You style of thinking speaks to that

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank 12...

There is an old adage about ROI,

Return of investment, is more important than return on investment

You style of thinking speaks to that

I don't know, because, to be honest, i do not know economics, i don't disco, and i don't know where the peso will end up at the end of the year. Chances are, i will be sitting here at the bar crying in my coffee, cursing myself, trying to read my coffee grounds, and trying to figure out where it all went wrong. Everyone is predicting doom and gloom for the DOP peso, and by all assessments, it certainly seems to be heading south for a suicide dive, but as i said before , i'm on the roller coaster ride for the long haul, even if it comes off the rails and heads into crowd taking innocent bystanders with us. I'm hanging on baby...i'll be screaming, "Godddammmit, why and the fukck didn't i listen to the coffee grounds!!"

Love Frank

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Good idea! I like them myself.

I appreciate all the responses on thus subject. I have decided to take all my pesos, over 25 years I have had nothing but trouble when dealing with Dominican banks. For example. I have loss money, both in pesos and USD, due to inactivity. I am currently in the US. I have met with representatives from Fidelity Investments. a well know and respected firm in the US. If I put money in a fully managed account which includes US stocks, International stocks, US Treasury Notes and bonds. The purpose being to preserve the funds invested and to grow with an average return of 10%. Due to all the uncertainity in the Dominican economy and the expected death of Chavez I beleive this is the proudent action for me to take. Thanks for your help.

Jan 9, 2004
Things to watch if you currently hold large amounts of pesos in the DR.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2013/1/8/46296/Unions-announce-push-for-a-30-wage-hike

While this seems to arise every year (wage hike demands), pay attention to any success or follow up success by other sectors.
This will be further evidence of a weakening peso and a prelude to increasing inflation......and a more rapidly weakening peso.

Again this is not a prediction....but it is an observation of the inevitable if these kinds of wage hike/increases take root.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Mrs whiskylee has been calling Banco Popular every day to change our Peso's into US$, Banco Popular has put a max
US $1000 exchange per day, We live in Blighty so she is a tad frustrated calling 3 to 4 times per day to speak to someone that can actually complete the exchange transaction

Whiskylee

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Mrs whiskylee has been calling Banco Popular every day to change our Peso's into US$, Banco Popular has put a max
US $1000 exchange per day, We live in Blighty so she is a tad frustrated calling 3 to 4 times per day to speak to someone that can actually complete the exchange transaction

Whiskylee

What are you trying to change?
Any large cambista can change RD>USD @ the offering.
Are you saying there is a run on the USD going on?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Whiskylee

Why not use BPD.com ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We are in the UK so can't change with cambista

If you can't get a pin and swap it online, as suggested, wire it to your home bank and call it a day.
I am sure this can be done by FAX if they need a signature.
Get the branch manager on the phone.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
If you can't get a pin and swap it online, as suggested, wire it to your home bank and call it a day.
I am sure this can be done by FAX if they need a signature.
Get the branch manager on the phone.

Mrs Whiskylee has taken care of it over the last few weeks and has only a few more days to complete all the exchange into US$, We are over in February to take care of the pin etc

Thanks for your input

Whiskylee

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Went to pay my rent today. My contract is in $US, even though I live in Santo Domingo. I took 14,000 pesos - thinking about the old 40/1 scenario. The dueno told me I owe another $RD 175. He was using 40.5/1. They also said Caribe Express is selling the dollar at close to 40.9/1. So maybe "IT" is really happening.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I LIKE What the DR Economy Is COOK'n!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merchants are pressuring the "Banco Central" to stabalise the exchange rate.
It usually can only slow the inevitable!
"C'mon 50 to 1.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Went shopping today.
"Food" is rising faster than, "A Honeymoon Hardon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes me jealous!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Does 50:1 really help? I mean prices would climb accordingly to a rise like that or? Not sure I understand...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does 50:1 really help? I mean prices would climb accordingly to a rise like that or? Not sure I understand...

Correct, it would just mean peso prices go up for everything. Then if the peso strengthens again, you won't see the peso price fall. That would be a lose, lose situation and I have seen it happen once since being here.