Dominican Pharmacies and Expats

What Dominican pharmacies are preferred by expats?

• Carol

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Los Hidalgos

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Medicar GBC

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Farma Xtra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Farma Value

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • El Sol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Dominican pharmacy chain

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Another Dominican independent pharmacy

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican pharmacies continue to play their role as a place to get countertop and prescribed medicines, but some are like mini-stores (none as large as the ones seen in the USA/Puerto Rico in places like CVS or Walgreens.) Carol is the most well known pharmacy chain on a natiowide scale followed by Los Hidalgos. While many are either national or more localized pharmacy chains, most are independent pharmacies.

What Dominican pharmacies are preferred by expats?

Any good or bad experiences? Ever change the Dominican pharmacy you used to frequent?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I sometimes have to pick a pharmacy based on whether they carry a certain medication or not. Also, some pharmacies do not give the 10% discount when requested. I tend to stay away from those.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I really don't like farmacia Carol - at least not the one in Sosua. There are no prices on anything and only one scanner in the store - really inconvenient and the prices are the highest anywhere. The prices on the drugs are also high and they rarely have the generic version of what I want - only the most expensive brand name available. I mostly use WeCare pharmacy in Cabarete and Sosua. Good prices and I get a 10% "discuento de cliente" on top of that.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I really don't like farmacia Carol - at least not the one in Sosua. There are no prices on anything and only one scanner in the store - really inconvenient and the prices are the highest anywhere. The prices on the drugs are also high and they rarely have the generic version of what I want - only the most expensive brand name available. I mostly use WeCare pharmacy in Cabarete and Sosua. Good prices and I get a 10% "discuento de cliente" on top of that.
... and Carol does not like to give a discount.

I will not use them any more.

Reactions: reilleyp and cavok

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
I recently suffered an irritating cough. I was prescribed 1x 10 tablets ; another 1x 10 capsules and 1x 5 capsules. Cost 2115 pesos. !!! How can anyone afford to be ill ???

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Here in Boca Chica, I use Barbara Maria. I'm happy with their prices and service. I tried using another one whose name I forget, but they ripped off my credit card to the tune of $150. I'm still fighting that.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I sometimes have to pick a pharmacy based on whether they carry a certain medication or not. Also, some pharmacies do not give the 10% discount when requested. I tend to stay away from those.
Is there an expected 10% discount at all pharmacies? Please explain.

Reactions: malko

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The important difference is only with the availability of medicines that are produced by reputable Pharmaceutical companies in countries with good controls. This is especially true with anti biotics and with blood pressure tablets but also with aspirin. If you buy products from an unknown company produced in Honduras for example one is not sure of the quality. I always buy medicine from Spain, USA or Mexico produced by a company like Bayer. it is worth while finding the pharmacy that stocks good quality medicine .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I like Carol when I am near one.... good selection usually.

My little town doesn't have one but we have 2 good locals I use

Like most people - go where the product is

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is there an expected 10% discount at all pharmacies? Please explain.
In my experience, yes.
You must ask for the discount (con descuento).

Side remark, surprisingly, I jokingly asked for "con descuento" with my surgeon and they gave me a10% discount on his fee.
The receptionist noted that I must ask, they can not mention it.

No venture, no gain!

Reactions: JD Jones

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
If you are paying with cash, a discount is usually applied if you ask for it.
I never need to ask for a discount with GBC. Once they have you entered in their system, you provide them your phone number on checkout and they apply a 20% discount.

The only thing I like Carol for is havaianas. They usually sell a pair for ~500-700 pesos.

Reactions: JD Jones

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The Carol in Samaná once charged me about $40 US for the equivalent of NyQuil.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Carol in Samaná once charged me about $40 US for the equivalent of NyQuil.
Broncochem is the equivalent of NyQuil and costs about 180 pesos. If you don't tell them exactly what you want(or don't know) at Carol, they will give you the most expensive, overpriced medication they have.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Broncochem is the equivalent of NyQuil and costs about 180 pesos. If you don't tell them exactly what you want(or don't know) at Carol, they will give you the most expensive, overpriced medication they have.
Saw a bottle of Tums once in Carol with no price on it. Checked the price it was the equivalent of about $24 US. Never buy anything there without checking the price...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you are paying with cash, a discount is usually applied if you ask for it.
Normally a 10% discount with cash, 5% discount if paying with a CC.

One should make a habit of always asking for a price, then once you're told ask what it is with your discount. That doesn't apply just in pharmacies, you should ask for a discount everywhere.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.