Dominican parents - Amercian born Cedula Issue

tronic99

Feb 3, 2010
Does the guide listed on this website for obtaining a cedula being a american born citizen from dominican parents still apply? A friend told me he heard that some changes in the last few months, he had a lawyer get his for $15,000 pesos last year and did not have too do anything. Could anyone with first hand experience in this matter chime in and let me know how hard it was, or any tips to make the process easier and cheaper. Any help will merit a Presidente credit at the bar of your choosing. Thanks, Dan.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Where are you located?

Here's the number to the DR consulate in Paterson NJ 973-684-7491

You can get your cedula there if both of your parents are Dominican. I'm sure they can answer all of your question or at least tell you what to do and where to call if you are not in NJ.

Please let us know what they answer you...

tronic99

Feb 3, 2010
That number listed is a fax number, I contacted the Office in Manhattan and a lawyer that a friend of mine recommended. The american documents needed are an original birth certificate (If from NYC the office is located at 60 Center Street), you must also request a "Letter of Exemplification" from the Department of Health (125 Worth St) there. You must then go to 123 William Street 19FL ( Dept of the State) and pay $10 for the certification (Apostille / Authentication).

The lawyer in DR needs these papers, and copies of the parents Cedulas, she takes care of the rest and hands you a Dominican birth certificate in about a month and a half, no need to go anywhere. With the birth certificate you start process for the the Cedula, and then you are a Dominican. She is charging me $15,000 which I think is fair considering I don't have to stand in line or deal with the bucones over there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tronic, this all sounds very convoluted and expensive. I HATE Dominican lawyers, so I would do whatever I can to stay away from them...

Try this number: 973-279-3633

BTW - The buscones are no real issue anymore. If you have a Dominican person that can go do this for you, even better...

tronic99

Feb 3, 2010
Actually its not very expensive or complicated at all, here in NYC it is about $30 for everything and a few hours time. You might be confused with the fee, its in pesos so it works out to about $416 dollars. My friend already has his cedula, it took him about 2 months for everything and he didn't have to go anywhere or stand in any lines. I thought about doing it my self, but the time I can save having the lawyer do it will allow me to drink MANY more beers :cheeky:

Jan 5, 2006
I'm going through the citizenship process right now for my sons; which you must do before you can get a cedula.

Here's a link to the requirements from the Secretaria de Estado de Interior y Policia's website.

http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...QUISITOS_POR_OPCION_DE_PADRES_DOMINICANOS.pdf

The only change is item #3, which has been substituted for a long form birth certificate, with an apostille seal. In NJ, you have to go to 2 different offices in Trenton. With expedited service, it takes 2 days. It must still be translated and legalized as detailed in item #3.