence that might lead to a better understanding of racism.
The first draft of the complete set of human genes, the genome, was announced a few months ago. Some geneticists close to the project now argue, based on the admittedly incomplete evidence in so far, that differences between races represent a minute amount of the total genome.
This argument is rooted in the fact that the human species is relatively young, probably 200,000 years at most, and arose from a relatively small number of individuals who migrated out of Africa and colonized the rest of the world. (There are other accounts of human origins, but this "out-of-Africa" scenario holds sway among most experts.)
In this scenario, there is too little time and too few individuals at the starting gate to have created biologically distinct "races". Added to that is the observation that those traits that define the races-skin, eye and hair colour, the shape of the eye and nose-are determined by a relatively few genes. Those traits are, therefore, easily changed in response to environmental variation. So, for example, skin becomes darker in tropical regions to protect against high doses of UV light from the sun.
It's all about external appearance, which by some estimates is controlled by as little as one one-hundredth of 1 per cent of your genes. By contraast, genes that contribute to intelligence or a variety of social behaviours are estimated to number in the hundreds or thousands.
But let's face it. Genome scientists can argue all they want that the idea of different human races is bogus buth there will still be plenty of people who will remain unswayed by those arguments, convinced that there are distinct human races.<<<<<<

the article continues on to describe studies of brain activity when test subjects are shown faces of people from different cultures than their own. interesting reading but quite long and probably not in accordance with board guidelines here. if you wish i will post complete article on bravenet forum (although it appears to be down today).

T

tgf

Re: Rabble Rouser - Good point

Race as an issue that will not go away as long as social inequities based on skin color or ethnicity remain extant in any society. Social darwinism has been pooh-poohed by scientists for many generations but there are always some groups that "need" to feel superior based on their own particular phenotypes, beliefs, and culture. Hence, the horrible world problems such as ethnic cleansing in the Balkans and Rwanda, racism or ethnic bashing in North America and Europe, and the rise of "Aryan Brotherhoods" and Neo-Nazis. When things get tough it is always easy to place the blame on some less powerful or more defenceless group of individuals (minorities).

Since this is a Dominican board, I can mention that this phenomenon is not removed even from that lovely society. The Haitian issue is one that is a very powerful emotive in Dominican society and politics. See the news blurb yesterday in the DR1 news about "Haitian beggars in Santiago" that was printed. Various Dominican papers know that negative news about Haitians sell papers and unify support among Dominicans. I am not saying that Dominicans do not have a right to defend their sovereignty, but the issue of rights for Haitian-Dominicans (i.e., those born in the D.R. and raised there) have often been trampled on as well. To make sure I cover this fairly, I will say that the U.S. and many European countries have far too many skeletons in their own closets to feel superior.

Prejudice takes time to erode. I hope that future generations can adopt the views of Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. and see people as people first. Celebrate cultural differences and respect them for what they are - different - not better or worse. So much for my sermon of the day. Peace!

P

Pat

Re: look at the source !

I agree with Katia. I met my fiance at a resort. He has never asked me for anything - neither has his family. He insists on taking care of everything whenever I visit. Many times I feel bad that he spends too much on me knowing how hard they have to work.

K

Karina

Re: Sorry

it is appalling to read these messages.
But, to what kind of people do you relate to? where do you meet them? if you trust people you meet at a bar or a discotheque it's going to be the same here or at the french riviera.
(Of course, the man/woman there will cost you more, but at beach resorts there's always people searching for others to take advantage of)
Dominican men I know, (boyfriends, brothers, friends etc.) will die before allowing a woman to buy them even a coca cola. Been a feminist (or trying to) I always argue to pay the bill when I go out and they never let me do it. If I want to pay I have to tell in advance and as an special ocassion only.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Re: Sorry

it is appalling to read these messages.
But, to what kind of people do you relate to? where do you meet them? if you trust people you meet at a bar or a discotheque it's going to be the same here or at the french riviera.
(Of course, the man/woman there will cost you more, but at beach resorts there's always people searching for others to take advantage of)
Dominican men I know, (boyfriends, brothers, friends etc.) will die before allowing a woman to buy them even a coca cola. Been a feminist (or trying to) I always argue to pay the bill when I go out and they never let me do it. If I want to pay I have to tell in advance and as an special ocassion only.
Not my experience!!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This thread is 21 years old.
It's crystal cgnkufi clear to anyone who lives here....not much, if nothing at all, has changed in the last 21 years. LMAO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.