Dominican Plantain Pizza

C

Commander Ooh La La, USN

I have to chuckle at some of the things I read on here at times and I wonder just how isolated some of you appear to live in DR. You can get delicious, authentic italian pizza in DR at Italian-owned establishments, all or most of these places are easily found on social media or are in easily accessible neighborhoods in SD, Santiago and other major tourist areas like PC.

Quite a few of you need to get out a little more or get with the times and use more social media, at least to follow or learn about the many fine dining options available in DR.
3 addresses for Italian pizza in Santiago, please?

I will start with 3 places for GOOD Pizza in Santiago.
1. Mochy Pizza(2 locations) Av. JP Duarte and another store....further up(cant recall)
2. 212 Pizza on Autopista Duarte in the Esso bombero.
3. Pizza Pala...on 27 Feb(its ok but not the place I remember)

Sent from the Federation Intergalactic space vessel: DromOlax 3B55-90R

C

Commander Ooh La La, USN

If you know of any authentic Italian pizza in Santiago , I am all ears. Monchi pizza has seem to fall off. Ny 212 pizza is still pretty good. However, not authentic Italian owned pizza. Only place I have had good auhentic Italian owned pizza was in sosua And Boca chica.

The "foodie" scene is Santiago is Bustling!! I eat out several time a week and have found some real gems bc of Social media. I have also found the success rate is 50/50 at best. Someplaces are very over rated. Especially when making American style food. Wings, pizza, burgers ect. The food truck scene is very cool!!

2nd Mochy Pizza and 212.
The food trucks at the monument can be hit or miss but sometimes you do get good food.
Their are alot of places that portend to sell great food based on the effort created to build ambiance. Most places are only good for plato del dia, IMO. You are right about the problems they have adapting American finger foods to their menu. It is nouveau. The people dont have to know what it is or that is tastes good to like it, only that it is American.
Another thing, constant spoilsport to a dining experience: dont order any red meat(carne de res) items. Too tough, too thin and too small.

A

AlterEgo

I had some really delicious pizza in Dominicus, AnnaC took us there. Owners from Italy. Was called D’Elio I think, Anna would know. I think they may have either moved or changed the name, but worth looking for if you’re in Bayahibe area.

D

Dr_Taylor

It seems as it has been the North American crowds who have been requesting more "fast food" alternatives close to tourist locales rather than the RD populace.
Dont think so.
[Some] Dominicans think everything American is better so they would flock to places selling "authentic" American food. I agree with others franchise pizza is garbage.

The Commander has a point. Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a local who purported to tell me that Papa John's Pizza tastes better than the pizza at Punto Italia. You read that correctly. I told him that he was mad, i.e., crazy. This represented the equivalent of comparing homemade gelato with a low-quality U.S. store brand ice cream made with powdered milk product. At the end of the day, I concluded that the guy simply does not know quality food. As for him, a U.S. branded product means quality per se. Now, we know that such is not necessarily so. After chatting a few seconds more, the topic changed. Asking rhetorically, I wonder if this guy prefers an Outback steak to a steak dinner at an Argentine restaurant?

C

Commander Ooh La La, USN

The Commander has a point. Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a local who purported to tell me that Papa John's Pizza tastes better than the pizza at Punto Italia. You read that correctly. I told him that he was mad, i.e., crazy. This represented the equivalent of comparing homemade gelato with a low-quality U.S. store brand ice cream made with powdered milk product. At the end of the day, I concluded that the guy simply does not know quality food. As for him, a U.S. branded product means quality per se. Now, we know that such is not necessarily so. After chatting a few seconds more, the topic changed. Asking rhetorically, I wonder if this guy prefers an Outback steak to a steak dinner at an Argentine restaurant?
Yes 'tis true Horatio. The name meaneth all even if thine own quality is the bulls rear end.
I had a friend ask me to get her some Champion cross trainers from Payless. I got her Danskin cross trainers. We all know Danskin is a higher trade name than Champion. But Champion is all they see. They dont sell Danskin in Payless, they couldnt the brand commands too much prestige.
But now she is the butt of jokes because my higher quality Danskin shoes arent perceived to be the same as her lower quality budget retailer Payless shoes.

M

monfongo

To her they're better, what ever makes your boat float, to each his own, etc.

D

Dr_Taylor

Yes 'tis true Horatio. The name meaneth all even if thine own quality is the bulls rear end.
I had a friend ask me to get her some Champion cross trainers from Payless. I got her Danskin cross trainers. We all know Danskin is a higher trade name than Champion. But Champion is all they see. They dont sell Danskin in Payless, they couldnt the brand commands too much prestige.
But now she is the butt of jokes because my higher quality Danskin shoes arent perceived to be the same as her lower quality budget retailer Payless shoes.

To her they're better, what ever makes your boat float, to each his own, etc.
Perhaps, Mr. Orwell had it right all along: Ignorance is strength. :glasses:

D

Derfish

Some of us eat to live, and the nuances of food are irrelevant. I don't know a good cup of coffee from a bad one. "That coffee has been sitting there for 5 hours!" So what? I think instead of "Pour it out and make me a fresh one." As some folks would say. If I go to bed and am not hungry I couldn't ask for more. There were some nights in my younger days when I did go to bed hungry.
Derfish

J

jeb321

I just have this urgent need to respond that "good tasting food is the result of good quality products" used to produce it. Simple as that. But for the most part you get lousy quality local products offered in this country. That is the bottom line for me. Must buythe basics anything offered from the U.S. Thank goodness Nacional (at least now) still offers gold medal flour from US. if you are someone who values your own tastebuds, you know not to expect that dominican versions of anything American will taste right, because it won't. Cakes, breads made here, subject to the occasional exception (probably using american or european products) Toss out. Sad but so true.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never tried La Chabloa because they start serving too late.
Never tried Bailee's just because I never think to go there.

My ratings:

1A Ceiba in Perla Marina
1B Antonios in Cabarete
2 RaRo in Cabarete
3 Bologna in Sosua

NLB is not worth mentioning after trying it twice. Yuck. Unless something dramatically changed there.

Of those, Ceiba comes a bit closer to the pizza from home, but nothing really comes close to the Sicilian style that I grew up with. I grew up with a Sicilian style Medium crust, great Italian sausage, lots of olive oil and a wonderful tangy sauce. Here sauce used like it is painted on with a brush in a skim coat.

Antonios is completely different VERY thin crust Italian style, but I have grown to like it.